• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

STATISTICAL TESTS - BIOLOGY UNIT 6

Reaction score
Hello dears,

I can't understand statistical tests :S
How can I draw conclusions out of it and how can I know the critical value, in a Mann-Whitney test and a T-test?
HOW CAN I SOLVE QUESTION 2 IN BIOLOGY UNIT 6!!

Reaction score
Hello dears,

I can't understand statistical tests :S
How can I draw conclusions out of it and how can I know the critical value, in a Mann-Whitney test and a T-test?
HOW CAN I SOLVE QUESTION 2 IN BIOLOGY UNIT 6!!

In all experiments (Apart from Mann Whitney and Wilcoxon) if the value is greater than the value at 5% (95% confidence level) then we reject null hypothesis and say there is a significant difference.
For Mann Whitney and Wilcoxon it's the opposite.
T-test, chi test are used for stuff like bar graphs.
For scatter graphs, we use spearmans test to find correlation.
Thats all you need to know.

Reaction score
In all experiments (Apart from Mann Whitney and Wilcoxon) if the value is greater than the value at 5% (95% confidence level) then we reject null hypothesis and say there is a significant difference.
For Mann Whitney and Wilcoxon it's the opposite.
T-test, chi test are used for stuff like bar graphs.
For scatter graphs, we use spearmans test to find correlation.
Thats all you need to know.

what value? I don't understand :/
Please in more details if possible

Reaction score
what value? I don't understand :/
Please in more details if possible

The value you'll be given in the question e.g. "T test was carried out and the value was found to be 2.34". Then you'll be given a table, you check the value at 0.05 significance level (this is our critical value, e.g 2.00). So since the value we're given is greater than the critical value and this is a t test we can conclude that there is a significant difference in blah blah blah blah etc (You get the point)

Reaction score
The value you'll be given in the question e.g. "T test was carried out and the value was found to be 2.34". Then you'll be given a table, you check the value at 0.05 significance level (this is our critical value, e.g 2.00). So since the value we're given is greater than the critical value and this is a t test we can conclude that there is a significant difference in blah blah blah blah etc (You get the point)
ohhhh I understood now! And the null hypothosis is confirmed if the critical value is greater than the t value, am I correct?
So, what about Mann-Whitney test?