• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Wave motion

Reaction score
Wave motion is tied to wave types. Longitudinal waves move back and forth like a compressed spring. And Transverse waves move up and down like a when you shake a rope.
And of course Speed = frequency x wave length.

Reaction score
I mean your question doesn't make sense. Wave motion is a sub-topic in the study of waves, but definition of wave motion is "movement of a wave".

If, however, you wish to know about transverse waves and longitudinal waves, I'd tell you that transverse waves = waves where the medium vibrates perpendicularly to direction of wave; so if the wave is traveling vertically, the medium vibrates horizontally and vice versa. On the other hand, longitudinal waves = waves where the medium vibrates parallel to the direction of wave; so if the wave is traveling vertically, the medium vibrates vertically too. All waves transfer energy in the direction of travel, without transfer of matter. All waves in OL are transverse except for all types of sound (sonic) waves, and seismic P-waves. As unplugged mentioned, v=fλ (speed = frequency x wavelength -- all in SI units) and v=d/t (speed = distance traveled / time taken) For echoes, distance traveled is twice the distance to the reflector, (or you can say that time is half the time taken to return) or v= 2d / t.

There's lots of other stuff, of course -- it would be useful to know what exactly you wish to know, so I can focus on it, rather than trying to summarize the entire topic.