• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

urgent help needed phyiscs unit 2!

Reaction score
Hi, title says it all
I really need help with january 2009 question 16a, b
how can lamp A have less resistance but glow dimmer?

Reaction score
I didnt read the question, but when you talk about brightness, always check the power (VI, I^2R, V^2/R) and not the resistance alone

Reaction score
V=IR, current across both of them is the same because they are in series. Voltage across lamp B is greater than that across lamp A.
V=IR, if I is same in both, V and R are directly proportional, and V is greater in lamp B, so R must also be greater. The opposite must happen for lamp A, get it?

Reaction score
For part b, since they're in parallel, both lamps have the same voltage across them. You know from part a that the resistance across lamp A will be less than the resistance across lamp B. P=V^2/R. Power and resistance are inversely proportional to each other, therefore, the voltage across both is the same, but lamp A's resistance is lower, so the power of lamp A is greater, and it's brighter. The opposite occurs for lamp B