• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What Subjects to choose for A Levels?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I plan on to pursue my career in Computers and will apply for Software or Computer engineering at university level. Currently in O Level i am giving Physics, Chemistry, Computers, Maths, Add-Maths, English. ( already done with Islamiat (C Grade) Urdu (A Grade) and Pak. Studies (A Grade).... so what subjects do I have to take in A levels? I've thought of Maths, Computers and Business Studies ( also English General Paper ). Btw is it necessary to take Chemistry and Physics or either one for admission in universities that offer software and computer engineering degrees in Pakistan.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I plan on to pursue my career in Computers and will apply for Software or Computer engineering at university level. Currently in O Level i am giving Physics, Chemistry, Computers, Maths, Add-Maths, English. ( already done with Islamiat (C Grade) Urdu (A Grade) and Pak. Studies (A Grade).... so what subjects do I have to take in A levels? I've thought of Maths, Computers and Business Studies ( also English General Paper ). Btw is it necessary to take Chemistry and Physics or either one for admission in universities that offer software and computer engineering degrees in Pakistan.
Honestly, Business Studies isn't needed for Computer Engineering at A-level. In Pakistan, I don't think you need Chemistry for a Computer Engineering degree but it'd still be a good subject to take nevertheless.

I recommend you take Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Computer. Drop Chemistry in A2 if you find it difficult and intend to apply in Pakistan.

Reaction score
Honestly, Business Studies isn't needed for Computer Engineering at A-level. In Pakistan, I don't think you need Chemistry for a Computer Engineering degree but it'd still be a good subject to take nevertheless.

I recommend you take Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Computer. Drop Chemistry in A2 if you find it difficult and intend to apply in Pakistan.
I really hate chemistry and physics and find them hard especially chemistry .....i was thinking of doing business studies so that I'll have some basics on business. I'll still take physics but will take BS instead of Chem.

Reaction score
I really hate chemistry and physics and find them hard especially chemistry .....i was thinking of doing business studies so that I'll have some basics on business. I'll still take physics but will take BS instead of Chem.
Alright, your choice. :) As long as you have Physics, Math and Computers then you should be good to go.

Reaction score
Well you must only opt Physics Chemistry Maths and Applied ICT

nothing more or less
and yes without Chemistry, you wouldn't be able to get admission in any Paki uni in engineering!

don't opt Computing ... if you are interested in the field of the deep study of computer e.g. internal working, computer architecture, making of ICs, RAM etc ... then opt Computing ... otherwise AICT

and I would suggest you to go for Computer Science ... because it is a larger field than Software engineering as in CS you also study software engineering, artificial intelligence, coding, algorithms etc

Reaction score
Well you must only opt Physics Chemistry Maths and Applied ICT

nothing more or less
and yes without Chemistry, you wouldn't be able to get admission in any Paki uni in engineering!

don't opt Computing ... if you are interested in the field of the deep study of computer e.g. internal working, computer architecture, making of ICs, RAM etc ... then opt Computing ... otherwise AICT

and I would suggest you to go for Computer Science ... because it is a larger field than Software engineering as in CS you also study software engineering, artificial intelligence, coding, algorithms etc
Oh, i am very interested in deep studying of the field it's the only thing I have most knowledge about , Thanx for pointing out how much i need chemistry. Could you tell me whether the field is successful in Pakistan? Like is there a good demand for people who have done Computer Engineering ?

Reaction score
Oh, i am very interested in deep studying of the field it's the only thing I have most knowledge about , Thanx for pointing out how much i need chemistry. Could you tell me whether the field is successful in Pakistan? Like is there a good demand for people who have done Computer Engineering ?
well that's great ... then you must opt Computing in A level, not Applied ICT
well there is no as such specific computer field which I can say has the most demand
but yes, Computer Science and Software Engineering both have a good scope in market
and yeah there's nothing a Computer Engineering .. it is either Software engineering or Computer Science!

Reaction score
btw you complete your O level for now
after O level you would be having about 2.5 months to do research on all this thing ... :)

Reaction score
well that's great ... then you must opt Computing in A level, not Applied ICT
well there is no as such specific computer field which I can say has the most demand
but yes, Computer Science and Software Engineering both have a good scope in market
and yeah there's nothing a Computer Engineering .. it is either Software engineering or Computer Science!
Alright thanx for all your help :) and i was comparing the computer field with commerce etc. ... thanx alot !

Reaction score
Hello anybody?
I want to ask, what fields can i go to, if i take only Physics and ICT in Alevels and AS ?