• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Should I take Statistics?

Reaction score
AOA! :Rose:
My parents are advising me to do stats over the summmer...i want to ask that are three /four months enough for covering and preparing the syllabus for giving the paper in oct/Nov????....And is there a need for tuition or academy ???I would be really helpful if someone who has already given the paper give me some good advice.. :)

Reaction score
not.maria said:
My parents are advising me to do stats over the summmer...i want to ask that are three /four months enough for covering and preparing the syllabus for giving the paper in oct/Nov????....And is there a need for tuition or academy ???I would be really helpful if someone who has already given the paper give me some good advice.. :)
Well I have the same Case !! I m studying Statistics from academy because no such good book of Stats is available and also Mostly People think Stats is easy but I must say that it requires a lot of thinking !! Specially Probability !! :)

Reaction score
IMO two or three months are enough but u have to take tuition for it.....but u should not give it because extra subjects puts extra burden on you...u should focus on the major subjects and try to get maximum grades in those cuz those grades count heavily on your future :roll:

Reaction score
yeah i'll agree with SALMAN on this....its not an easy one.....try any other subjects: commerce,environmental etc

Reaction score
not.maria said:
W.S! :)
In my opinion, you can do this quite easily.You will need to work on topics such as 'Probability' and 'Measures of Central Tendency" (i.e. Mean, median and mode). If your concepts of these are clear from Mathematics 4024 then no need to worry. Work diligently and solve maximum past papers before your exam. 2 months ought to be more than enough!
All the best. :D

Reaction score
WEll , 3 months are ample and u shud go to a GOOD teacher.Subjects like Probability and Cases OF Mutually and Independant events require concepts

Reaction score
SAUD ASLAM said:
WEll , 3 months are ample and u shud go to a GOOD teacher.Subjects like Probability and Cases OF Mutually and Independant events require concepts
100% agree with SAUD ASLAM and btw first try to see if your interested in the subject or not !! try checking out the past papers of Statistic 4040 !! This should help you decided whether your interested in this or not !! :)

Reaction score
..thank u guys for the wonderful advices...I have another query....wat other subjects can be completed in three months???
my parents want me to do stats because it is a comparitively easy subject and so that i have a chance for more As..but i m already have nine subjects...Shouldn't i stick to them or are extra subjects not a bad option?

Reaction score
That depends on your capabilities. You can complete O'level Additional Mathematics, too. :)

Reaction score
Go for Commerce, Sociology and Environmental Management with Statistics. You have complete vacations plus another 2 months until the October/November session. You definitely can appear for as many subjects as you want. You should atleast give 2 subjects in this session and not only Statistics. All the subjects listed above can be studied by yourself using a book and notes and can easily be prepared within 3 months.

Reaction score
4 months are enough.
Here are some reference books:
1)Introductory Statistics
Author: Plews, A M
ISBN: 0435537504
Published in 1979.
Published by Heinemann Educational Secondary Division, Halley Court, Jordan Hill, Oxford, OX2 8EJ, United Kingdom

2)O Level Statistics
This is the international edition of the textbook published in Botswana in 2003. It is written specifically for the Cambridge O-Level Statistics syllabus.
Author: Chalmers, Dean James
ISBN: 9780521169547
Published in 2009.
Edition: 1
Published by Cambridge University Press India Pvt. Ltd, Cambridge House, 4381/4 Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110002, India

3)Statistics: A First Course
Author: Walker, James A, McLean, Margaret M and Matthew, James W
ISBN: 0340552468
Published in 1993.
Published by Hodder Arnold H&S, 338 Euston Road, London NW1 3BH, United Kingdom