• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What was the minimum mark required for A* last year in Math?

Reaction score
I have finished the Paper 4 today...the paper did seem easier than the past papers but I couldn't answer all of them.
The final questions were about 8 marks in total, on sequences, and there was an algebra question for 3 marks...I left those.

I think I'll lose about 10 marks from Paper 2. :(

So over all, I added up my expected marks:

Paper 2 = 30/35
Paper 4 = 57.5/65
----------------------
Total = 87.5/100
----------------------

As far as I know, to be certain for an A*, we need to score 90% minimum... I expect 87.5%.

That means I'll get an A, but I'm not certain about the A*. The grade thresholds don't really say what's the usual A*'s minimum required marks.

So how do they calculate that....you may use the last year's Grade threshold to explain it to me.

Thanks.

Hope you all did very well. :)

Reaction score
Re: What was the minimum mark required for A* last year in M

Can anyone explain this to me please?

Reaction score

A* is calculated by the threshold..
My teacher says they work out wat the an A is going to be and a B etc... They then take the difference between an A and B so if a A is say 80 and a B is 70 : 80-70= 10 then 80 + 10 = 90 so then A* = 90

Reaction score

So according to the standard of this exam's paper, it was very very easy yet I screwed up more.

So the curve will most likely be high as many students did well.

So what do you suggest that the minimum marks required for Paper 2 and Paper 4 will be to achieve an A* ?

Reaction score

No guys you understood it incorrectly
Ok I am giving you an example, in 2004 winter session for MCQ physics the min mark for A was 37 and for C was 29 which when you calculate you will get B
as 33 so for an A* is 37-33=4
4+37=41 which is quite an impossible number to score 41/40(LOL) :lol:
It is said clearly in the thresholds that no A* for an individual paper
They usually say 90% and above is an A*
But they actually mean 90% internationally not as your score, it depends
If your mark is 87.5 which is quite good compared to others then it is most probably an A*
To make you more calm this math paper was very easy for many pupil as result it made the students do more silly mistake
Trust me!!!!!!!what I told you
:beer:

Reaction score

Keeemoman said:
No guys you understood it incorrectly
Ok I am giving you an example, in 2004 winter session for MCQ physics the min mark for A was 37 and for C was 29 which when you calculate you will get B
as 33 so for an A* is 37-33=4
4+37=41 which is quite an impossible number to score 41/40(LOL) :lol:
It is said clearly in the thresholds that no A* for an individual paper
They usually say 90% and above is an A*
But they actually mean 90% internationally not as your score, it depends
If your mark is 87.5 which is quite good compared to others then it is most probably an A*
To make you more calm this math paper was very easy for many pupil as result it made the students do more silly mistake
Trust me!!!!!!!what I told you
:beer:

I think he did mean that they calculate based on the threshold for all papers together, not just for individual papers.

I hope my 87.5% is good enough... :s

Reaction score

It must be very good, just stay calm and I am tellong you if you get these mark it is for sure an A*

Reaction score

Rashu712 said:
I have finished the Paper 4 today...the paper did seem easier than the past papers but I couldn't answer all of them.
The final questions were about 8 marks in total, on sequences, and there was an algebra question for 3 marks...I left those.

I think I'll lose about 10 marks from Paper 2. :(

So over all, I added up my expected marks:

Paper 2 = 30/35
Paper 4 = 57.5/65
----------------------
Total = 87.5/100
----------------------

As far as I know, to be certain for an A*, we need to score 90% minimum... I expect 87.5%.

That means I'll get an A, but I'm not certain about the A*. The grade thresholds don't really say what's the usual A*'s minimum required marks.

So how do they calculate that....you may use the last year's Grade threshold to explain it to me.

Thanks.

Hope you all did very well. :)

To find the expected A* grade, find the B threshold, and subtract it from the A threshold and add it to the A threshold again. (The difference)