• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Study tips

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a student and currently preparing to take my A levels Oct/Nov 2012. I will be taking six subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Business Studies and Chinese.

I would like for some advice on how to manage my time and how can I study for those subjects. Currently, my plan is like this:

1. Monday, Thrusday (school from 8-3pm; math tution approx. until 6pm ; study)
2. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday (school from 8-5pm; piano tution approx. until 8 pm ; study)
3. Saturday (lessons from 8-12pm)
4. I like to listen to music, so sometime I listen to instrumental songs when I'm studying..
5. I am the type of students who doesn't like to read, I prefer listening and watching than reading.

Currently, I could not manage to revise all the subjects everyday.

Please give me some advice and suggestions.. Thank you.. :)

Reaction score
Here is what I came up for you as your schedule is very tight.

6 months before your A levels, I'd suggest spending the first 3 months of it summarizing, making short notes for at least 5 days in a week. Within that months, you should have enough time to gather new informations and learn new topics.

Reading alone is boring, so try getting infos from your friends, tutors, internet, not just your textbooks.
Because you're not fond of reading. you can record your short notes into MP3, or even make slideshows on it within that 3 months. I'd still prefer reading because MP3 & slideshows can be quite distractive especially when you have concentration issues.

3 months after that, the MP3 and slideshows that you have make will be very handy. Spend the remaining 3 months answering Past Year Papers over and over again because PYPs are crucial as it will help you to be familiar with the question structure. One of my way of making an even more convenient study method is by dividing the questions into different topics, for eg the topic Homeostasis in Biology. Try finding questions related to that topic, and answer them separately.

Wish me luck for my remaining papers! :D

Reaction score
Depends on each person..its never the same. I myself only start studying 1 month before the exams..not because I'm lazy or want to do last minute studying but because all you need is generally to concentrate one month before and spend time urself to understand every concept. You tend to remember what you do in the last month aswell. Also, the past papers give u the basic concept of each topic..do read the examiners report as it gives some insight which the mark schemes dont. As for notes just keep notes of the topics your not clear on or you think will come in the paper based on looking at the past years. Sometimes people just know whats going to come based on the pattern.

Reaction score
You could try this method too:

2 hours for each subject, this would be something like:

Monday, Thursday: Physics, Chemistry, Business
6:30 - 8:30 Physics,
Then you could take an optional 15-20 minute break
8:45- 10:45 Chemistry
and if you don't sleep early then you could go on studying a lighter subject, e.g. Business
or if you don't want to do that, revise what you studied early so that it stays fresh in your mind.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: Mathematics, Biology
8:30- 10:30 Mathematics
Take a 15 minute break.
10:45-12:30 or 12:45 Biology

Saturday:
Chinese for one and a half hour
and then divide the rest of the subjects accordingly

If you can't study for 2 hours consistently, then you could divide the time into half hour study sessions with 10 minute breaks in between.