• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH PHYSICS OCT/NOV 2010 PAPER 3 V2!

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was doing paper 3 oct/nov 10 (physics) and there was some stuff i don't get, so could someone please help me out? MY EXAM'S TOMORROW!
Here's a link to the paper: http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... _qp_32.pdf

Q.1b.ii) I don't understand why the skier's speed is increasing

Q.4b) What's the correct answer? I got 23100000 J but in the mark scheme it's 92400000 J. Why is it multiplied by 4??

Q.8a) I'm not sure if my answer's right. Here's what i wrote: "By attaching the primary coil to an a.c. supply, the current constantly fluctuates, cutting the coils of the primary coil which produces a magnetic field. This magnetic field is guided by the iron core to the secondary coil, where it cuts the coils of the secondary coil causing a current to flow in the secondary coil." Is that correct?

Q.8d) In the mark scheme it says : Thinner or smaller cables / less metal used. I don't get why! I already wrote that there will be a lower current and so less heat is lost.

Q.10b.i) the mark scheme says the bottom one. i don't get why!

Finally, im going to do Variant 2 of 2008 and 2009 cuz i already did variant 1 b4 but my center does v1 so are the questions going to be completely different to the ones im going to do, or what? :mad:

Reaction score
I think the reason that the speed is increasing is because the force of gravity also increases for the person .

Reaction score
Q.1 because the drag force decreases and the force due to weight becomes more than the drag force therefore resultant force is acting downwards increasing the speed.
Q4b) because they told you 25% is lost so you have to calculate the 75% in other words 'divide it by 25/100'
Q8a)youre answer is correct but its the coil which cuts the magnetic field NOT vice versa.
Q8d)As resistance is inversely proportional to the square of the diameter, so decreasing the thickness will increase the resistance therefore, current is reduced and so the heat loss.
Q10b)Because the bottom one gets completely deflected as it shows that it has to have a charge 'proton' to deflect the ray back, as we know protons are massive.

Hope this helped pray for me , got my exam tomorrow ):
And goodluck everyone.

Reaction score
the oct nov pprs are very difficult and different i juz hope we dnt gt ny ppr lyk this in our ppr 3 :(