• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
one complete cycle is 360 deg. so half a wave will be 180 deg. if you start second wave at half point of the first one, you create a phse difference of 180. a quarter you get 90 deg. a thisrd of the quarter and you get 30 deg phase difference. If you still don't get it ask me and I will explain with figures.
dono waves k crest our trough ki height mai kb difference aye ga?like konsa factor effect krae ga?

Reaction score
See 9702/22/M/J/10 question 4 c. here's the link:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s10_qp_22.pdf
Is "Length= λ/4" always used to find the lowest frequency?
How do we know how many times the A and N are found?
Lastly, how can we know how many times we draw the whole spiral (with antinode at opening and node at piston) in the tube?
Thanks in advance

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s10_qp_22.pdf
question 6 d.. can somebody pls explain..
Thanks in advance...

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s10_qp_22.pdf
question 7 (b)(ii).. can somebody pls explain..
Thanks in advance...

BTW GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! :)

Reaction score
How many significant figures must by answer be?

Also in one question my answer was 4.82 but in markscheme its 4.8 so do they cut marks?

Please reply ASAP!!!!

Jaf

Reaction score
q1 doesn't have a part c and for 5b(i) .. you just make it lag behind 1/3 of half the wavelength. .. cause 60degrees is pi/3 so its should look like..

View attachment 11083

sorry, shakey hand on the touchpad
Uh... no. That not how it will be.
1) It lags. That means any particular crest/trough will appear later in time. In your drawing, it appears earlier. Had it been a displacement-distance graph, the sketch would have been correct (almost (see below) ... :p )
2) Both, can't obviously start from A.

Here's a picture of my drawing:
photo.JPG

Reaction score
How many significant figures must by answer be?

Also in one question my answer was 4.82 but in markscheme its 4.8 so do they cut marks?

Please reply ASAP!!!!

Keep all the answers you're not sure about to 3.s.f, they can't penalize you for that.

Reaction score
the new period is 0.25t where t is the old period.. so that means the new wave would occur four times within the old wave.. yeah? cause frequency=1/time period.. so you just draw a wave with the same amplitude but 4 cycles within one wave cycle on fig 6.2... and that would mean that your wave has a quarter of the period of the old wave.
AoA! angelicsuccubus: I think you sort of misread the question. The answer requires a sketch of the same stationary wave 0.25 T later. There's no change in period. So the correct sketch would simply be a straight horizontal line (on the dotted line). leosco1995: In case you're confused, check this simulation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standing_wave.gif :)
At t = 0s, the graph is as shown in the question
At t= 0.25 T, the graph is a straight horizontal line
At t= 0.5 T, the graph is again sinusoidal with the antinode 'crest' now being the 'trough' while the nodes remain exactly the same.
At t = 0.75 T, the graph is again a straight horizontal line
At t = T, the same graph as the question again.
(This only applies to a stationary wave. A progressive wave sketch is never horizontal at any time.)

Reaction score
and dude in another question my answer was 7894 but in markscheme its 7900 although i used exact values in my calculation , what about this?

you should round up the answer to 7890, that's 3s.f. They won't cut marks for this either.
Also, while determining the no. of significant figures, check the data given in the question. You should try to keep your answer to the same no of sig. figs. that corresponds to the lowest no. of significant figures given in the data in the question.

Reaction score
AoA! angelicsuccubus: I think you sort of misread the question. The answer requires a sketch of the same stationary wave 0.25 T later. There's no change in period. So the correct sketch would simply be a straight horizontal line (on the dotted line). leosco1995: In case you're confused, check this simulation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standing_wave.gif :)
At t = 0s, the graph is as shown in the question
At t= 0.25 T, the graph is a straight horizontal line
At t= 0.5 T, the graph is again sinusoidal with the antinode 'crest' now being the 'trough' while the nodes remain exactly the same.
At t = 0.75 T, the graph is again a straight horizontal line
At t = T, the same graph as the question again.
(This only applies to a stationary wave. A progressive wave sketch is never horizontal at any time.)
Oh, I see... good thinking.

Thanks for the correction.

Reaction score
Check this question , the value I obtained was 264900 which I rounded to 265k fr 3 SF but their answer is 2.7x10^5 which is 2 SF . Is it cuz the heigh is in 2 SF?

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Check this question , the value I obtained was 264900 which I rounded to 265k fr 3 SF but their answer is 2.7x10^5 which is 2 SF . Is it cuz the heigh is in 2 SF?

View attachment 11102

Yup. But the mark schemes are not always consistent. Here, they kept the answer to the same no. of sig. fig. as the data, but you'll notice that they don't always follow this.
So, even if you fail to keep it the same as the data, but give the answer to a reasonable number of sig fig. like 3, you won't be penalized. so relax. ;)