• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English (1123) : How'd it go guys? :)

Reaction score
Need help here:
l will appear in english language, olevels paper in 2014 summer session.
Members please guide me on how to study,which book to study,some key points regarding each components,how to improve grammer,word power and for that matter English as a whole.
Further is it easy to get an A* in english?finally i need to know the whole package which helps to achieve an A*.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

The very tough journey has now come to an end.

www.studyresourcecentre.in is a platform where you can find all valuable and helpful notes for Cambridge University Examinations.Presently it has a variety of study materials for the Cambrdige IGCSE/O levels and International AS and A levels. The very difficult task of searching for unnecessary notes and wasting your time has now ended.Now you get the opportunity to download as many materials as you want as we have taken years to gather these resources just for you, download at one click and the best of all is it’s files highlighted in RED. Mystudyresource centre includes various Solved past papers,Typed notes,Courseworks,Projects,Case study answers,Long essays,crosswords,ppts and more….

It’s of immense joy to announce you that our website has been launched today.So,so you can share our website to your friends and colleagues and help them because “Sharing is caring”.A very happy New Year in advance.Happy 2014. So what are you waiting for?? Click: www.studyresourcecentre.in

--Parth Mehta--

Reaction score
i really need your guys help. I gave my english exam in Oct/Nov session however i believe i made a blunder that is that in my creative writing i chose the topic "Keeping Fit" and wrote a story. So will the examiner deduct all my marks.

Reaction score
It is a choice either write essay of this topic or write a story but main point is how u write a story because sometime our story cannot impressed the reader or Examiner but well the point is this the Examiner will not deducted the marks . :) .

Reaction score
Hey ppl!, I knw im disturbing u ppl quite irrelevantly but as all of u are experienced and well-equipped, i wud like to have some tips
1) has leaflet been really excluded?
2) whatt if the word limit is exceeded
3) im unable to fine the may june 2013 paper, the one on this site: i cannot download. plz if anyone can post the whole question of this Article u talking abt, i'l b thankful and do tell what u ppl wrote abt it, this foreign vistor ( ideas).
And do tell ur grades of Englis :D

Reaction score
Hello Lilly2318,
We are all happy to help where we can, I'll now attempt to answer the questions that you've asked ..hoping I'm not too late!

1) Well, I appeared in the May/June 2013 exam, and there was no leaflet included. However, if you still have confusions, it's always best to check the syllabus for yourself. It is avaliable in the Past Papers section, I believe. Please check it out, and I hope that clears your doubts, if any!
2) Depends which word limit you're talking about. In case of the summary, I'd advise you to stay well inside the given limit as the whole point of summarizing is shortening of the given extract, therefore you might want to stay inside the word limit for this one. As for the composition, the examiners are not very strict, they give you a +-50 allowance, which basically means if you exceed the word limit by 50 words or you fail to reach the word limit by 50 words, they will NOT deduct your marks. For the composition bit, I will urge you to focus more on the quality of the content rather than the quantity.
3) Please inbox me with your email address if you still want the named paper.

Since you've asked, I got an A* with a distinction.
Let me know if you need any more assistance. :)

Warm regards,
Shizza

Reaction score
Hello Lilly2318,
We are all happy to help where we can, I'll now attempt to answer the questions that you've asked ..hoping I'm not too late!

1) Well, I appeared in the May/June 2013 exam, and there was no leaflet included. However, if you still have confusions, it's always best to check the syllabus for yourself. It is avaliable in the Past Papers section, I believe. Please check it out, and I hope that clears your doubts, if any!
2) Depends which word limit you're talking about. In case of the summary, I'd advise you to stay well inside the given limit as the whole point of summarizing is shortening of the given extract, therefore you might want to stay inside the word limit for this one. As for the composition, the examiners are not very strict, they give you a +-50 allowance, which basically means if you exceed the word limit by 50 words or you fail to reach the word limit by 50 words, they will NOT deduct your marks. For the composition bit, I will urge you to focus more on the quality of the content rather than the quantity.

Warm regards,
Shizza
Congratz :). cud u tell any helpful resources

Reaction score
Hello Lilly2318,

Warm regards,
Shizza
nd plz give me that ppr

Reaction score
Hello Lilly2318,

Warm regards,
Shizza
Woah! You got a distinction in English, well if you ask me that's one heck of an achievement.
There are so many questions i want to ask.Firstly, how did you prepare? I mean is there anything extra that you did and while attempting p1 did you just go with a flow like kept writing stuff that kept coming to your mind or if u had planned the whole plot from the beginning and stuck with it. I usually just go with a flow and fail to navigate on my set mind which I think is my downturn and just keep writing things that come to mind even though I had not planned them

Reaction score
Hello there, Izhaan.

First things first, you have Sheldon in your display so I automatically like you. On a more serious note, thankyou for the kind words, I'm glad there's someone out there who takes this as an achievement. Most people I've come across only take the Science brainiacs for actual achievers, so this comes to me as a pleasant surprise.

As for the answer to your question, as ironic as it may sound, I did not quite prepare for this exam. I, being the dumb person I am, opted for Sciences in O'levels. And to top that off, I chose to appear for all eight subjects in a single session. So yes, the Sciences pretty much screwed me up. However, I've always been a reader and I have written for a few sites and magazines, and as I always say ..languages are all but practice, so yes ..I guess the credit must go to all the writing I have done over the past few years.

About the composition bit, I think being a writer outside of the exam hall was a plus point for me there. But to be more specific, when it comes to narrative pieces I usually first assemble a plot in my head. Which is inclusive of the beginning, the climax, and the ending. What I do very often is start a story from the climax or the very end. Like I would start from the protagonist's death, and then eventually put in illustrative details to create an illusion of going back in time, and therefore opening up to the readers about who my protagonist is and why his story should catch their eye or be of any importance to them. So yes, what I mean to say is, I think of the entire plot and then intricately knit it all together in words.

I hope that answers your question, ask me if you have more, I thoroughly enjoy answering! :)

Regards,
Shizza

Reaction score
Congratz :). cud u tell any helpful resources
nd plz give me that ppr
Hello there, Izhaan.

First things first, you have Sheldon in your display so I automatically like you. On a more serious note, thankyou for the kind words, I'm glad there's someone out there who takes this as an achievement. Most people I've come across only take the Science brainiacs for actual achievers, so this comes to me as a pleasant surprise.

As for the answer to your question, as ironic as it may sound, I did not quite prepare for this exam. I, being the dumb person I am, opted for Sciences in O'levels. And to top that off, I chose to appear for all eight subjects in a single session. So yes, the Sciences pretty much screwed me up. However, I've always been a reader and I have written for a few sites and magazines, and as I always say ..languages are all but practice, so yes ..I guess the credit must go to all the writing I have done over the past few years.

About the composition bit, I think being a writer outside of the exam hall was a plus point for me there. But to be more specific, when it comes to narrative pieces I usually first assemble a plot in my head. Which is inclusive of the beginning, the climax, and the ending. What I do very often is start a story from the climax or the very end. Like I would start from the protagonist's death, and then eventually put in illustrative details to create an illusion of going back in time, and therefore opening up to the readers about who my protagonist is and why his story should catch their eye or be of any importance to them. So yes, what I mean to say is, I think of the entire plot and then intricately knit it all together in words.

I hope that answers your question, ask me if you have more, I thoroughly enjoy answering! :)

Regards,
Shizza

Reaction score
no, its fine ..i was asking abt the paper u told me in the first comment dat concerned me..nd is there any helpful resource website?