• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Shab-e-Miraj and Shab-e-Baraat..It's not right.

Reaction score
jazakallah totally agree with u,i just found this message,wanted to share with you people
FACT : The most involuntary fasts (nafil fasts) kept by Rasool Allah sallalahu alayhe wasallam were in the month of shabaan.
A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not observe fast in any month of the year more than in the month of Sha’ban, and used to say: Do as many deeds as you are capable of doing, for Allah will not become weary (of giving you reward), but you would be tired (of doing good deeds) ; and he also said: The deed liked most by Allah is one to which the doer adheres constantly even if it is small.( Muslim :: Book 6 : Hadith 2582 )
MISCONCEPTION: Fasting on 15th of Shaban is a deed of great reward.
FACT: Fasting ONLY on 15th of Shabaan is an innovation and not according to the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Thus should be totally avoided. Fasting frequently in Shabaan was the Sunnah of Rasool Allah However; Rasool prohibited his ummah from fasting after 15th of Shabaan due to fear of becoming too weak to be able to fast in Ramadan.
Rasool Allah Sallaalahu alayhe Wasallam said : “When half of shaban has passed, do not fast” (Abu Dawood Bab 12: Hadith 2337- Classed Hasan Sahih by Albani)
Therefore the Muslims should fast frequently in the first half of Shabaan and avoid fasting in the second half of Shabaan.
MISCONCEPTION: Shab e Baraat i.e. the 15th of Shabaan is a Special Night for prayers in Islam.
FACT: There is no such thing as Shab e Baraat. Word Shab e Baraat never appears in the Quran or Hadith. Shab e Baraat is infact NOT an Arabic Word.
Shab e Barat is actually Persian for lailatul qadr:
The night on which the Quran was revealed is termed “Lailatul Qadr” in Surah al Qadr in the Quran. When Lailtul Qadr is translated in Persian Language : Lailatul became Shabb and Qadr became “Baraat”. Thus Shab e Baraat is the Persian translation of Lailatul Qadr.
This is the night on which Quran was revealed, it is a night of great blessing and it falls in the last 10 days of Ramadan.Thus there is no reality in celebrating the night of 15th of sha’baan, because Shab e Baraat actually falls in Ramadan.
(Reference:Translation of Tafsir Surah Dukhaan, Taiseer ul Quran , Vol 4, pg. 176 by Molana Abdul Rehman Kelani.)
MISCONCEPTION: On this blessed night Allah Tala descends down to forgive people
FACT: Allah Tala descends down EVERY night to forgive the people who repent.
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah’s Apostle said, “When it is the last third of the night, our Lord, the Blessed, the Superior, descends every night to the heaven of the world and says, ‘Is there anyone who invokes Me (demand anything from Me), that I may respond to his invocation; Is there anyone who asks Me for something that I may give (it to) him; Is there anyone who asks My forgiveness that I may forgive him?’ “Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 333:
MISCONCEPTION: This is the blessed night on which the taqdeer is decided. Who will live…who will die. Who will get how much rizq…
The following verses of the Quran are presented as evidence stating that this verse is talking about a blessed night on which everything is decreed and that night is 15th of Shaban.
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
إِنَّآ أَنزَلۡنَـٰهُ فِى لَيۡلَةٍ۬ مُّبَـٰرَكَةٍ‌ۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ (٣) فِيہَا يُفۡرَقُ كُلُّ أَمۡرٍ حَكِيمٍ (٤) أَمۡرً۬ا مِّنۡ عِندِنَآ‌ۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُرۡسِلِينَ (٥) رَحۡمَةً۬ مِّن رَّبِّكَ‌ۚ إِنَّهُ ۥ هُوَ ٱلسَّمِيعُ ٱلۡعَلِيمُ (٦)
Veriy We Sent it down on a blessed night Verily,We are ever warning (3) There in is decreed every matter of ordainments(4) As a Command from Us. Verily, We are ever sending , (5)(As) a Mercy from your Lord. Verily! He is theAll-Hearer, the All-Knower. (6)
Surah Dukhaan Chapter 44 Verse 4
FACT: The verse is being misquoted.
This Verse is about a Night in Ramadan NOT Shab e Baraat. The verse is talking about revelation of Quran on a blessed Night. Read the first 2 ayats of Surah Dukhaan again!
Indeed we sent IT (i.e. The Quran) on a blessed Night (Lailtul Qadr in Ramadan)
Allah has informed us in Surah Baqarah that the Quran was revealed in the month of Ramadan.
شَہۡرُ رَمَضَانَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أُنزِلَ فِيهِ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانُ
The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an.( Surah Al Baqarah. Chapter 2:185)
So which night is Surah Dukhaan talking about? It is indeed Lailatul Qadr of Ramadan
The night of revelation of Quran in Ramadan is none other than Lailtul Qadr.
On Lialatul Qadr… angels descend and taqdeer is decided.. not on 15th Shabaan. Proof is in Surah Qadr
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
إِنَّآ أَنزَلۡنَـٰهُ فِى لَيۡلَةِ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ (١)
وَمَآ أَدۡرَٮٰكَ مَا لَيۡلَةُ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ (٢)
لَيۡلَةُ ٱلۡقَدۡرِ خَيۡرٌ۬ مِّنۡ أَلۡفِ شَہۡرٍ۬ (٣)
تَنَزَّلُ ٱلۡمَلَـٰٓٮِٕكَةُ وَٱلرُّوحُ فِيہَا بِإِذۡنِ رَبِّہِم مِّن كُلِّ
أَمۡرٍ۬ (٤)
سَلَـٰمٌ هِىَ حَتَّىٰ مَطۡلَعِ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ (٥
Indeed, We sent the Qur’an down during the Night of Decree. (1) And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree?(2) The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months(3) The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter.(4) Peace it is until the emergence of dawn(5)(Quran 97: Surah Qadr)
Lailtul Qadr is the night on which decree is decided.
Please re-read verse four: “On that night is made distinct every precise matter.”
This is the verse which is talking about deciding of fate. and in Surah Qadr, the name itself is self explanatory, ” Qadr” – Taqdeer” The night of decree – \decree means “to decide”
also Allah says in this surah Qadr:
The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for EVERY MATTER.
Please visit the following link and read the tafsir of Surah Qadr from Tafsir Ibn Kathir.
http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=97&tid=58835

