• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Value of A* and A

Reaction score
AoA,
Is the value of the grade A the same before A* came or has been lowered?

Reaction score
I mean like are the scholarships still at As or are A*s now?
N wasn't A at 90?

Reaction score
no i dont think the value of A has been downgraded it is same as before all schools offer 100 percent scholarship at 8A

Reaction score
killer22 said:
I mean like are the scholarships still at As or are A*s now?
N wasn't A at 90?
A was always at 80. A* was added from 2010 to encourage high-achievers within the "A" group

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
^ Rightly said. And scholarships are still offered at A-grade not only A*s!

Reaction score
But v have been always told that A was at 90 first. But when they introduced A*, they lowered it to 80

Reaction score
yeah man...........i always thought like that too that A was at 90 and now A* has taken its place and A has come down to 80 :/

Reaction score
well, it has not fallen. see previously if a person got , lets say 130 above out of 150, he would get an A. But now they have introduced a "special consideration" to those who will get 140 above ie A*. between 130-140 still lies an A.....hope u get it :)

Reaction score
nah, it was just an example. every year it depends on the overall grade thresholds

Reaction score
that was just an example killer, what she meant to say is that the previous A* has been broken down A and A* now.

Reaction score
There is a percentile system that is followed by the CIE and other examination boards and not a simple percentage system. The percentile system is a complicated procedure of deciding a Uniform Mark after looking at how difficult the examination in hand was, and by considering how well did the students did plus many other reasons. The marks printed on the grade sheet is not actually the percentage achieved by the student in that specific examination but it is the Unifor Percentage Mark which changes in every examination session and for each and every subject. There is no fixed percentage in these examinations. The 80% and the 90%, you are reffering to is just the scaled marks.

Hope this helped. :)