• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The use of pencil.

Reaction score
My cousin used a pencil to solve some of his questions in maths paper2.. are there any consequences for it? Also.. can anybody please tell me the email id of cie.. thanks :)

Reaction score
samuelarnold said:
I don't know the id.
Nothing wrong with using pencils to solve his math problems :)

really? are you sure? if you're right then thats good to know :) thankyou :)

Reaction score
scarificeurlaav said:
samuelarnold said:
I don't know the id.

bro i dont think its right to mislead someone if you havent got proper info about something
@scarificeurlaav this clearly written on any examiner tips document and also on the cie website
In section 3.2.6 Stationery, Materials and Other Equipment in the Handbook to Centres it states:

“Candidates must write their answers legibly in black or blue ink. Candidates should be warned that the use of pale blue ink contributes to illegibility. Red ink must not be used. Soft pencil (type B or HB is recommended) must be used for multiple choice tests. Pencils or pens in other colours may be used for diagrams and maps ONLY.”

Mathematical constructions and graphs would fall into the same category as the last sentence and so it is permissible to use a pencil for questions assessing these skills. Other than that, blue or black ink should be used as (a) it can’t be altered after the examination and (b) the examiner can see the way the student was developing the question even though the final answer may be incorrect.

Reaction score
scarificeurlaav said:
My cousin used a pencil to solve some of his questions in maths paper2.. are there any consequences for it? Also.. can anybody please tell me the email id of cie.. thanks :)
its better to solve with pen!!
why did u solve with pencil?
to make it more beautiful if u have time at the end?

Reaction score
likosp said:
scarificeurlaav said:
samuelarnold said:
I don't know the id.

bro i dont think its right to mislead someone if you havent got proper info about something
@scarificeurlaav this clearly written on any examiner tips document and also on the cie website
In section 3.2.6 Stationery, Materials and Other Equipment in the Handbook to Centres it states:

“Candidates must write their answers legibly in black or blue ink. Candidates should be warned that the use of pale blue ink contributes to illegibility. Red ink must not be used. Soft pencil (type B or HB is recommended) must be used for multiple choice tests. Pencils or pens in other colours may be used for diagrams and maps ONLY.”

Mathematical constructions and graphs would fall into the same category as the last sentence and so it is permissible to use a pencil for questions assessing these skills. Other than that, blue or black ink should be used as (a) it can’t be altered after the examination and (b) the examiner can see the way the student was developing the question even though the final answer may be incorrect.

thankyou likosp, this was helpful :) and i'm sure samuel was just trying to help, its alright