And we all know that Laitul Qadr isa night which falls in the odd nights of last 10 days of Ramadan.So the Night of Decree is NOT 15th Shabaan but Lailatul Qadr.
MISCONCEPTION : Souls of the dead visit the earth and therefore one should go to cemeteries.
FACT: Once a person dies, if the soul is good, it is sent to IleeYeen and if it is bad it is sent down to Sijeyeen. There is a barzakh / a barrier between the souls and this world and they can never ever return to this world or contact us.
Until, when death comes to one of them (those who join partners with Allâh), he says: “My Lord! Send me back, (99) “So that I may do good in that which I have left behind!” No! It is but a word that he speaks, and behind them is Barzakh (a barrier) until the Day when they will be resurrected.(Surah Mominoon -100)

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=97&tid=58835

Reaction score
You're in doubt right? So leave it.
hey, thats not the way of Islam, and you are trying to teach him about Islam

As to your query Hassan about Shab e barat, lemme give you some details from a book.

there is that one hadis that talks about how Hazrat Aisha followed the prophet and he talked about this night. Imam Tirmizi said that he had heard from Imam Bukhari that the sanad (list of narrators) is Zaeef, meaning its narrators are not authentic.

Furthermore, give me ONE authentic hadis which tells that the holy prophet or his sahaba specially prayed on this day. You won't find even one such Hadis.

Some people argue that what is the harm in praying for one night. Actually there is no harm in praying even for that one night. But if we pray with the Niyyat of shab e barat thinking that our destiny would be changed, then all we are doing is following a bidah, and buying hell fire with our own hands

May Allah guide us and our Ulemas.

