• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Urgent question (AS Maths paper1)

Reaction score
I kindly need a fast reply as my exam is tomorrow.
My question is about functions.
suppose i'm given a quadratic function (2nd degree), and I'm told to find the inverse of the function.
When I solve it I get : ±√(x+...)

My question is how to determine if its + or - in the answer.
And how to determine if the domain/range is >=/<= or >/< only.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I kindly need a fast reply as my exam is tomorrow.
My question is about functions.
suppose i'm given a quadratic function (2nd degree), and I'm told to find the inverse of the function.
When I solve it I get : ±√(x+...)

My question is how to determine if its + or - in the answer.
And how to determine if the domain/range is >=/<= or >/< only.

Thanks in advance.
hehe i have the same problem bro i dnt knw how to put the range in which inequality signs :p

Reaction score
For the given domain, if f(x) is decreasing function, keep the negative sign... if its increasing the keep the + sign.
For e.g n07_p1
q11. (v). Calculate g-1(x):
g(x)=2x^2 - 8x+11 for x=<2
g(x) = 2x^2 - 8x +11
g(x)=y
y= 2x^2 - 8x +11
make x the subject
2(x-2)^2 = y-3
(x-2) = ±√(.5(y-3)
For the given domain, g(x) is a decreasing function, therefore we keep the negative sign with the radical.
x= 2-√[(y-3)/2]
g(x)=y
g-1 ( y ) = 2 - √[(y-3)/2]
g-1(x) = 2 - √[(x-3)/2] Ans.

Reaction score
Hey..people..can anyone give all the difficult questions that could ever exist for p1....got my exams tomorrow..

Reaction score
For the given domain, if f(x) is decreasing function, keep the negative sign... if its increasing the keep the + sign.
For e.g n07_p1
q11. (v). Calculate g-1(x):
g(x)=2x^2 - 8x+11 for x=<2
g(x) = 2x^2 - 8x +11
g(x)=y
y= 2x^2 - 8x +11
make x the subject
2(x-2)^2 = y-3
(x-2) = ±√(.5(y-3)
For the given domain, g(x) is a decreasing function, therefore we keep the negative sign with the radical.
x= 2-√[(y-3)/2]
g(x)=y
g-1 ( y ) = 2 - √[(y-3)/2]
g-1(x) = 2 - √[(x-3)/2] Ans.
in my opinion ..since domain of g(x) is less than or equals to 2 ( which is range of g-1) using - sign gives the value of g-1 less than 2..so - sign is used

Reaction score
Thanks mehdi1028

But what about nov08 no.10 (iv)

function is: 6x - x^2 at x>=3
at this domain I think its a decreasing function, right?
so I should keep the - sign, but the mark scheme didn't.

And what about the domain/range when to put = sign in the equality and when to remove it?

Reaction score
Thanks mehdi1028

But what about nov08 no.10 (iv)

function is: 6x - x^2 at x>=3
at this domain I think its a decreasing function, right?
so I should keep the - sign, but the mark scheme didn't.

And what about the domain/range when to put = sign in the equality and when to remove it?
h(x) is valid for x>=3
so h(x) is on the right side of the symmetry. Therefore only keep the positive sign with the radical.

I dont know abt the second part ... and dont worry abour range and domain .. that is of just 1 mark. You can still get 73 or 74 :)

Reaction score
about the + or - sign...just remember that whenever the domain is less than the x-coordinate of the vertex then we put negative sign otherwise its positive

Reaction score
h(x) is valid for x>=3
so h(x) is on the right side of the symmetry. Therefore only keep the positive sign with the radical.

I dont know abt the second part ... and dont worry abour range and domain .. that is of just 1 mark. You can still get 73 or 74 :)

Sry but I don't understand. What do you mean by right side of symmetry. What's the difference between this and the example you mentioned. Could you please explain a little bit more?

And by the way it's out of 75 not 74 ;)

Reaction score
Concerning the domain and range part:
part of ms, s12_11:
mathsk.png

In the first column on the left where it's written: domain is x>k-4 or ...........
and on the third column it's written accept greater than represented in a bigger > sign.
The > sign on the left is smaller than that on the right. What's the difference between both of them?
and does the smaller mean >= or what?????