• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

question in bio

Reaction score
heya all again
anyone knows how to calculate the magnification of a picture??
in my bio pastpaper.. it is given a pic of cells with the length of the distance =0.06 mm ..
then its written calculate the magnification of this fig ...

so hmm if anyone can help .. pleaseee i need to know how to solve it because am sure that its pretty easy formula

.. waiting..

Reaction score
The question asks for drawing or not? And can you tell me which year is it from and the exact question?

Reaction score
The (age old :p) formula for magnification is as follows:
Magnification = length of drawing or figure/length of actual specimen
In your case, the length of the actual specimen would be 0.06 mm. Measure the same length on the picture with your ruler and record it in millimetres (units have to be same). Then insert both lengths into the above mentioned formula and write your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures e.g. x 200 or x 150. (Answers like x 148.2 are not accepted).
In some cases, the picture they provide is already magnified and the magnification is mentioned in a corner on the picture. The question may ask you to draw a diagram of the given picture and then calculate IT'S magnification.
So in that case, you do the following calculation:
Magnification of drawing = length of drawing/length of picture x magnification of picture.

Reaction score
n u ve to make sure that the length is LONGEST.....u ve to rotate ur ruler on diagram to get the longest one...

Reaction score
The question asks for drawing or not? And can you tell me which year is it from and the exact question?
i lost that page right now lolz .. so i'll give u another one i solved as mr abcde told
3 nov 1998 paper 6 ,page 8.. "its 2010 but written 1998"
my drawing length was 10cm and actual is 5cm .. so the answer of queston 4b is × 32
inform me if its not correct

abcde said:
The (age old :p) formula for magnification is as follows:
Magnification = length of drawing or figure/length of actual specimen
In your case, the length of the actual specimen would be 0.06 mm. Measure the same length on the picture with your ruler and record it in millimetres (units have to be same). Then insert both lengths into the above mentioned formula and write your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures e.g. x 200 or x 150. (Answers like x 148.2 are not accepted).
In some cases, the picture they provide is already magnified and the magnification is mentioned in a corner on the picture. The question may ask you to draw a diagram of the given picture and then calculate IT'S magnification.
So in that case, you do the following calculation:
Magnification of drawing = length of drawing/length of picture x magnification of picture.

ok thats exactly what i needed .. thankssss alotttttttttttt
now am able to solve these kinda questions :)

n u ve to make sure that the length is LONGEST.....u ve to rotate ur ruler on diagram to get the longest one...
ok i got it .. thanks :)

Reaction score
this year in Bio's atp too there was this diagram given and we had to find its magnification.....does anyone remember?? i just need to confirm the answer. was it x570 or was it smthng above thousand?? please tell

Reaction score
As far as I remember, it was something like x570 but I'm not sure. Some people did get a value above one thousand though. :S