• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The most major doubt

Reaction score
Guys there is a very big doubt for me. PLease I need a genius person to solve that.
In November 1997
a question was asked (Question 19), which made me angry with CIE
The same for Question 36
U get the answer right, but it will turn to be wrong according to the mark scheme
Waiting for reply.......

Reaction score
Keeemoman said:
Guys there is a very big doubt for me. PLease I need a genius person to solve that.
In November 1997
a question was asked (Question 19), which made me angry with CIE
The same for Question 36
U get the answer right, but it will turn to be wrong according to the mark scheme
Waiting for reply.......
Sorry guys its chemistry paper1 :bad:

Reaction score
what's da question???? :D
dont have da paper u mentioned...i would suggest u crop and paste that question here.....
or mayb in 1997 people were not so intelligent or there were different theories....lol.. :D

Reaction score
question 19 is B potassium iodide since there's yellow ppt
question 36 is D C5H12 general formula CnH2n+2

Reaction score
36. D

19. B

Marking Scheme is wrong.... Don't worry.... It sometimes is wrong....

Reaction score
36 is D, and 19 is B,
As yousef already said. If you need further explanation, just ask :)

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
36 is D, and 19 is B,
As yousef already said. If you need further explanation, just ask :)
Yes but chek out the marking scheme
I even wrote the same answer but its wrong

Reaction score
Keeemoman said:
Here you go with attachment give me the letters

I have done Chemistry last year and got an A* but I don't really remember all the things I learned, but
I am 100% sure that the answer for Question 36 is D.

Alkanes have single bonds, and they are chemicals/molecules that contain Carbon and Hydrogen ONLY.
I forgot the general category's name under which Alkanes, Alkenes and Alkynes lie, but the definition
itself states that they are molecules that contain Carbon and Hydrogen ONLY (Only is the keyword).

So the answer D shows Carbon and Hydrogen molecules, with all single bonds.

Structure A I think is a Carboxylic acid (Ethanoic acid I think), if I remember it correctly since there is a -COOH bond, with a double bond to a single
oxygen molecule.

Structure B represents an Alcohol, which has a -OH bond.(I think it's a Propanol)

Structure C is definitely an Alkene. I think it's But-2-ene.

So Structure D is Pentane, an Alkane. :)

For Question 19, the answer is B.

Only iodide salts produce yellow precipitate. So it's Potassium iodide.

You can check that from the Salt Analysis table.

Reaction score
Oh, I just read the answers in the Marking Scheme. It doesn't make any sense. I am sure I am not wrong about Question 36...I might be wrong for Question 19 because I don't really remember the salt analysis topic.

The Marking Scheme is probably not the original one, or perhaps it has wrong answers.

Reaction score
Man even me I am really sure and for 100% but the question why did they put these answers

Reaction score
Keeemoman said:
Man even me I am really sure and for 100% but the question why did they put these answers

They are careless. This scares me a lot, if they set these answers to their computer's database and then have the OMR read the answers
the way they prescribe them. That's gotta suck...loss of marks for nothing.

But who'll argue with them?

Reaction score
yeah...u r ryt rashu..they have stated on every ms""CIE will not enter into discussion or correspondence in connection with these mark schemes""..they make mistakes....million ov students pay 4 them.... :x :x

Reaction score
There are many other mistakes as well in the marking schemes... When you know you are 110% correct then go with your answer.... :)

Reaction score
skinnyboyfat said:
yeah...u r ryt rashu..they have stated on every ms""CIE will not enter into discussion or correspondence in connection with these mark schemes""..they make mistakes....million ov students pay 4 them.... :x :x

Exactly what I meant. :(

Reaction score
I am weak in bonding so I dont know q(36)
But as far as Question 19 is concerned its C as mentioned in mark scheme that potassium salt reacts(Acidified) with lead(II) NITRATE hence the product will be Potassium Nitrate.
where color is concerned we won't think of it cause its simple equation.They wrote color to confuse the candidate but as far as mark scheme and my thinking is concerned C is correct answer.
and Question 36 is well explained by rashu.As I am weak in that bonding structures.. :|

I hope it helped.

Regards,

Reaction score
Rashu712 said:
skinnyboyfat said:

Exactly what I meant. :(

yeah i know that's why in the starting ov my post i wrote...""u r so ryt RASHU"".... :D