• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Why She Won't Wear Hijab!

Reaction score
Here's something I'd like to share. btw, these are not my own words.

The Question of Hijab: Suppression Or Liberation?
"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.
The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.
"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." [Noble Quran 33:59]
Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.
The question of Hijab for Muslim women has been a controversy for centuries and will probably continue for many more. Some learned people do not consider the subject open to discussion and consider that covering the face is required, while a majority are of the opinion that it is not required. A middle line position is taken by some who claim that the instructions are vague and open to individual discretion depending on the situation. The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) were required to cover their faces so that men would not think of them in sexual terms since they were the "Mothers of the Believers," but this requirement was not extended to other women.
The word "Hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of Hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Quran says:
"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." [Noble Quran 24:30-31]
These verses from the Quran contain two main injunctions:
A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and
the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.
Islam has no fixed standard as to the style of dress or type of clothing that Muslims must wear. However, some requirements must be met. The first of these requirements is the parts of the body which must be covered. Islam has two sources for guidance and rulings: first, the Quran, the revealed word of Allah and secondly, the Hadith or the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) who was chosen by Allah to be the role model for mankind. The following is a Tradition of the Prophet:
"Ayshah reported that Asma' the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma'! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not properthat anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to theface and hands." [Abu Dawud]
The second requirement is looseness. The clothing must be loose enough so as not to describe the shape of the woman's body. One desirable way to hide the shape of the body is to wear a cloak over other clothes. However, if the clothing is loose enough, an outer garment is not necessary. Thickness is the third requirement. The clothing must be thick enough so as not to show the color of the skin it covers or the shape of the body. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) stated that in later generations of his Ummah there would be
"women who would be dressed but naked and on top of their heads (what looks like) camel humps. Curse them for they are truly cursed." [Muslim]
Another requirement is an over-all dignified appearance. The clothing should not attract men's attention to the woman. It should not be shiny and flashy so that everyone notices the dress and the woman. In addition there are other requirements:
Women must not dress so as to appear as men.
"Ibn Abbas narrated: 'The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) cursed the men who appear like women and the women who appear like men.'" [Bukhari]
Women should not dress in a way similar to the unbelievers.
The clothing should be modest, not excessively fancy and also not excessively ragged to gain others admiration or sympathy.
Often forgotten is the fact that modern Western dress is a new invention. Looking at the clothing of women as recently as seventy years ago, we see clothing similar to Hijab. These active and hard-working women of the West were not inhibited by their clothing which consisted of long, full dresses and various types of head covering. Muslim women who wear Hijab do not find it impractical or interfering with their activities in all levels and walks of life. Hijab is not merely a covering dress but more importantly, it is behavior, manners, speech and appearance in public. Dress is only one facet of the total being. The basic requirement of the Muslim woman's dress apply to the Muslim man's clothing with the difference being mainly in degree. Modesty requires that the area between the navel and the knee be covered in front of all people except the wife. The clothing of men should not be like the dress of women, nor should it be tight or provocative. A Muslim should dress to show his identity as a Muslim. Men are not allowed to wear gold or silk. However, both are allowed for women.
For both men and women, clothing requirements are not meant to be a restriction but rather a way in which society will function in a proper, Islamic manner.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
adding to it, in this not so modest society i think it has become a necessity to wear hijab, this is an ugly truth but yes :/
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb..

The rulings laid down by Allah, weren't just for that time, they are for all times to come..We surely do not see the wisdom, and think that we don't follow them...but whatsoever we'll be successful if we obey our Lord..both in this world as well as the next...

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb..

The rulings laid down by Allah, weren't just for that time, they are for all times to come..We surely do not see the wisdom, and think that we don't follow them...but whatsoever we'll be successful if we obey our Lord..both in this world as well as the next...

surely. And Quran has all the life style for all times, even that to come.

Reaction score
Personally i don't see any solid reason of women not taking hijab...... Muslim women in france and other countries are an example for us.... They actually pay fine to wear hijab, on the other hand here people without any reason consider hijab a sign of backwardness. Thats a pity! :(

Reaction score
Personally i don't see any solid reason of women not taking hijab...... Muslim women in france and other countries are an example for us.... They actually pay fine to wear hijab, on the other hand here people without any reason consider hijab a sign of backwardness. Thats a pity! :(
yeah, true that!

Reaction score
theres this girls i know ..
used to be muhajab .. that decision opposed all her relatives tho they r muslims :S
.. her dad passed away later .. may he rip ..
but then in her dreams .. as she tells .. she seen her father what he told her was .. '' your always stubborn '' somethin like that =p
well then she was just confused scared ?.. she had mixed feelings .. all she did then was let go of the hijab ...
next night he did come up in her dreams again n said .. thats my daughter ! referin to him bein pleased with that :S
well why would that happen to her ..
why would that happen if you guys say she should feel relieved obeying what she was aked for ?
why would it happen if it was good for her !?
This was just a dream, not a real life scenario. Who knows if it was supposed to have an effect on her life, or not?! It could have been the devil in disguise, trying to deviate her from the right path.Even if the dream meant anything, the person who came in her dream was her DAD, who when alive, opposed to the idea of allowing his daughter to wear the hijab. It was not any other scholarly person, or a person with great knowledge.
And Allah knows best!!!!!!
I still strongly believe that Muslim women should cover according to the Islamic rulings.

