• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Urdu, Sentence transformation confusion!!!

Reaction score
In the urdu second language paper s09 qp2
link>>http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge O Levels/3248 - Second Language Urdu/3248_s09_qp_2.pdf

There sentence are in past tense and we have to change in present. So one of the sentence is:
"Pechlay saal ki baat kuch aur thi, tab main na samaj tha?"

In its respective marking scheme
link>>http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge O Levels/3248 - Second Language Urdu/3248_s09_ms_2.pdf

The ans is:
"Pechlay saal ki baat kuch aur hai/thee, ab main samajdar hon ya hogaya hon "

Isnt it a change in meaning???
And isnt the question mark in the question wrong
I personally believe the ans is wrong

Please put forward the answer you consider to be right and if you think this is right, then do explain
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
i dont think there is anything wrong in it....the correct answer should be (Pichle saal ki baat kuch or thi ab mein samajdar ho gaya hun)......CORRECT ME IF I M WRONG hope this helped.. ;)

Reaction score
The thing I think is wrong is this
That in question it is written :"tab main na samaj tha"
And in the answer it is written :"ab main samajdar hon"

This is a change in meaning, right?

Reaction score
What i know is that you are not allowed to change the meaning so you should write this sentence in the present tense form as it is .
And its not telling you that you are 'samajdar' know ..
It can be me wrong or it is the MS wrong . :?

Reaction score
Well thats the same question i have in mind ?It cant possibly be Ill get the advice from my teacher!!!!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
well...i think it's alright....

see..pichley saal ki baat kuch aur thi, tub mein na samaj tha...is ka matlub ye he k pehle wo samajdar nhi thi lekin ab wo samajdar he..
like this is a bit tricky question!! the original sentence in other words can be hence written as.. pichley saal ki baat kuch aur thi..ab mein samajdar hun
so when changing to present tense... pichle saal ki baat kuch aur he..ab me samajdar ho gaya hun

hope this clears ur confusion :)

P.S. the mark scheme isnt wrong..that's for sure...if u read the examiner report...then u'll know that it's nt wrong...this is what comment is given:

''Most candidates were unable to change the word ‘Nasamajh’ into ‘Samajhdaar’ or ‘nasamajh nahin’.''

so this what we all r confused too.. :)

Reaction score
yeah MATH ANGEL is right i also got it checked by my section head of urdu in my school he said its alright although a bit confusing but there aint anything wrong in it

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
no problem ..glad to help u :) btw is it clear now or still confusion??

Reaction score
Well I think I did got it but If such sentence came in the paper.....There is tendency that I may go wrong
so I better get used to likes of these question.
And once again thanks to everyone.