• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

URGENT: Help needed for complex numbers!

Reaction score
Please can someone tell me a site where all of the complex numbers is explained including the Argand Diagrams as i can't find them in any books as the questions that come in past papers are very different! Please help me URGENTLY! :cry:

Reaction score
ii. first rationalise the denominator by multiplying and dividing by -1-i, this will remove i from the denominator and u will have a standard form of complex no. then plot the point u, as any other simple graph points u= x+iy then plot (x,y).
similarly plot u^2 .
for IzI<2 , IzI is the modulus of z or the magnitude of z. put z=x+iy, then IzI = ( x^2 + y^2)^0.5 <2,
square both sides to get x^2 + Y^2 < (2) ^2 this is the equation of a circle with radius 2 and centre (0.0).
similarly for Iz-uI and Iz-u^2I , put z=x+iy , and separate x and y components and then applu the modulus formula I (x-a) + (Y-b)i I = ((x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2))^0.5.

then plot these two circles, and shade areas according to < or > signs. i know this will be difficult to understand, but ask a teacher or search on google, or look at the black cambridge book for p3.

Reaction score
hmm thanks.. bt i still didnt get how u solved ths IzI < 2 to (x^2 + y^2)^0.5???

Reaction score
IzI<2 then z= x+iy, IzI= modulus of z= (x^2 +y^2)^0.5, put this in place of IzI and get the circle equation.

IzI= modulus of z= (x^2 +y^2)^0.5 ......................this formula is standard formula, also used for vector sums, and pythagoras' problems.

Reaction score
ohh yeah got it.. actually its written in a different format here thats why got confused..lol. thanks :D