• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have been confused by the following question for a long time...Please help
The answer for this question is D.
But why can't C be right? I thought that stomata are open because of guard cells but not transpiration.

View attachment 49685
stomata is the opening (the hole) ....guard cells(the inner wall) contract n expand so tht stomata is open or close

loss of water potential maintains the water potential yes but in some conditions only..it maintains it only whn theres a net movement....like theres an excess of water vapour..so its being loss to maintain the correct proportion....but here best answer is D....thts the main reason....so its D

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have been confused by the following question for a long time...Please help
The answer for this question is D.
But why can't C be right? I thought that stomata are open because of guard cells but not transpiration.

View attachment 49685
transpiration does not maintain the water potential, as even in very hot weather a lot of water is lost by transpiration and it does not stop to maintain it..... water vapour is lost from stomata and when stomata is kept open carbon dioxide is allowed to enter more efficiently which is an advantage for gas exchange

Reaction score
Which organelles contain Nucleic acids among the following?
Nucleoli, Golgi Apparatus, Ribosomes, Lysosomes,Mitochondrion and Chloroplasts...pls give me an explanation as to why each of the organelles contain or doesnt contain Nucleic Acid:confused::confused:

Reaction score
Nucleoli, Golgi Apparatus, Ribosomes, Lysosomes,Mitochondrion and Chloroplasts...pls give me an explanation as to why each of the organelles contain or doesnt contain Nucleic Acid:confused::confused:
Of course Nucleoli contains nucleic acids coz it is present in nucleus of the cell.

Reaction score
Nucleus contains nucleic acids DNA and that all coz it controls activities of the whole cell :D

Reaction score
The Nucleoli, Ribosomes, Mitochondrion and Chloroplasts contain Nucleic Acids.
Reasons:
  1. The nucleolus is made up of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid)
  2. Ribosomes are made of rRNA (ribosomal Ribonucleic acid)
  3. Mitochondria have their own DNA
  4. Chloroplasts have their own DNA

Reaction score
Each turn of the Krebs Cycle only produces 1 molecule of ATP, whereas Chemiosmosis produces around 5 ATP molecules, where hypothetically, the NAD molecule carries 3 ATP molecules and the FAD carries 2.
i dunno exactly but chemiosis occurs mostly throughout the body...like it happens in bulk..so overall ATP is much
Thanks a lot :)

Reaction score
The Nucleoli, Ribosomes, Mitochondrion and Chloroplasts contain Nucleic Acids.
Reasons:
  1. The nucleolus is made up of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid)
  2. Ribosomes are made of rRNA (ribosomal Ribonucleic acid)
  3. Mitochondria have their own DNA
  4. Chloroplasts have their own DNA
Thanks a billiion....any idea abt the Golgi apparatus

Reaction score
Guys can anyone explain how the action potential is propagated?
What is the refractory period?
Plus how are synapses linked in the process of learning?
What is the treshold?
What is the absorption and action spectrum?
How we can set up the respirometer and the potometer?

Reaction score
transpiration does not maintain the water potential, as even in very hot weather a lot of water is lost by transpiration and it does not stop to maintain it..... water vapour is lost from stomata and when stomata is kept open carbon dioxide is allowed to enter more efficiently which is an advantage for gas exchange
Thanks Hanona! Great explanation. I now understand, thanks much. Merry Christmas.