• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Reassurance/ Advice needed

Reaction score
Hello, i have just started chemistry and physics o levels. The exams are in may! That means I have more or less 5 months. I did my o levels privately so I took few subjects at a time. Anyway now, these are my last subjects. I will be done in may. I am extremely nervous since I am pretty much starting from the beginning for both subjects. Is 5 months enough time? For a very good grade? Any tips? Reassurance? I'm taking tuition also... but am not relying fully on tuition. How did you start studying for these subjects? Because it's overwhelming and seems like a lot of information!!
Also since I am a private candidate, I dont have to focus on anything else. Just physics and chemistry. I have already done the first few chapters in each :) Please reply!

Reaction score
a little depressed, since I dont go to school and I dont have any friends to discuss it with :(

Reaction score
Also last thing, I noticed that in the timetable that atp and the theory papers are on the same day? How stressful is that??????????//

Reaction score
You don't need to worry.
5 months is more than enough, to master these two subjects, for you to get an A*, easily.
And the atp with theory on the same day, is not a big deal.
If you are prepared, you can give a million atp's on the same day. :p

- You need to go through all the chapters in the book, the sections are divided into General Physics, Thermal Physics, Waves, Electricity and Magnetism, Atomic Physics. The first thing you need is to completely understand all these topics, their details and allow the concepts to settle in your mind. Learn all the formulas, understand how they work, to which situation they apply. Then, you can move onto practicing past papers. You should have Topical past papers, which divide the past papers into topics. If you completely master one topic, solve its past paper questions. End it. Then move onto the next one.
You are taking tuition, so if you feel any difficulty in understanding, you can take help from there. So, even understanding is not a problem now.
Set targets for each month, complete them.

Believe me, if someone wants, Physics can be mastered in 3 months even, if a person starts right from scratch, not kidding.
Heck, you have 5 whole months, where you don't even have any more subjects. I know people who are appearing for 7 times the number of subjects you are appearing for.

For Chemistry, it is also the same method. Just go through the topics, understand them, allow them to settle.
Take a look at the syllabus for both Physics and Chemistry, and read it thoroughly to know what is required in the exam.

If you have any questions, you can ask. And you seriously don't need to be nervous, as that will lead to no good. Believe in yourself!
Goodluck!

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Honestly your elaborate response made my day! Going to buckle down and study iA! Are you appearing also? I'm going to do what you said: go chapter by chapter in textbooks, constantly revise, and make sure I know the concepts! I do have topical past papers so I hope doing them will solidify everything:) The yearly past papers I will keep for April iA. The chemistry syllabus seems like a lot of learning:/ Still, I wont get anywhere if I don't keep studying.

Again, thank you so much! Really needed to hear this. A few people I asked gave me extremely negative responses on how difficult physics and chem are (especially chemistry) and how I'll have to study 8+ hours everyday. God bless you:)

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Honestly your elaborate response made my day! Going to buckle down and study iA! Are you appearing also? I'm going to do what you said: go chapter by chapter in textbooks, constantly revise, and make sure I know the concepts! I do have topical past papers so I hope doing them will solidify everything:) The yearly past papers I will keep for April iA. The chemistry syllabus seems like a lot of learning:/ Still, I wont get anywhere if I don't keep studying.

Again, thank you so much! Really needed to hear this. A few people I asked gave me extremely negative responses on how difficult physics and chem are (especially chemistry) and how I'll have to study 8+ hours everyday. God bless you:)

Yes, i am appearing for Physics and Chemistry too, in May-June 2014.
And You're welcome. :)

Reaction score
Only physics and chem? Hows your prep going :)
I took the rest of my o levels, so feel free to ask my anything as well :)

Reaction score
Only physics and chem? Hows your prep going :)
I took the rest of my o levels, so feel free to ask my anything as well :)

No, 11 other subjects. :p
I was just studying Physics, solving questions.
A lot of stuff is left, i have my midterms in 4 days. ._.

Reaction score
That's a lot! How many subjects will you have for o levels completely? I'm assuming you'll have covered majority (75% of both syllabuses so far)? Well good luck :)

Reaction score
That's a lot! How many subjects will you have for o levels completely? I'm assuming you'll have covered majority (75% of both syllabuses so far)? Well good luck :)

15, maybe.
Well, Yes. for Physics and Chemistry!

Reaction score
Thats insane! How are your o level grades so far?
Eeek Im starting from scratch :/ sigh* even though theres time, but still...

Reaction score
Thats insane! How are your o level grades so far?
Eeek Im starting from scratch :/ sigh* even though theres time, but still...

They're good.
I had to appear for 7 compulsory subjects in May-June 2014.. but i decided to take 6 extra ones recently, which i hadn't studied before, ever.
So i started from scratch, 6 new subjects, a few days ago.
You only have two. And 5 Whole months ahead of you, don't worry, you have a lot of time..

Reaction score
Aaah thanks for the kind words, which 6 extra?
hahaha perhaps this conversation should be continued through inbox....

Reaction score
I am also a private candidate. I'll be appearing in 6 subjects. These are Maths, Add Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Computer and English. I am not much concerned about english. Though, Maths and Physics worry me. Maths and Add Maths combine eat up most of my time and I think I am not able to concentrate more on other subjects consequently. Dil halka karna tha you know. Please give me advice on how to prepare for maths. I have only done Geometrical properties of Circle and transformation (1/3) Please guide me on how to complete my maths course till end of February. Should I start with paper 1? Please, I need some advice :) And how to score an A* in Add Maths by the way?

Reaction score
I am also a private candidate. I'll be appearing in 6 subjects. These are Maths, Add Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Computer and English. I am not much concerned about english. Though, Maths and Physics worry me. Maths and Add Maths combine eat up most of my time and I think I am not able to concentrate more on other subjects consequently. Dil halka karna tha you know. Please give me advice on how to prepare for maths. I have only done Geometrical properties of Circle and transformation (1/3) Please guide me on how to complete my maths course till end of February. Should I start with paper 1? Please, I need some advice :) And how to score an A* in Add Maths by the way?

Well, they key is to just practice.

Reaction score

Math should honestly be the least of your worries. Just keep practicing. As for Addmath, I cannot stress enough how much you need to practice. Just keep doing all types of questions and past papers, thats the only way you can learn it. Do questions from the textbook and also from topical( if you have them) to A* it. For addmath, pay more attention to the differentiation/integration/relativevelocity/kinematics( although its also easy), the rest honestly isnt bad. ONLY practice. As I am appearing for physics and chem, I opened the chemistry book today. Horrible feeling :/ So much information only in the first few chapters! The questions at the end of the chapter in the prescott book are actually hard. No idea how to tackle it. Physics: I am concerned about also but not as concerned as I have been told it isnt as bad as Chemistry.