• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Top Marks For Igcse!

Reaction score
Greetings

Does anybody know/or have any idea on what mark for maths extended (paper 2 and 4) to get in order to get into the top 10 highest in the world??...

Reaction score
for paper 2 it must be above 65 cuz A* is above 60.
for paper 4 it should be above 100....
U should aim at that level..... :)
BEST O LUCK... :) <3

Reaction score
Look there are people get 200/200 easily and there are loads of people like that! so you should aim around 190+ to get 10 in the world!

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys!!!

Am gonna try my best and hopefully by the will of God I shall make it !

Reaction score
switch said:
Greetings

Does anybody know/or have any idea on what mark for maths extended (paper 2 and 4) to get in order to get into the top 10 highest in the world??...

There is no fixed marks its like this You get 98 and
A get 95
B gets 96
C get 97
so the result is A B C and u get top 10
it totally depends on how others scores also and the top 5 will be taken for brillance awards

Reaction score
A* is at fixed percentage of 90+, and I guess from 2011 they removed the curve and introduced a range of marking according to the latest syllabus that says:
A* 90% or above
A 80% or above
B 70% or above.
So there is no use of depending on the curve as its getting harder and harder.
Good Luck.

Reaction score
A* is at fixed percentage of 90+, and I guess from 2011 they removed the curve and introduced a range of marking according to the latest syllabus that says:
A* 90% or above
A 80% or above
B 70% or above.
So there is no use of depending on the curve as its getting harder and harder.
Good Luck.

who told u that 90% above is an A* for may/june 2011 ???????

Reaction score
ACTUALLY THE UNIFORM PERCENTAGES ARE MENTIONED IN THE 2012 SYLLABUS, SO FOR MAY/JUNE AND OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2011 THERE IS A CURVE.

Reaction score
hey can u tell me where the percentages are mentioned in the syllabus??
Give me the link plzz !!!!
:D :D :)

Reaction score
Yaa, i saw in 2012 syllabus but, in 2011 syllabus nothing is written. :p

YOUSEF, is something abt grade written in 2011 syllabus?? If so den tell me plz
:D :D :)

Reaction score
I called the CIE people and they clearified that A* doenot depend on the curve, it's fixed. My school's concelling center also said the same thing.
While for other grades A-E there is a curve, depending on the comulative percentages scored by the candidate.
I went through past years grade threshold and most of them have similar percentages for the curve
All three sciences (Biology, Physics, Chemistry) have A on 50%-60% above and other followed by decrease of 20% Math (A) 70%,
while other subject ranges from (55-65%).

I'll advice you to contact CIE for further queries. :)

Reaction score
yeah, getting above an ' A' and above would add up to an ' A* ' even though the percentages aren't that high, but from 2012 onwards 90 % and above would be an A*

Reaction score
I think you are complicating your life, i think its a good idea to call CIE and clearify all your doubts related to the grading system. Here is the phone number +44 1223 553554 :)

Reaction score
yaa, yousef is right, from 2012 90% or above is an A* and its not the case in 2011
The teachers in our school said that u would get an A* if the grade is above A in all components or if the total is above A in both components (in year 2011 not 2012).

PUSHPAK, i think u are telling the A* thing of the year 2012 :p and whats the percentage fixed for an A* for the year 2011 as u have mentioned above???

Reaction score
Guys, what they are talking about in the 2012 syllabus is the Percentage Uniform Mark. This is different from the actual score you received across all the papers, from my understanding the grading system is the same it has always been. Read the page in the 2012 syllabus carefully.

Reaction score
I have been told that the A* grade is decided once all the results have been taken into account and is fixed as a % score overall rather than as a mark for each of the components.

For example in English Literature if you got: 17/25 in Component 1 and 18/25 in Component 2 then you got an 'A' grade. However if you met these requirements and your OVERALL PERCENT exceeded 84% you were instead awarded an A*.

Also a PERCENTAGE UNIFORM MARK is the OVERALL PERCENT that I have been talking about. It means that once you add up all your marks from each of the components and convert all of them into an average %, if that % is over 90 then you will be awarded an A*, I do not really however understand the logic in this as marks tend to vary from year to year depending on the difficulty of the paper so it is a little odd to fix the % without seeing the results.

Reaction score
what is difference between percentage uniform mark and actual score???
if the percentage uniform mark is 90% above (A*) den actual score should also be 90% above, an A*????
Tempz, u mean to say that the total of all the components should exceed 90% to get an A* in all subjects? and the thing about overall percentage is not given in the 2011 syllabus, its only given in 2012 syllabus :p

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:
what is difference between percentage uniform mark and actual score???
if the percentage uniform mark is 90% above (A*) den actual score should also be 90% above, an A*????
Tempz, u mean to say that the total of all the components should exceed 90% to get an A* in all subjects? and the thing about overall percentage is not given in the 2011 syllabus, its only given in 2012 syllabus :p

Yes thats what it means so from 2012 onwards you will need to score an overall mark of 90% to get an A*. That does not mean you need 90% in each component, instead that your average score exceeds 90%. For example if I scored 95% in the easier component of an exam and 85% in the harder component I would still get an A* as my %UM is 90%.

At the moment for 2011 exams CIE take all the grades into account and then decide the A* but it is usually ~ 90% which is why they are fixing it I guess.