• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Transformation matrices

Reaction score
Is there any easy way to find the transformation matrices rather than memorizing them or by finding the inverse?

Reaction score
Sijan92 said:
Is there any easy way to find the transformation matrices rather than memorizing them or by finding the inverse?
I don't think so. :geek:

Reaction score
well there is an easier way...but it requires time to do it compared to learning them by heart....

its difficult to explain to ...i vill try explaing it when i get time....

Reaction score
M.Usman Khan said:
well there is an easier way...but it requires time to do it compared to learning them by heart....

That easier way is only the 'indirect way'. =/

Reaction score
Zishi said:
M.Usman Khan said:

That easier way is only the 'indirect way'. =/

Actually no.....if by the indirect way u mean taking inverse and trying to go backwards then absolutly no....

the way i m talking about requires concept of transformation(by concept i mean u most know all the formulas e.g.
shear factor=image distance to object/distance of object to invariant line)

Reaction score
ok heres how u do it... :idea:

first make a small grid(graph grid with x and y axis...make it rough no need 2 b neat)
remember the identity matrix.

take the 1st row 2 b x-coordinates
take 2nd row 2 b y-cordinates

the first column of the identity matrix gives u the point A(1 0)..plot iton the small grid
2nd column gives the point B(0 1)..plot it 2

apply ur required transformation on these two points....make a new matrix with ur images

A` (the image of A) x-coordinate will become the 1row first column....y-coordinate 2nd row 1column
simalary, B` ....x-coordinate will go to the 1st row 2nd coloumn ....y - cordinate will do to 2nd row 2nd column

the new matrix will b ur required transformation matrix... :cool:

Reaction score
M.Usman Khan said:

first make a small grid(graph grid with x and y axis...make it rough no need 2 b neat)

the first column of the identity matrix gives u the point A(1 0)..plot iton the small grid

apply ur required transformation on these two points....make a new matrix with ur images

A` (the image of A) x-coordinate will become the 1row first column....y-coordinate 2nd row 1column
simalary, B` ....x-coordinate will go to the 1st row 2nd coloumn ....y - cordinate will do to 2nd row 2nd column

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT thats hw i did it in my O levels paper :lol:

Reaction score
M.Usman Khan said:

That's what I was talking about! It is also an indirect way.

Reaction score
Zishi said:
M.Usman Khan said:

That's what I was talking about! It is also an indirect way.

its not the INDIRECT WAY ....its the direct way....
thats how the transformation matrices r actually formed... :p

Reaction score
Well there is, as I learned lately. The matrices used to drive me mad and I was always confused about them. The trick applies however to only reflection and rotation from origin matrices. Now to craft the matrices, you need to keep in mind TWO points: (1.0) (1 on the x-axis) and (0,1) (1 on the y -axis). Now remember that you would always consider the X axis 1 first. Suppose there is a reflection in x axis. Now the (1,0) point would remain there, since it is actually on the reflection line and is thus an invariant point. The (0,1) point would however be reflected to (0,-1). Now arrange the results of the reflection. Always keep the X Axis 1 the first!!! Remember this. Now the matrix would be:

(1 0)
(0 -1)
Now I think you can work out the rest. :D

Reaction score
Mnemonics

Attachments

• MATRICES QUICK REVISION GUIDE.pdf
    337.2 KB · Views: 14