• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Should I be giving private exams?

Private or School?

• Total voters
Reaction score
OK, my father is the sort of person whom I can never convince but is easily convinced and influenced by others. I am currently studying at school and my 1st year was just completed recently. I am planning to give both AS and A2 on maj/june 2015. My grades for O levels were m/j 2013: Physics:A*, Chemistry:A*, Mathematics:A*, English:A, ICT:A, Urdu:B. And in o/n 2013: Pakistan studies:D, Islamiyat:C. Now, just about 4 days ago my father met a tuition teacher who apparently says that giving AS and A2 together is a very, VERy big mistake and i should give my AS exams this november (2014). Another thing he asked my father to do was to take a school leaving certificate and study with him only (He claims that going to school is total waste of money[Something that I somewhat agree with]). My father has been convinced and he will be pulling me out of school by the end of this week. I am currently taking maths, physics and chemistry. Also I am a disciplinary prefect and have been nominated for being the school captain next year. Apart from that I am the head author of the school's yearly newsletter for the boys wing. My father says that these things won't matter in the future but I think they do!, you know in my C.V perhaps?; being the captain of a school with 1800 students is definately a plus point. Please help me decide and thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your tutor is somehow right ! But i guess what he wants most is MONEY !
If he has experience , in ALL subjects and had candidates before who were private studing and ended with A's and A*'s then he might probably be right!
There are many conditions to be concerned , so check all of them and see does that suit you ?

Reaction score
Hi!

I self teach myself 3 A Level subjects (Maths, History and Econs) now but I was also enrolled in an A Level college for a month. Gotta say that studying on my own is far more effective and thus faster than studying in class. I just started studying AS Maths from scratch a month ago but I can say that I've got all topics covered and already done all past papers from 2002-2011. But you still need a tutor to help you with some topics you find difficult, though. I only get tutor for Maths so I am purely studying on my own in History and Econs. For Mathematics, so far it's been fantastic. But for History and Econs I'm finding it so difficult since it's an essay-based subjects (Econs not really essay but still it needs some writing)

I figure that self-studying for subjects like Maths, Physics or Chem should be alright (at least comparing to the subjective essay-based subjects) given that you are consistent and motivated enough.

So, of course! Give going for private exams a try. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Been quite long since I last visited XPC. Anyway guys thanks for your feedback. I left my tuition teacher a few weeks ago and started studying myself. Lets just wait and see how my results turn out to be........

Reaction score
Omg ! U r so motivated and smart , i am giving exams private for sociology Alevel . But i havent completed much of my syllabus andlooks like im still on the scratch . It has essay based qns as well and i have just got a tutor . I visit the tutor just twice a week . Can u pls tell me wat motivates u and keeps u on the track ??? I pray to Allah that He blesses u and Has His Mercy upon u . Pls i need help .!!
Hi!

I self teach myself 3 A Level subjects (Maths, History and Econs) now but I was also enrolled in an A Level college for a month. Gotta say that studying on my own is far more effective and thus faster than studying in class. I just started studying AS Maths from scratch a month ago but I can say that I've got all topics covered and already done all past papers from 2002-2011. But you still need a tutor to help you with some topics you find difficult, though. I only get tutor for Maths so I am purely studying on my own in History and Econs. For Mathematics, so far it's been fantastic. But for History and Econs I'm finding it so difficult since it's an essay-based subjects (Econs not really essay but still it needs some writing)

I figure that self-studying for subjects like Maths, Physics or Chem should be alright (at least comparing to the subjective essay-based subjects) given that you are consistent and motivated enough.

Reaction score
Hi!

Best of luck for you ahead in life. You've been an inspiration to someone....Stay blessed and motivated :)

Reaction score
Omg ! U r so motivated and smart , i am giving exams private for sociology Alevel . But i havent completed much of my syllabus andlooks like im still on the scratch . It has essay based qns as well and i have just got a tutor . I visit the tutor just twice a week . Can u pls tell me wat motivates u and keeps u on the track ??? I pray to Allah that He blesses u and Has His Mercy upon u . Pls i need help .!!

Hey, I'm sorry, I just read this. I'd like to think from the end of the line. When I get all tired I would imagine having stellar exam results, getting into the university I want and things like that. It might sound simple but for me it really does push me forward :p Good luck!!

Reaction score
Hahaha the university i need go to does not require much marks for the subs i have planned for my self :p so ill have to find somethings else for my self . Thank u anyways :)

Reaction score
Hi!

Hi. If I want to give only CIE AS economics which is paper 1 and paper 2, which topics must I study?