• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

which subject is easier?

Reaction score
hi...i've finished my a level in 5 subjects- physics, chemistry, biology, maths and further maths. i want to sit for another subject in jan 2015. can anyone please recommend which ial subjects will be easier to finish within the coming 6 months? i had accounting in o'level but dropped it cause it seemed hard to me. but i had economics, and i did my o'level under CIE. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
hi...i've finished my a level in 5 subjects- physics, chemistry, biology, maths and further maths. i want to sit for another subject in jan 2015. can anyone please recommend which ial subjects will be easier to finish within the coming 6 months? i had accounting in o'level but dropped it cause it seemed hard to me. but i had economics, and i did my o'level under CIE. Thanks! :)
General Studies (2 weeks at most) or Pure Mathematics (at most a month).

Reaction score
easier than economics?
hey saifulahmed49. I just finished my Edexcel GCE A levels and i have to say, business studies is 1000 times easier than Economics. Don't know about Cambridge though. If you are doing Edexcel economics, it will involve a lot of application to the real world, especially the UK and EU economy, which can be hard if you are not from UK or if you are not aware of the UK economy. Also, Edexcel IAL accounting is not that difficult either. A2 Accounting is definitely easier than AS Accounting
You can definitely get an A in Accounting and Business Studies if you start your revision now. Again, that is if you are doing Edexcel IAL
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
hey saifulahmed49. I just finished my Edexcel GCE A levels and i have to say, business studies is 1000 times easier than Economics. Don't know about Cambridge though. If you are doing Edexcel economics, it will involve a lot of application to the real world, especially the UK and EU economy, which can be hard if you are not from UK or if you are not aware of the UK economy. Also, Edexcel IAL accounting is not that difficult either. A2 Accounting is definitely easier than AS Accounting
You can definitely get an A in Accounting and Business Studies if you start your revision now. Again, that is if you are doing Edexcel IAL
Hope this helps!
do i need to know UK economy even if i do the IAL?

Reaction score
do i need to know UK economy even if i do the IAL?
That's, actually quite a good question. When i had to resit an IAL AS unit last January, i had to do the IAL paper (i resat all GCE {not IAL} AS units with A2 this june)
Unlike the GCE papers it was based on various countries. So, I don't think its necessary to know specifically about the UK Economy if you are doing the IAL.
Remember I'm not saying that you can't do Economics. All i am saying is that its more difficult and requires more work and practice. If you start your revision now and keep doing it you can get an A from the subject. But, it will definitely be more difficult than business studies because the contents of the specification is larger, there is a lot more application and more essay questions than business studies.

I seem to have forgotten about the fact that you have done o'level Economics and haven't done Business Studies. In that case its really difficult to say which is easier. You have to start Business Studies from scratch (which is possible over a course of 6 months), even if the specification contents is smaller than Economics

Whichever subject you choose, familiarize yourself with the structure of the question papers and the mark schemes early on, instead of keeping it for the last moment. More importantly, familiarize yourself with how marks are given for different assessment objectives and how many points you have to write in each question, especially the essay questions in A2. What i did was write the marks structure and how many points to be written in each question in a paper and pasted it on my study table wall. It made it really easy for me when i practiced the essay questions. Again, continuous revision (both notes and past papers) is vital. Never leave it for the last week if you want to get an A. (Something i regret doing both in AS and A2)
I can give you my GCE (not IAL) resources for both Economics and Business Studies if you want them. Just send me your email ID. Cheers!

Reaction score
That's, actually quite a good question. When i had to resit an IAL AS unit last January, i had to do the IAL paper (i resat all GCE {not IAL} AS units with A2 this june)
Unlike the GCE papers it was based on various countries. So, I don't think its necessary to know specifically about the UK Economy if you are doing the IAL.
Remember I'm not saying that you can't do Economics. All i am saying is that its more difficult and requires more work and practice. If you start your revision now and keep doing it you can get an A from the subject. But, it will definitely be more difficult than business studies because the contents of the specification is larger, there is a lot more application and more essay questions than business studies.

I seem to have forgotten about the fact that you have done o'level Economics and haven't done Business Studies. In that case its really difficult to say which is easier. You have to start Business Studies from scratch (which is possible over a course of 6 months), even if the specification contents is smaller than Economics

Whichever subject you choose, familiarize yourself with the structure of the question papers and the mark schemes early on, instead of keeping it for the last moment. More importantly, familiarize yourself with how marks are given for different assessment objectives and how many points you have to write in each question, especially the essay questions in A2. What i did was write the marks structure and how many points to be written in each question in a paper and pasted it on my study table wall. It made it really easy for me when i practiced the essay questions. Again, continuous revision (both notes and past papers) is vital. Never leave it for the last week if you want to get an A. (Something i regret doing both in AS and A2)
I can give you my GCE (not IAL) resources for both Economics and Business Studies if you want them. Just send me your email ID. Cheers!
guess i have to come to a decision now. i really don't like that Edexcel allowed only a few subjects for IAL, again it would be unfair for UK students that we can sit for same subjects two times a year. it will be really helpful to have those notes. my email add-
[email protected]
thanks a lot for the help! :)

Reaction score

hi this is mumu my email id [email protected]

pls send your resources