• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

University after IGCSE.. help plz :)

Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that all my friends were international applicants. They are probably more favourable towards international applications as they might be aware that the British curriculum is not so well learnt outside the UK and the fact that international fees are much higher. That being said a person inside the UK who is applying for a foundation course would probably find it harder to get in then say an international applicant like yourself as the UK government sponsors schools to provide A Levels to people below the age of 18. They have no reason to say why they didnt go on to do A Levels like you. So yeah..you do have chances..email the uni to make sure. Oh and as your from the UAE one more thing that might interest you is that another friend of mine applyed for the foundation course at Heriott-watt university ( Dubai Campus ) and they seemed pretty fine with just good IGCSE's
Yeah Zephyro was talking about me.. Heriot -Watt were happy with my IG grades itself and offered me foundation yr for mechanical engineering!

ktc

Reaction score
That’s pretty neat!

So, how’d it go/ how is it going? - Foundation year? How long is the course you’re doing?

Reaction score
Yeah Zephyro was talking about me.. Heriot -Watt were happy with my IG grades itself and offered me foundation yr for mechanical engineering!

I'm planning on going there next year....how is it? Is it worth doing a foundation year there?

Reaction score
That’s pretty neat!

So, how’d it go/ how is it going? - Foundation year? How long is the course you’re doing?
I actually applied for the September 2012 intake! Admission procedures were very easy as I knew a person in the university management itself. Foundation year is one year and they teach intro to Physics and Mathematics (for Mechanical Engineering). Foundation year is basically a class to prepare you for 1st year of university..

I'm planning on going there next year....how is it? Is it worth doing a foundation year there?
My dad visited the university(Dubai campus) and told me thats its was very good and has great amenities.. I cant tell you if its worth doing since I myself haven't started university but from the alumni and friends I guess its a really good university.. You can even transfer from Dubai to the Edinburgh Campus!! Even if you complete your course in Dubai, all your certificates including your student id is issued in the UK and the Certificates don't mention Dubai..only UK!! I felt it was a great deal and applied and got in!! All the best to you!

Reaction score
I actually applied for the September 2012 intake! Admission procedures were very easy as I knew a person in the university management itself. Foundation year is one year and they teach intro to Physics and Mathematics (for Mechanical Engineering). Foundation year is basically a class to prepare you for 1st year of university..

My dad visited the university(Dubai campus) and told me thats its was very good and has great amenities.. I cant tell you if its worth doing since I myself haven't started university but from the alumni and friends I guess its a really good university.. You can even transfer from Dubai to the Edinburgh Campus!! Even if you complete your course in Dubai, all your certificates including your student id is issued in the UK and the Certificates don't mention Dubai..only UK!! I felt it was a great deal and applied and got in!! All the best to you!

Well it sounds pretty good...are you doing your IGCSE's right now? If so, how did you apply? predicted grades? (sorry for all the questions:oops: )

Reaction score
Well it sounds pretty good...are you doing your IGCSE's right now? If so, how did you apply? predicted grades? (sorry for all the questions:oops: )
No I'm actually doing A-levels now. I had applied to HW Dubai with my IG grades and they gave me a conditional offer to join 1st of mechanical with three passes at A level with grades- C,C,C. However they also told that if the requirements are not met, I could join foundation year as my IG grades were more than good enough..the requirements for Foundation year are 5 passes at IGCSE with grades- C,C,C,C,C.
If your joining engineering, you are required to do Physics & Mathematics at all levels and Chemistry is NOT needed!!

Reaction score
No I'm actually doing A-levels now. I had applied to HW Dubai with my IG grades and they gave me a conditional offer to join 1st of mechanical with three passes at A level with grades- C,C,C. However they also told that if the requirements are not met, I could join foundation year as my IG grades were more than good enough..the requirements for Foundation year are 5 passes at IGCSE with grades- C,C,C,C,C.
If your joining engineering, you are required to do Physics & Mathematics at all levels and Chemistry is NOT needed!!

Oh. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon,

Hello!
I'm an IGCSE student(studying in the UAE)
I'm planning to get high scores in my IGCSE exams(inshalla) then start university studies diectly.
I chose Malaysia but I want to know the universities in there that would accept me without completing my A/As levels..

Would you please help me find the suitable university for me? :)

Thanks,

i really need to know the number of O level subjects that is needed in UAE to be more specific in DUBAI and how many AS levels is needed any help will be highly appreciated but please as soon as possible :)

Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon,

Hello!
I'm an IGCSE student(studying in the UAE)
I'm planning to get high scores in my IGCSE exams(inshalla) then start university studies diectly.
I chose Malaysia but I want to know the universities in there that would accept me without completing my A/As levels..

Would you please help me find the suitable university for me? :)

Thanks,

I'm planning to do medical in malaysia aswell.. which university did you join? :p