• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
OnPaste.20160221-195919.png
OnPaste.20160221-200040.png
So yes, electric field strength is a vector quantity ... But are the directions opposite coz the field lines will go INTO both the alpha particle and the proton?

And this ...
force per unit charge M1
on either a stationary charge
or a positive charge

Should we write either of the two .. or should we write 'either a stationary charge or a positive charge'?? :p

Reaction score
View attachment 59394
View attachment 59395
So yes, electric field strength is a vector quantity ... But are the directions opposite coz the field lines will go INTO both the alpha particle and the proton?

And this ...
force per unit charge M1
or a positive charge

Should we write either of the two .. or should we write 'either a stationary charge or a positive charge'?? :p
same doubt, was just about to post..
please answer my above questions :(

Reaction score
It's negative. As 'r'decreases, Up decreases. This means that lesser potential energy is required to bring the +ve charge closer to the mass. If the mass was positive, extra work needs to be done on the positive charge since positive and positive repels.
I had the same confusion.
I got it cleared right now. As r decreases, Up is decreasing as well. Up is not increasing. :D Silly us. :p

Reaction score
View attachment 59394
View attachment 59395

And this ...
force per unit charge M1
or a positive charge

Ideally the definition is-
Electric field strength is force per unit positive charge, acting on a stationary point charge.

No it is basically since the charges repel and electric field strength point outwards for both positive charged particles, however since you are moving along the strength when maximum for proton would be minimum for the alpha particle and vice-versa.

Reaction score
the b part of this ... shouldn't the electric field strength be negative since the point charge is negative?

Ideally the definition is-
Electric field strength is force per unit positive charge, acting on a stationary point charge.

No it is basically since the charges repel and electric field strength point outwards for both positive charged particles, however since you are moving along the strength when maximum for proton would be minimum for the alpha particle and vice-versa.

Thank you.

since the proton and alpha particle repel? but aren't they considering the field strength of both separately?

Reaction score
the b part of this ... shouldn't the electric field strength be negative since the point charge is negative?

Thank you.

since the proton and alpha particle repel? but aren't they considering the field strength of both separately?
See, what is happening is that they're measuring the electric field strength the alpha particle and subsequently the proton.However when you are placing them in vacuum it is inevitable for them not to interact and repulsion to not take place so they do repel in conclusion.:p And from the graph also you can observe that moving along there are regions when there is field strength of both so we can exactly isolate them.:)

Reaction score
Okay so the reasoning I gave lol is correct so you can adhere to definitely:p, however in this question it requires further elaboration, okay so, if you realise the proton is positively charged so it is obviously going to be repelled by the lower plate so the electric force is repulsive.Next, you must be aware that the gravitational force acts perpendicularly downwards and it is attractive, though as I said before the sensible comparison would be that gravitational force is insignificant compared to the electric force acting on this particle.

Reaction score
Okay so the reasoning I gave lol is correct so you can adhere to definitely:p, however in this question it requires further elaboration, okay so, if you realise the proton is positively charged so it is obviously going to be repelled by the lower plate so the electric force is repulsive.Next, you must be aware that the gravitational force acts perpendicularly downwards and it is attractive, though as I said before the sensible comparison would be that gravitational force is insignificant compared to the electric force acting on this particle.
Please can u elaborate the calculations done in ms?