• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

shall i continue with a level math..??

Reaction score
Asa.. I'm very confused.. I have decided that I want to do medical but I've taken math as my fourth subject.. I got an A* alhumduliah at o level math and I worked really hard.. I was a bit a slow in grasping mathematical concepts.. but I did everything on my own.. I never thought I'd evr be able to get an A in math..I would hate the subject a lot mainly because i couldn't understand it.. but when i began to understand the methods..I started to like he subject.. and I wanted to keep at least four subjects as 3 are not eligible for the 'high achieved criteria'..initially I told myself that once I'd be over with o level..I never want to keep the subject..I was interested in phycology though but it won't benefit me..my elder sister is telling me to keep it as it will help me to understand physics.. and even chem and bio.. but now as AS level has started.. I find myself in a position where I'm trying hard to understand method s..unable to grasp the concept immediately.. I'm beginning to doubt myself.. please advice me what I should do..I'd be really grateful

Reaction score
Get a tutor. Keep maths, it would help you later on no matter which field u choose to pursue.

Reaction score
Don't panic it seems difficult in the start but may ease out a bit after a month or two

Reaction score
If I continue then I'd have to give a lot if time to the subject ..when I don't even need it for medical.. people are telling me to drop it and concentrate on my main subjects:/

Reaction score
Well, technically speaking, as you're a medical student, Maths won't help you a lot in your career but let's face a bitter truth, 'everything has maths, every subject', specially physics. Now if you keep up Maths from the beginning, it might inculcate the skills which can also be used for other subjects. Also, the credit of Maths is very high, if you want to differentiate yourself from other students in high achiever's list, Math is going to help you. Find a tutor and practice as much as possible, if that's not feasible that stay back after the class and ask your teacher to repeat the concepts which you couldn't grasp. Practice the past paper questions every day and you'd be good to go.

Reaction score
TheZodiapointost: 669417 said:
Well, technically speaking, as you're a medical student, Maths won't help you a lot in your career but let's face a bitter truth, 'everything has maths, every subject', specially physics. Now if you keep up Maths from the beginning, it might inculcate the skills which can also be used for other subjects. Also, the credit of Maths is very high, if you want to differentiate yourself from other students in high achiever's list, Math is going to help you. Find a tutor and practice as much as possible, if that's not feasible that stay back after the class and ask your teacher to repeat the concepts which you couldn't grasp. Practice the past paper questions every day and you'd be good to go.[/q
You have a good point.. my elder sister said the same thing ..I guess I'm worried about being burdened but I'll try to keep up..at least in AS..thank you for your advice.. appreciate it:)