Reaction score
umm this maybe a lil off topic but just read this somewhere..
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India...mbai-bans-entry-of-women/Article1-955569.aspx

just wanted to know what was the reason behind this..
coz Haji Ali is one of the best mosques here (i've been there, its awesome)..
p.s- no offence, just curiosity
:)

There are often cases as such.. according to knowledge i received from my mother and grand mothers. woman often do the KALA jADOO thing and try to put the peices or vegetables in grave. that is why culturally they are restricted often.. as i heard from a load of people

Reaction score
A brave Question?

As i get ready to go into the outside world
I look in the mirror
What do i see?
My beauty
Then i slip on the hijab
why?
I cover my outer beauty
So you take a look at my inner beauty
I step into the cruel and unjust society
of this “free” country
i look at avoiding eyes and stares
i hear whispering from every side
i think to myself “i am not here to please everyone”
i am here to please Allah
then i hold my head with the hijab high
Allah has chosen this struggle for me to overcome
yes this is MY struggle

To,The Sisters In Islam,Not Wearing Hijab/Niqab,

I Just want to ask

What’s Your struggle ?????

Reaction score
Allah has ordered us to wear Hijab, so that when God orders we have no right to argue cause It’s Allah’s order….Because He knows what is best for us …So why do u argue?
You may think when I wear Hijab It doesn’t looks good !! No…Wearing or not wearing u look the same….Even though if the person is so good looking but if ur character is not good no 1 is gonna like u…whatever u do !!
So beside taking care of ur outer beauty , It’s better to take care of your character (Inner beauty)

Reaction score
"Why do you reduce womanhood to high heals and lipstick colors?"

"You didn't answer my question."

"In fact, I did. Hijab is not just a piece of cloth. It is obeying God in a difficult environment. It is courage, faith in action, and true womanhood. But your short sleeves, tight pants..."

"That's called 'fashion', you live in a cave or something? First of all, hijab was founded by men who wanted to control women."

"Really? I did not know men could control women by hijab."

"Yes. That's what it is."

"What about the women who fight their husbands to wear hijab? And women in France who are forced to remove their hijab by men? What do you say about that?"

"Well, that's different."

"What difference? The woman who asked you to wear hijab... she was a woman, right?"

"Right, but..."

"But fashions that are designed and promoted by male-dominated corporations, set you free? Men have no control on exposing women and using them as a commodity?! Give me a break!"

"Wait, let me finish, I was saying..."

"Saying what? You think that men control women by hijab?"

"Yes."

"Specifically how?"

"By telling women how and what to wear, dummy!"

"Doesn't TV, magazines and movies tell you what to wear, and how to be 'attractive'?"

"Of course, it's fashion."

"Isn't that control? Pressuring you to wear what they want you to wear?"

[Silence]

"Not just controlling you, but also controlling the market."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you are told to look skinny and anorexic like that woman on the cover of the magazine, by men who design those magazines and sell those products."

"I don't get it. What does hijab have to do with products.

"It has everything to do with that. Don't you see? Hijab is a threat to consumerism, women who spend billions of dollars to look skinny and live by standards of fashion designed by men... and then here is Islam, saying trash all that nonsense and focus on your soul, not on your looks, and do not worry what men think of your looks."

"Like I don't have to buy hijab? Isn't hijab a product?"

"Yes, it is. It is a product that sets you free from male-dominated consumerism."

"Stop lecturing me! I WILL NOT WEAR HIJAB!

It is awkward, outdated, and totally not suitable for this society... Moreover, I am only 20 and too young to wear hijab!"

"Fine. Say that to your Lord, when you face Him on Judgment Day."

"Fine."

"Fine."

[Silence]

"Shut up and I don't want to hear more about hijab niqab schmijab Punjab!"

[Silence]

She stared at the mirror, tired of arguing with herself all this time.

Successful enough, she managed to shut the voices in her head, with her own opinions triumphant in victory on the matter, and a final modern decision accepted by the society - but rejected by the Faith:

"Yes!" - to curls on the hair - "No!" - to hijab!

"Headscarf Princesses"
Courtesy of Nayzak on deviantArt
Allah
سبحانه و تعالى​
says in the Noble Quran:
"And he (/she) is indeed a failure who corrupts his own self!" [Surah ash-Shams - 91:10]
"Nay! You prefer the life of this world; While the hereafter is better and more lasting." [Surah al-A'laa - 87:16-17]

Beautiful