• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

SAT PURPOSE(S)?

Reaction score
My greetings to everybody!
Am going for my A and Aslevels for two years (2013-2014) and I have just finished my O levels, I am waiting for my results.
My teachers told me to take part in the SAT examination but when I asked them about the purpose(s) of the SAT examination, I haven't got a clear answer!
So, I am really wondering about what it can benefit me!

I want to go to the US for the greatest Universities, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, M.I.T. or even Stanford. I have heard that SAT can get you a scholarship in one of those Universities.

My A Levels(Cambridge):
1. Maths
2. Physics
3. Design and Technology

My As Levels:
1. English Lit.
2. General Paper

I am from Mauritius and my country, I think, only offers scholarship in the U.K. universities.

Any answers will be a great advance in my enquirements.

Akr!...

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
SAT Reasoning Test is one of the many factors considered by the admission commitee of those US colleges.
Do yourself a favor and take this test in AS-level. Don't worry about its purpose and blah blah. You will thank me later!

Reaction score
Ok thank you, i am 16 right now.
When should i take it?
When I am finished with my A and As levels?
I'll be 18 by the time.
What are the requirements for the SAT?

Reaction score
u wont give A2? :/ and isn't A level's made made up of two part : 1st year-AS Level & 2nd year-A2 Level...confused about your thing with A level and AS..:S

NOW-

Buy the latest Collegeboard book and then later Barrons and also if you can, get Princeton's too... learn many things & give practice tests from there ...
and going to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, M.I.T. or even Stanford is no a walk in the park...heh,never its that easy :|...
How was your O levels? even if u did good in O's, you have to get straight A's/A* in A level....And as for SAT....if you want to go to those top Uni's u better get over 2300/2400 in SAT 1 and you also have to give SAT 2 and get over 2300 for better chances and possibly a scholarship....btw are you a US citizen? If you are you'll get more benefit and aid as this is a + point...And you also need good internal grades from your school tests and some good classified teacher recommendations if you want to set foot in those top Uni's ... There's a lot of work to do,so buckle up fast and get started...u know the drill, now :)

Good luck! if you have further queries,feel free to ask :)

Reaction score
u wont give A2? :/ and isn't A level's made made up of two part : 1st year-AS Level & 2nd year-A2 Level...confused about your thing with A level and AS..:S

NOW-

Buy the latest Collegeboard book and then later Barrons and also if you can get Princeton too... learn many things & give practice tests from there ...
and going to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, M.I.T. or even Stanford is no a walk in the park...heh,never its that easy :|...
How was your O levels? even if u did good in O's, you have to get straight A's/A* in A level....And as for SAT....if you want to go to those top Uni's u better get over 2300/2400 in SAT 1 and you also have to give SAT 2 and get over 2300 for better chances and possibly a scholarship....btw are you a US citizen? If you are you'll get more benefit and aid as this is a + point...And you also need good internal grades from your school tests and some good classified teacher recommendations if you want to set foot in those top Uni's ... There's a lot of work to do,so buckle up fast and get started...u know the drill, now :)

Good luck! if you have further queries,feel free to ask :)

In Mauritius we study:
3 A levels
and 2 As levels for 2 years.
and 1 As is compulsory.

1. Thank for the books.
2. O levels results will be out on the 28-31 of January.
3. Am From Mauritius not from U.S.
4. For internal Results, no problem.
5. I am in many activities at school and am well-known by all students, teachers and the rectress. I am usualle ike the "Big-Boss" of these activities. xD

I want to get in one of those Uni at the start of 2015 and not later than 2016.

Thank you man1

NIM

Reaction score
If u r really willingly to go to US than i suggest u shud be doing ur SAT because in USA they do look for ur SAT... so its better to give///

Reaction score
You should REALLY give the SAT 1 right now. It's pretty difficult to score in and I've seen many excellent students struggle to get good scores in it. So just don't leave it till your senior year, you'll seriously regret it then ( I'm talking from personal experience here ).
Btw, since you'll be a student from Mauritius, thats going to help you a bit. You'll be counted in as a URM (under represented minority) and a hook such as that can be pretty useful when applying to such competitive universities.

Reaction score
You should REALLY give the SAT 1 right now. It's pretty difficult to score in and I've seen many excellent students struggle to get good scores in it. So just don't leave it till your senior year, you'll seriously regret it then ( I'm talking from personal experience here ).
Btw, since you'll be a student from Mauritius, thats going to help you a bit. You'll be counted in as a URM (under represented minority) and a hook such as that can be pretty useful when applying to such competitive universities.
I am really grateful to you oldfashionedgirl but HOW will I do the SAT when I don't have a preparation of it and how it goes on.
What are the requirements?
I am doing my A levels right now. Wouldn't it be too much of overloading for me?

Reaction score
I am really grateful to you oldfashionedgirl but HOW will I do the SAT when I don't have a preparation of it and how it goes on.
What are the requirements?
I am doing my A levels right now. Wouldn't it be too much of overloading for me?
There are NO requirements for giving the SAT such as age or class limit, etc. In the US, students start preparing and taking SAT's as early as 8th or 9th grade. Just start practicing from any good SAT preparatory book such as Barron's or Princeton Review and give it once in the summer or atleast in October. Don't delay it any more than October. And also, look for other good US universities as well such as liberal arts colleges. Don't just apply to such top universities. Trust me on this.

Oh, and btw, I'm not sure if you already know about this website, most probably you already do but in case you don't, I'd suggest you start making yourself familiar with it. It's extremely helpful for students applying in US colleges:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

Reaction score
My greetings to everybody!
Am going for my A and Aslevels for two years (2013-2014) and I have just finished my O levels, I am waiting for my results.
My teachers told me to take part in the SAT examination but when I asked them about the purpose(s) of the SAT examination, I haven't got a clear answer!
So, I am really wondering about what it can benefit me!

I want to go to the US for the greatest Universities, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, M.I.T. or even Stanford. I have heard that SAT can get you a scholarship in one of those Universities.

My A Levels(Cambridge):
1. Maths
2. Physics
3. Design and Technology

My As Levels:
1. English Lit.
2. General Paper

I am from Mauritius and my country, I think, only offers scholarship in the U.K. universities.

Any answers will be a great advance in my enquirements.

Akr!...
well another option other then SAT is ACTs it has a disadvantage that it istotally USA based if you want to apply to USA only then its the best option cause there are less no of students applying through ACTs and getting a good score is also easier for ACTS. if not then take SATs in AS level if not then by the start of A2 do not delay it any further but beware SAT results are only valid for a limmited time which i think is an year

Reaction score
^ The time period of validity for SAT scores varies for most states in the US but generally, the scores are valid for atleast 3 years.

Reaction score
hmm well thats y they ask to give sat within a years time. wel i may b wrong but thats what i have been told