• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What Subjects should I take in A Levels?

Reaction score
Now, although this question may sound weird, practically because the May/June session of O Levels is nearing, and people are more worried about it, i just want to have some idea of exactly what subs should i take in A Levels if i want to pursue the career of medicine
i am trying to get the admission in Harvard or other top unis, and info related to that will be very helpful
i do know that extra cirriculars, and SATs are also important, and that A Level is next in the chain of importance
i was thinking about taking
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Math
Psychology

if any one of these subs are unsuitable for my career, then please do tell me, and if there are any other subs that are important and that i should take, also please do tell me

thnx in advance

Reaction score
Physics, Chemistry, Biology are essential for Medical, anywhere. That's all that is required.

But if you want to take Maths, then that's fine.

Reaction score
but i need to take like max no. of subs that can benefit me

Then take:

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Marine Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Management, Further maths, General Paper, Thinking Skills, English Language.

Reaction score
Then take:

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Marine Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Management, Further maths, General Paper, Thinking Skills, English Language.
:eek::eek::eek:
k marine biology looks interesting
further maths - nah
English language- probabably
Sociology - no
EM - probably
What is general paper and thinking skills?

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:
k marine biology looks interesting
further maths - nah
English language- probabably
Sociology - no
EM - probably
What is general paper and thinking skills?

They're subjects. :p

How do you plan to get into Harvard? I mean, a lot of people get 4 or 5 A's.

Reaction score
Now, although this question may sound weird, practically because the May/June session of O Levels is nearing, and people are more worried about it, i just want to have some idea of exactly what subs should i take in A Levels if i want to pursue the career of medicine
i am trying to get the admission in Harvard or other top unis, and info related to that will be very helpful
i do know that extra cirriculars, and SATs are also important, and that A Level is next in the chain of importance
i was thinking about taking
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Math
Psychology

if any one of these subs are unsuitable for my career, then please do tell me, and if there are any other subs that are important and that i should take, also please do tell me

thnx in advance
Maths is not needed that much in medical line but it's good if you take it.. Although taking psychology will only open the fields of psychiatry... If you have to choose between two than take psychology.. Or else you are find with it..

Reaction score
They're subjects. :p

How do you plan to get into Harvard? I mean, a lot of people get 4 or 5 A's.
well from what other people have told me, it is not only studies that counts
u need to have extra-circulars as well. SAT too is crucial.
so amazing grades in O and A Levels, an amazing score on the SAT, good extra circulars, and a good interview is what i am working on

Reaction score
Maths is not needed that much in medical line but it's good if you take it.. Although taking psychology will only open the fields of psychiatry... If you have to choose between two than take psychology.. Or else you are find with it..
but if i take psychology, i might gain more knowledge on the medical side, and won't this improve my chances of getting an admission in unis?

Reaction score
well from what other people have told me, it is not only studies that counts
u need to have extra-circulars as well. SAT too is crucial.
so amazing grades in O and A Levels, an amazing score on the SAT, good extra circulars, and a good interview is what i am working on

SAT. How much marks is that for?
When you taking it?

Reaction score
but he does not give reference to the subs he took in A Levels
plus he gives reference to a GPA and MCAT. When should i give that?
dude u do know that u need to go to an undergraduate school and get a degree before u can try the MCAT and get your application CONSIDERED?

Reaction score
but if i take psychology, i might gain more knowledge on the medical side, and won't this improve my chances of getting an admission in unis?
Yes psychology is helpful, Keep in mind that take the number of subjects which you can easily manage... What I advise you is that if you are trying for Harwood then also take your chances on University of yale, MIT, Texas A/U, University of california... It would be heaven if u get there... SAT I and II are necessary and min marks required is 2100... There application procedure is tricky and it start right after Oct till november... So be quick...

Reaction score
Well, distinctions in O and A-Level, and 2300+ in SAT. And extra-curricular stuff.

That can get you into Harvard. :)

But i think the 5 subjects you chose are perfect. Psychology is a good subject.
u forget loads of prayer
but there is another member who is taking 9 subs in A Levels and aiming for admission in Cambridge. He is also a member of a squash club
so that made me think :D

Reaction score
Yes psychology is helpful, Keep in mind that take the number of subjects which you can easily manage... What I advise you is that if you are trying for Harwood then also take your chances on University of yale, MIT, Texas A/U, University of california... It would be heaven if u get there... SAT I and II are necessary and min marks required is 2100... There application procedure is tricky and it start right after Oct till november... So be quick...
well for medicine, the best is Harvard
i also read that a 2300+ score is required on the SAT

Reaction score
dude u do know that u need to go to an undergraduate school and get a degree before u can try the MCAT and get your application CONSIDERED?
:confused::confused::confused:
i am confused
during a levels, u give ur SATs, and after completing a levels, i need to go to medical school. so i have to give the GPA and MCAT while in medical school, right?

Reaction score
u forget loads of prayer
but there is another member who is taking 9 subs in A Levels and aiming for admission in Cambridge. He is also a member of a squash club
so that made me think :D

Then, why not take 10?

Getting 4 or 5 A's is no big deal, a lot of people get that. A lot of people give the SAT's.