• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Really need help in choosing Fsc or A levels... :I

Reaction score
So I am currently going to give my O levels in june 2013, and obviously I have to choose if I am going to apply for A levels or inter this year.

Since I am good in maths (and addmaths too :D), I want to chose engineering (architectural or bio-medical) as my career. And to get into NED(I live in karachi), the best option is to do inter. But I see my sis who is also doing it, and realize how weird and difficult it is. :/
But then again, choosing A levels would mean , that I might not get into NED, and have to do engineering privately, which is not possible.

And there is also the problem of giving the entry test. However, Ned website says that if you give SATs and manage to get good marks, you don't have to give the entry test. SO wouldnt it be better if I give A levels, and SATs instead of facing inter ?? Or would it be difficult for me to adjust in NED even if I did manage to get admission in it?

Reaction score
My advice is to do A level as it far superior than Inter.
Secondly, most students who have a O/A level background struggle to settle in local universities as the most universities curriculum is based on rote learning. So most probably you will not be able to adjust in NED. The perfect scenario for you will be to study abroad after A level if you can. The standard of any good foreign university is much better than the local universities.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.

Reaction score
Yeah, but what if I do inter, and get adjusted to the environment of NED. Cuz it is not possible for me to study abroad. :/ and doing this might be the only option I guess

Reaction score
So I am currently going to give my O levels in june 2013, and obviously I have to choose if I am going to apply for A levels or inter this year.

Since I am good in maths (and addmaths too :D), I want to chose engineering (architectural or bio-medical) as my career. And to get into NED(I live in karachi), the best option is to do inter. But I see my sis who is also doing it, and realize how weird and difficult it is. :/
But then again, choosing A levels would mean , that I might not get into NED, and have to do engineering privately, which is not possible.

And there is also the problem of giving the entry test. However, Ned website says that if you give SATs and manage to get good marks, you don't have to give the entry test. SO wouldnt it be better if I give A levels, and SATs instead of facing inter ?? Or would it be difficult for me to adjust in NED even if I did manage to get admission in it?
Is NED a government institute?

If yes, it would need equivalences SSC AND HSSC

SSC consits of 800 marks from Olevels
HSSC consists of 1100 marks. 800 from OLEVEL,,,, and only 300 from alevel

A* get 90 marks
A gets 85
B 75
C 65

So, Olevel grades become really really important

I do not know the division of SSC, HSSC and ECAT etc like 10%, 40%, 50% etc to the final score

Go search on NED website

I can tell of medical in punjab, but all govt institutions need equivalences

Stick with Alevels and let me know ur olevel grades if u want to find ur equivalence. Or u can calculate it urself

Reaction score

i think u shud choose fsc,,, as i did pakistani system till 8th standard and just got transferred to cambridge system omggg ufff both are two completelyyyyyyy different things.im struggling alot :( . i also wanna do engineering and im also thinking to do fsc or american system after this bcz u knw if u do alevels ur 20% marks will be deducted in pakistani universities,,, so its better to take fsc according to me bcz i might do the same thing :)

Reaction score
i think u shud choose fsc,,, as i did pakistani system till 8th standard and just got transferred to cambridge system omggg ufff both are two completelyyyyyyy different things.im struggling alot :( . i also wanna do engineering and im also thinking to do fsc or american system after this bcz u knw if u do alevels ur 20% marks will be deducted in pakistani universities,,, so its better to take fsc according to me bcz i might do the same thing :)
No marks are deducted. Please read this
http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/attachments/mbbs-guide-pptx.19001/

Reaction score
Is NED a government institute?

If yes, it would need equivalences SSC AND HSSC

SSC consits of 800 marks from Olevels
HSSC consists of 1100 marks. 800 from OLEVEL,,,, and only 300 from alevel

A* get 90 marks
A gets 85
B 75
C 65

So, Olevel grades become really really important

I do not know the division of SSC, HSSC and ECAT etc like 10%, 40%, 50% etc to the final score

Go search on NED website

I can tell of medical in punjab, but all govt institutions need equivalences

Stick with Alevels and let me know ur olevel grades if u want to find ur equivalence. Or u can calculate it urself
nothing on NED website

Reaction score
read the SSC and HSSC equivalence thing

for ssc they count for ENGINEERING
phy
chem
math
bio/computer studies
eng
urdu
pakst
isl

alevel
phy
chem
bio

Just wanted to tell that HSSC equivalence includes Olevel as well as ALevel marks. Olevel marks are very very important