• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

S2 Mathematics : Masters of statistics 2 please help us

Reaction score
so much*

I also have one more question, if you could please explain,
M/J 2011 p73
Q2 part i) Firstly, isn't the approximation from binomial to normal taken as (n*p, n*p*(1-p))? The examiner report states that it is (p, [p*(1-p)]/n). Please clarify this.
and secondly, from the question, I concluded that it is one-tailed, as the question mentions bars of soap being undersized, however, the z value used in the MS was for a two-tailed test ( 1.645 was used, not 1.282 for the 90% C.I.) :/

and in questions like Q3 part i), i don't know which proportions to use in my binomial calculation ( in this case 0.15 and 0.85 were the original proportions, but i used 2/30 and 28/30 )
2)i) its not about binomial or normal approximation and we dnt hab to see about 1 or 2 tail..here we hab to find cinfidence interval which goes like dis..
here, n=70, p=18/70= 9/35
At 90% cinfidence level,
z=+or-1.645
formula is P=p+or-z*root[p(1-p)/n]
=9/35+or-1.645*root[9/35(1-9/35)]/70
first take +ve,
u will get 0.343
and taking -ve,
u will het 0.171
hence interval is 0.171<p<0.343

3)i) That 2 is given us for the calculation, dont take that.its from sample of 30.take 15% as p.
n=30, p= 0.15, null=0.15, alternative <0.15
At 4%sig. level,
P(X less than or equal to 2)
use binomial distribution and get the ans 0.151 which is greater than 0.04
Hence accept H0..
HOPE IT WILL HELP U..;)

Reaction score
2)i) its not about binomial or normal approximation and we dnt hab to see about 1 or 2 tail..here we hab to find cinfidence interval which goes like dis..
here, n=70, p=18/70= 9/35
At 90% cinfidence level,
z=+or-1.645
formula is P=p+or-z*root[p(1-p)/n]
=9/35+or-1.645*root[9/35(1-9/35)]/70
first take +ve,
u will get 0.343
and taking -ve,
u will het 0.171
hence interval is 0.171<p<0.343

3)i) That 2 is given us for the calculation, dont take that.its from sample of 30.take 15% as p.
n=30, p= 0.15, null=0.15, alternative <0.15
At 4%sig. level,
P(X less than or equal to 2)
use binomial distribution and get the ans 0.151 which is greater than 0.04
Hence accept H0..
HOPE IT WILL HELP U..;)
Yet again, thank you :) You have been really helpful, I wish you the best of luck.

Reaction score
The probability that an a% confidence interval includes only values that are lower than the population mean is 1/16. Find the value of a.

?

Reaction score
How was p72 ? Done well master? Hahaha
Ah it was one of the easy paper of hostory..I did well but at that q.7 iii) i did from reverse method, which is given to prove, and found mean..I think i wont get 7 out of 7 there, some marks will b cut off.Overall it was nice.Hoping for A* in maths..Lets see what will happen...And what abt u??how was ur exam???

Reaction score
Ah it was one of the easy paper of hostory..I did well but at that q.7 iii) i did from reverse method, which is given to prove, and found mean..I think i wont get 7 out of 7 there, some marks will b cut off.Overall it was nice.Hoping for A* in maths..Lets see what will happen...And what abt u??how was ur exam???

Sadly, i couldnt do the 7 marks question. It is an overall easy paper though! Hehee
Did you do o levels? How was it?

Reaction score
Sadly, i couldnt do the 7 marks question. It is an overall easy paper though! Hehee
Did you do o levels? How was it?
No yar, i didn't do O level. I am from Nepal, hence completed SLC and joined A-level. What about you? Are you from O level??

Reaction score
No yar, i didn't do O level. I am from Nepal, hence completed SLC and joined A-level. What about you? Are you from O level??

Yep im from olvel! My maths O level is A* .. ehehehe but in A level I think i shall get a B or C :)

re u planning to take maths for your major in uni?

Reaction score
Yep im from olvel! My maths O level is A* .. ehehehe but in A level I think i shall get a B or C :)

re u planning to take maths for your major in uni?
Oh A* in O level..gud one dude..keep it up!! but B or C in a level, why??I think threshold wont b soo high for P3, it will b around 58 for A.What marks did u get in ur As maths??
No, i am planning to do CPA in usa, so i will doing accounting in major. If not usa then i will b rushing for CA in india.What about ur plan after a level??

Reaction score
Oh A* in O level..gud one dude..keep it up!! but B or C in a level, why??I think threshold wont b soo high for P3, it will b around 58 for A.What marks did u get in ur As maths??
No, i am planning to do CPA in usa, so i will doing accounting in major. If not usa then i will b rushing for CA in india.What about ur plan after a level??

I got only 86 on my AS,, not quite good eh.. how bout you? hehe
I'm planning for either hongkong singapore or japan.. hehee..
Ohh cool USA, why dont you try UK? I heard its much better there!

Reaction score
I got only 86 on my AS,, not quite good eh.. how bout you? hehe
I'm planning for either hongkong singapore or japan.. hehee..
Ohh cool USA, why dont you try UK? I heard its much better there!
Oh u won me by 1% in As, i got 85%.My stat didn't go well in As. At that time, there were 3 exams in one day, account, economics and stat. So my stat went bad. But in A2 my predicted marks for p3 is 67 and p7 is 45, soo hoping for high A 88 or 89 or just A* 90.Lets see what will happen.
I heard that UK wont give maximum scholarships like that of US, so i planning for USA. I will go for the examination of SAT after this exam.Which field r u planning to go for after a level?
And what is ur upcoming exam?Accounts??How is ur preparation going on??