• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Solved physics Paper 5??

Reaction score
I can answer your 1st and 4th question.
The error bars aren't always the same length.
For example, if there are values in the table such at 4.5 +/- 0.2 , 5.6 +/- 0.3 ,
Then definitely, the error bar of the the first value (4.5 +/- 0.2) will be smaller than (5.6 +/- 0.3)

The reading should have the same significant figures as the raw data or ONE MORE significant figure than the raw data.
The absolute uncertainty should also be the same significant figures as the raw data that is given. Most of the times, the uncertainty that is given in the raw data is of one s.f. so the absolute uncertainty should also be of one s.f.

And I'm sorry but I can't answer your 2nd and 3rd question because I'm not sure about those myself :(

------

And this is how you calculate the uncertainty in l^2:
I'll show you with the first value. And then you can probably do the rest :)
The first value on the table is 6 +/- o.4

First find the square of l.
l^2
= (6)^2
= 36

And then you find the fractional uncertainty, which is,
(Uncertainty/original value)
so,
(0.4/6) x 2 (It is being multiplied by 2 because they are asking you for a squared value of L )
= 0.13333...

And then you multiply the fractional uncertainty with the square of L that you have found previously.
(0.133333...) x 36
= 4.8

so the final answer will be : 36 +/- 4.8

This process is used whenever they ask you for a square value.

I hope you have understood! :D
Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any other questions! :)
Best of luck!

Reaction score
Jazzak Allah khair, for your wonderfull help of question 2.,
but i want to ask u that in some cases u r doing best fit -worstfit. and some time worst fit -best fit, can u explain why.
It basically depends on the magnitude of the best fit and worst fit... We always need a difference for uncertainity, therefore, the greater magnitude need to be placed first so that the difference is positive. if magnitude of wors fit is greater than , uncertainity= worst fit- best fit......if magnitude of best fit is greater than ,,uncertainity=best fit - worst fit....Hope u got my point :)

Reaction score
how do we find the uncertainty that involves ln data?
for example.... T= 6.50 +_ 0.20,,,, and u have to calculate uncertainity in lnT,,then it vl be
ln(6.70)-ln(6.50) and make sure ur uncertainity is in the same dp as the raw data... cheers :)

Reaction score
if u are making straight lineby joining top of last error bar and bottom of first error bar then then calculating gradient by ycomponent upon x-component.
y component is difference of (last y value+error)-(first y value-error)
if by joining bottom of last error bar and top of first error bar then viceversa