• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Urdu A or Urdu B? Help.

Reaction score
Urdu A is just rote learning. You rote learn, you write. Same as Islamiat, tbh - just tougher.

Urdu B is a different beast. Unseen paper. They check how good your Urdu is. Idioms, Translation etc etc. It's not easy - and the fact is that there is no real thing to study.

If you are weak in Urdu, and your major subjects are strong, then go for Urdu A. Otherwise, B.

I have studied Urdu B, and while you really don't need to study and can give time to other subjects - it's the only paper where I have accepted that I can easily get a B.

Reaction score
Urdu B - Can't say much about B since I haven't studied it but my Urdu teacher advised me to only go for B if can think and write clearly in Urdu. I can't. Not by a long-shot.

Urdu A - Vice versa of B. Go for it if you're Urdu isn't strong enough but remember this, Urdu A is not rote learning. Don't think you can rote learn an iqtibaas or nazm and regurgitate it on the paper. It doesn't work that way. In Urdu A, you have to dissect the topic to it's core. You have to understand it. Because in the paper, they wont ask any direct questions about a story. They will ask questions pertaining to it's theme. And if you don't understand the theme, we'll. You're screwed. Secondly, and more importantly, with Urdu A you need to work hard,harder then most other subjects. Believe me when I say this.

My advise: Go for Urdu B. If you asked me last year, or the year before, I would've told you to take A if felt you're Urdu was weak. But not any more. Why? Because the syllabus has changed for the year 2015 and onwards. The paper will now include an unseen 25 mark question in which students will have to write about an authors writing style by reading his literary works e.g a nazm. And this is scary. Moreover, teacher's don't have any experience teaching student's on how to deal with this type of question so you will get very minimal practice at attempting it. So go for B, save yourself the time and effort.

Please let me know if everything I said about the syllabus change is correct. If I've misunderstood, I'll write a more detailed answer.