• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can u mention which chapters should I finish in September
Umm I dont know.:p Im just a student I can just suggest things.
If I were you Id start from the start.Energy and respiration and Photosynthesis...

One more thing,if you need topic wise past papers then check this thread:
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/a-level-a2-biology-topical-question-bank.35678/
Oh and this might also help,maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZtJoFf-INn0A3j07a4MsA

Last edited:
Reaction score
The energy trapped by grassland plants is 10 000 kJ m−2 year−1. 2000 kJ m−2 year−1 is used by the plants in respiration.
The energy passed along a food chain based on this grassland is shown, in kJ m−2 year−1.
grassland → herbivore → carnivore 1 → carnivore 2
800 160 32
What percentage of the energy available to the herbivore passes to carnivore 2?
A 0.32%
B 0.40%
C 3.2%
D 4.0%

I have a feeling its simple math but I just dont get it! :/

Reaction score
The energy trapped by grassland plants is 10 000 kJ m−2 year−1. 2000 kJ m−2 year−1 is used by the plants in respiration.
The energy passed along a food chain based on this grassland is shown, in kJ m−2 year−1.
grassland → herbivore → carnivore 1 → carnivore 2
800 160 32
A 0.32%
B 0.40%
C 3.2%
D 4.0%

I have a feeling its simple math but I just dont get it! :/

Read the question carefully:

Energy AVAILABLE to herbivore = 10,000 the grassland trapped initially - 2000 the grassland used for itself = 8000
Energy passed onto carnivore 2 = 32

So percentage of energy available to the herbivores that got passed onto the carnivore 2 = 32/8000 x 100% = 0.4%

So B then :)

Reaction score
Read the question carefully:

Energy AVAILABLE to herbivore = 10,000 the grassland trapped initially - 2000 the grassland used for itself = 8000
Energy passed onto carnivore 2 = 32

So percentage of energy available to the herbivores that got passed onto the carnivore 2 = 32/8000 x 100% = 0.4%

So B then :)

Ty!

Reaction score
upload_2015-8-17_10-41-43.png
upload_2015-8-17_10-41-57.png
upload_2015-8-17_10-42-9.png
I simply wrote To push the blood into the capillary bed.
Im confused,would that get me the mark?

Reaction score
View attachment 55805
View attachment 55806
View attachment 55807
I simply wrote To push the blood into the capillary bed.
Im confused,would that get me the mark?
The role of "pushing" blood into the capillary is done by the heart. That's why it keeps pumping! So that blood can flow through all your arteries, capillaries, and veins. It creates pressure, because of which the blood flows.
Now, sometimes, yes we do have muscles surrounding vessels to help push the blood along. This only happens at places of low fluid pressure, which are the veins and the lymph vessels.
So in this case, since the muscles being referred to are surrounding an arteriole, your answer is not correct. The pressure here is still sufficient to ensure good flow.
The role played by the muscles here is control.
They control the flow of blood through this part of the body. They can squeeze and prevent blood from flowing through here into the capillary bed, or relax and allow more blood to enter.
For what reason do we wanna filter? Sometimes the body decides a certain part of our body doesn't need as much oxygen. For example, when exercising, our leg muscles deserve more blood flow (oxygen) than intestines. Or sometimes, the environment is really cold so, through vasoconstriction, the blood flow is reduced.
Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
The role of "pushing" blood into the capillary is done by the heart. That's why it keeps pumping! So that blood can flow through all your arteries, capillaries, and veins. It creates pressure, because of which the blood flows.
Now, sometimes, yes we do have muscles surrounding vessels to help push the blood along. This only happens at places of low fluid pressure, which are the veins and the lymph vessels.
So in this case, since the muscles being referred to are surrounding an arteriole, your answer is not correct. The pressure here is still sufficient to ensure good flow.
The role played by the muscles here is control.
They control the flow of blood through this part of the body. They can squeeze and prevent blood from flowing through here into the capillary bed, or relax and allow more blood to enter.
For what reason do we wanna filter? Sometimes the body decides a certain part of our body doesn't need as much oxygen. For example, when exercising, our leg muscles deserve more blood flow (oxygen) than intestines. Or sometimes, the environment is really cold so, through vasoconstriction, the blood flow is reduced.
Hope that makes sense.
Yes it makes complete sense.I was definitely completely wrong!
Thank you!

Reaction score
When placed in 0.0% NaCl solution (pure water), 0% of red blood cells remained. As the concentration of NaCl was increased, from 0.2% to 0.5%, the percentage of RBCs that remained steadily increased, so that in 0.5% solution, 10% of RBCs remained. As the concentration of NaCl was increased beyond this point, the percentage of RBCs that remained increased at a great rate, so that in a 0.9% NaCl solution, 100% of the RBCs remained. Increase in concentration beyond here did not affect the number of RBCs remaining, it remained 100% in 1.5% NaCl solution as well.

Reaction score
WL3vJ.jpg

Past Paper : May/June 2002.
Which Chapter in the New 2016 Syllabus this question belongs to?
I can't find it :S

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone explain to me how the collection of mature oocytes work in IVF?
In 2014 summer/43, the collection of mature oocytes:
Capture.PNG

But in 2007/winter, "outline the techniques of IVF", here they want to stimulate ovulation???
Capture.PNG

What is HCG/GNRH agonists and why is there no superovulation in the 2014_ms?

Pls helpp!

Reaction score