• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
When CO2 dissolves and undergoes reaction with water to form H2CO3 (catalysed by carbonic anhydrase), H+ ions are formed as the acid dissociates. The H+ ions react with haemoglobin (Hb) to form haemoglobinic acid (HHb). This causes the shape of haemoglobin to change, thus reducing its affinity for oxygen. So haemoglobin loses oxygen at places with higher concentration of CO2 (bohr effect)
Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
http://studyguide.pk/Past Papers/CIE/International A And AS Level/9700 - Biology/9700_s10_qp_23.pdf
question 3 part a i
I know one answer is tertiary because of the disulphide bond.
But what about quarternary it is because it has more than one chain?
I had a look at the diagram.

Primary structure: shows sequence of amino acids. This diagram does this. So the diagram DOES show primary structure.
Secondary structure: Alpha and beta coils being formed due to hydrogen bonds interacting every three amino acids or some fixed number.
Tertiary structure: shows the geometric shape of protein formed due to various bonds between R groups of amino acids. I think this is not shown here. You're right that there is one disulfide bond here between two amino acids within the right chain, but this doesn't indicate the SHAPE of the molecule.
Quaternary structure: shows the interaction between two or more polypeptide chains to form a protein molecule. The disulfide bonds between the two chains here indicate this. You might say this also doesn't show us the overall shape, but I think that may not be important for Quaternary structure, but rather the tertiary is involved with shapes.

Reaction score
Oh and you had a post about glycosidic bonds in cellulose with beta glucose and blabla, I was gonna reply but it seems you took it off.
I think it would've gotten 4 marks ☺

Reaction score
Oh and you had a post about glycosidic bonds in cellulose with beta glucose and blabla, I was gonna reply but it seems you took it off.
I think it would've gotten 4 marks ☺
Yes I did.I guess it was fine.
I had a look at the diagram.

Primary structure: shows sequence of amino acids. This diagram does this. So the diagram DOES show primary structure.
Secondary structure: Alpha and beta coils being formed due to hydrogen bonds interacting every three amino acids or some fixed number.
Tertiary structure: shows the geometric shape of protein formed due to various bonds between R groups of amino acids. I think this is not shown here. You're right that there is one disulfide bond here between two amino acids within the right chain, but this doesn't indicate the SHAPE of the molecule.
Quaternary structure: shows the interaction between two or more polypeptide chains to form a protein molecule. The disulfide bonds between the two chains here indicate this. You might say this also doesn't show us the overall shape, but I think that may not be important for Quaternary structure, but rather the tertiary is involved with shapes.
My answer was PRIMARY and TERTIARY.
When CO2 dissolves and undergoes reaction with water to form H2CO3 (catalysed by carbonic anhydrase), H+ ions are formed as the acid dissociates. The H+ ions react with haemoglobin (Hb) to form haemoglobinic acid (HHb). This causes the shape of haemoglobin to change, thus reducing its affinity for oxygen. So haemoglobin loses oxygen at places with higher concentration of CO2 (bohr effect)
Hope that makes sense.
Oh sorry I knew this!
Sorry for wasting your time.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes I did.I guess it was fine.

My answer was PRIMARY and TERTIARY.

Oh sorry I knew this!
Sorry for wasting your time.

Thank you!
You're welcome.

Btw the answer is primary and Quaternary. Tertiary is incorrect.

Good luck for your exams :)

Reaction score
View attachment 57272
Someone explain this please
the grade thresholds say that the maximum mark is 260 and 130
but then the components add up to 270 and 140 ...
Why do they say it as 260 and 130 then???

Reaction score
9700/12/m/j/12

21. Which statements about tRNA structure are correct?

1. There is a binding site for the attachment of a specific amino acid, as well as a different binding site for the attachment to the ribosome, in order to allow translation to occur.
2. There is a ribose-phosphate backbone with strong covalent phosphodiester bonds and areas within the polynucleotide chain where base-pairing by hydrogen bonding occurs.
3. There is a section known as an anticodon that contains the same triplet of bases as the triplet of DNA bases that has been transcribed to produce the mRNA codon.

A. 1 only
B. 1 and 2 only
C. 2 and 3 only
D. 1, 2 and 3

The answer given is B. Can anyone explain why the third statement is incorrect?
Thank you in advance :)

Reaction score
The
21. Which statements about tRNA structure are correct?

1. There is a binding site for the attachment of a specific amino acid, as well as a different binding site for the attachment to the ribosome, in order to allow translation to occur.
2. There is a ribose-phosphate backbone with strong covalent phosphodiester bonds and areas within the polynucleotide chain where base-pairing by hydrogen bonding occurs.
3. There is a section known as an anticodon that contains the same triplet of bases as the triplet of DNA bases that has been transcribed to produce the mRNA codon.

A. 1 only
B. 1 and 2 only
C. 2 and 3 only
D. 1, 2 and 3

The answer given is B. Can anyone explain why the third statement is incorrect?
Thank you in advance :)
Read it carefully.
There is a section known as an anticodon that contains the same triplet of bases as the triplet of DNA bases that has been transcribed to produce the mRNA codon.
Some anticodons on the tRNA would contain URACIL instead of of THYMINE.