Reaction score
thanx for the tag knowitall10 this really was very informative,,i used to beleive alot in these two nights...and spent the whole night ion worship...but now that there is a doubt in it..i guess is shud not keep all my worship to these nights...but we surely need alot of research cuz that's what we've been doing all our lives..

Reaction score
or waise bhi...i guess we shud not keep only one night for worship..and rest of the nights..enjoyyyyyy...i mean ALHAMDULLILLAH..my family is a religious one..so we have the Thajjud prayers in the middle of the nights every day..also the ishraaq(although am noy very regular with them)..but what i mean is why keep only one night...for me..i have equal amount of worship for all nights..may be i used to have abit more on these two nights cuz of the beleif..we shud have the same worship every night..not increased or decreased for some nights..ye to aisi baat ho gayi ke.our fear for Allah increases in these two nights..and decreses for the others..what am trying to say is i see ppl not even performing their ishaa prayers on regular nights..but these two nights they become active and start worshipping..so this beleif may not be good in that way..
but i have found something regarding this..
It is related by Muaz bin Jabal that the Blessed Prophet (
pbuh.png
) said: Allah looks at His creation in "the night of mid-Sha`ban" and He forgives all His creation.except for a mushrik (idolater) or a mushahin (one bent on hatred).[Ibn Hibban, Sahih,ed.
Shu`ayb Arna'ut Vol 012: Hadith 5665] Hadith# 2
Narrated by Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As Allah's Messenger (
pbuh.png
) said, Allah, the Exalted andGlorious looks down on "the middle night of Sha'ban" and forgives all His creation except two people, the mushahin and the murderer.[Musnad Ahmad Vol 003, Hadith No. 6353] Hadith# 3
Narrated by Abu Musa al-Ash'ari Allah's Messenger (
pbuh.png
) said, Allah, the Exalted and Glorious looks down on "the middle night of Sha'ban" and forgives all His creation. except a polytheist or one who is mushahin.
[Sunan Ibn Maja Vol 002, Hadith Number 1380] Hadith#4
It is related by Abu Thalaba that the Blessed Prophet (
pbuh.png
) said: On the 15th night of Shabaan, Allah looks over at his creation and forgives all the believers except for the one who begrudges and hates. He leaves them in
their enmity.
[Bayhqi, Tafsir ad-Dar al-Manthur Under the Verse 44:3] Hadith#5
Imran bin Husain (ra) reported Allah's Messenger ( ﻢﻠﺳﻭ ﻪﻴﻠﻋ ﻪﻠﻟﺍ ﻰﻠﺻ ) having said to him or to someone else: Did you fast in the "Middle of Sha'ban?" He said: No. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: If you did not observe fast, then you should observe fast for two days.
[Muslim Book 006, Number 2607]

*Hadith Number 2*

عن‏ ‏أبي موسى الأشعري ‏عن رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏إن الله ليطلع في ليلة النصف من شعبان فيغفر لجميع خلقه إلا لمشرك أو مشاحن

Translation: Narrated by Abu Musa al-Ash'ari Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, Allah, the Exalted and Glorious looks down on "the middle night of Sha'ban" and forgives all His creation. except a polytheist or one who is mushahin. [Sunan Ibn Maja Volume 002, Hadith Number 1380]\
the hadith is a sahih one..BUT am confused about this mid shabaan..is it 15 shabaan,,middle of shabaan..if it is..then its true..

Reaction score
Does anyone here know for how long we are celebrating Shab-e-Barat and when this celebration started? I don't want to have any doubt about this matter................ I want to be 100% sure! :)

Reaction score
i asked some people and they said there is no hatidh related to NOT CELEBRATING....n worshiping Allah is good so why worshiping Allah on this night would be considered bid'ah.?... :unsure:

Reaction score
i asked some people and they said there is no hatidh related to NOT CELEBRATING....n worshiping Allah is good so why worshiping Allah on this night would be considered bid'ah.?... :unsure:
Thing is we leave the necessary things, which are obligatory in islam and have sound basis, and go for things which do not have any basis at all. The holy quran tells us not to add anything to the religion. The command is clear, than why question the command of Allah. And no, worshiping on these nights is not bidah, it is only bidah when you think that this is a special night or something like that...

