• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

QUESTION ABOUT EDEXCEL IAL? HELP!

Reaction score
Salams everyone,

just a really quick question for those who are doing/have done International AS. Lets say for Biology or Chemistry, do you know how our grades are averaged for UNIT 1 + UNIT 2? Are they added up or what? So lets say you get A in one, B in the other, will they be averaged to get an overall grade because on the website for the grade boundaries they have "cash-in grades" but that is only for UMS which is over 300 and the highest you can get if you add up both is only 80+80+50 = 210. Sorry, I'm a bit confused lol!:confused:

If anyone can help me I will really appreciate it ;)

Reaction score
For AS Science, the total UMS is 300,
Unit 1 is out of 120,
Unit 2 is out of 120,
Unit 3 is out of 60.
The grade that you get is determined by adding up all of the UMS for these 3 units. For example, to get an A you need 240 UMS.
Some exams are harder than others, so the grade boundaries, and thus UMS, vary with each year.

Reaction score
Thanks your reply YOzkul but what if you aren't doing the tests out of 120. The raw marks are out of 80? Then what?

Reaction score
Okay, this is a little complicated, but I'll try my best to simplify it.Yes, the exam is out of 80, INITIALLY, without factoring in the difficulty of the exam. Each exam paper is different, no two are the same.Therefore, some exams are much easier than others.The UMS is basically a standard, allowing for yearly comparisons to occur. Edexcel looks at each years performance and varies the curve based on that, and the curve determines the UMS score you get. Here's an example:
EXAM 1- Its super easy, most people get 80%. Because it is easy, the requirement for 100 UMS will be like a 95%.
EXAM 2- Its very hard, most people get 30%. Because of its difficulty, the requirement for 100 UMS will be 45%.
I hope this helped clear things up!

Reaction score
Okay, this is a little complicated, but I'll try my best to simplify it.Yes, the exam is out of 80, INITIALLY, without factoring in the difficulty of the exam. Each exam paper is different, no two are the same.Therefore, some exams are much easier than others.The UMS is basically a standard, allowing for yearly comparisons to occur. Edexcel looks at each years performance and varies the curve based on that, and the curve determines the UMS score you get. Here's an example:
EXAM 1- Its super easy, most people get 80%. Because it is easy, the requirement for 100 UMS will be like a 95%.
EXAM 2- Its very hard, most people get 30%. Because of its difficulty, the requirement for 100 UMS will be 45%.
I hope this helped clear things up!
Yasin you should be active on here :p It's your kind of site xD
*Sorry for going off-topic*