Furthermore, if things like these are permitted, who knows what will happen a few hundred years later. Nowadays people go to the graveyards specially on this day thinking that this is the eid of the dead, what do we know, a few hundred years later, people start celebrating this day as an eid too? I mean this is how the concept of shab e barat started in the first place, with small changes in ahadith and events.
Eventually we are divided into further small sects, each having his own beliefs just because our elders did things according to their own ways, which had no sound basis in our religion.

Reaction score
shab e barat is a night of great importance no doubt! but the ones who are saying that it if u pray with the intention of this one night being the reason ur prayers are heard by Allah are unfortunately not on the right track.
just keep in mind that u need to pray to Allah constantly everyday, all the time. it's the weight in ur Dua'a that matters and not the night when u ask for it except some nights like Laila-tul-Qadr wen it is authenticated by Ahadith that u are rewarded more for praying than on other nights.
actually the Diwali festival of the Hindus is their 'day of nijaat' and they used to make sweet dishes and make noise and *patakhay* and all that kind of stuff and we started following them on this for our own night of nija'at but it's not right.
just abstain from the Hindu traditions that we seem to have picked up in almost every aspect of our lives (like on Basant too) and pray with the intention of making your Allah Almighty happy and ask for His forgiveness and that is all that really matters.

Reaction score
shab e barat is a night of great importance no doubt! but the ones who are saying that it if u pray with the intention of this one night being the reason ur prayers are heard by Allah are unfortunately not on the right track.
just keep in mind that u need to pray to Allah constantly everyday, all the time. it's the weight in ur Dua'a that matters and not the night when u ask for it except some nights like Laila-tul-Qadr wen it is authenticated by Ahadith that u are rewarded more for praying than on other nights.
actually the Diwali festival of the Hindus is their 'day of nijaat' and they used to make sweet dishes and make noise and *patakhay* and all that kind of stuff and we started following them on this for our own night of nija'at but it's not right.
just abstain from the Hindu traditions that we seem to have picked up in almost every aspect of our lives (like on Basant too) and pray with the intention of making your Allah Almighty happy and ask for His forgiveness and that is all that really matters.

Yes, you're right..perfectly right..but there's no such celebration known as Shab-e-baraat...this way, all nights can be called shab-e-barrat right?

Reaction score

Of course the reward is much greater on Laila tu Qadr. But i was talking about Shab e Barat, and there is no such thing as Shab e Barat in Islam. It is like a Muslim starts praying Nafals, thinking and telling others that he is getting greater reward than the normal Salah. Well, that is biddah and that is exactly what Shab e Barat is. People think and tell others that they will get greater reward on this night

Reaction score
Of course the reward is much greater on Laila tu Qadr. But i was talking about Shab e Barat, and there is no such thing as Shab e Barat in Islam. It is like a Muslim starts praying Nafals, thinking and telling others that he is getting greater reward than the normal Salah. Well, that is biddah and that is exactly what Shab e Barat is. People think and tell others that they will get greater reward on this night

Exactly. (y)

Reaction score
Yes, you're right..perfectly right..but there's no such celebration known as Shab-e-baraat...this way, all nights can be called shab-e-barrat right?
no, not exactly all nights. see this night is special in a way that it is our night of nijaat and especially set apart to be so.

Reaction score

simply awesome and comprehensive,u took the moderate path in answering ,it is indeed its real essence..

Reaction score
no, not exactly all nights. see this night is special in a way that it is our night of nijaat and especially set apart to be so.
can you pls tell me what sets it apart? which hadis? Quranic Ayat? any of the sahabas?

If it is a hadis, have you seen it in ANY of the two Sahihs?

Reaction score

and which hadith proves so? Do you think there's something called "Shab-e-Baraat" in Arabic?