• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Query (Add-Maths)

Reaction score
Another Permutations and Combinations Problem:
1) A cultural event is to showcase 2 song items, 2 plays and 4 dance items. Find the number of arrangements
(c) in which the 4 dance items are separated?

My answer looks like this:
The arrangements in which the dance (D) items are separated are: N D N D N D N D or D N D N D N D N , where N represents non-dance items.
So, number of possible arrangements: 4! x 4! x 2 = 1152.
However the correct answer is 2880. Where and how am I wrong? Please help me out quickly !!!

Reaction score
Please answer this question too:
2) A concert pianist agrees to take part in a charity concert. She offers a choice of 10 works, of which 5 were composed by Choplin, 3 by Liszt and 2 by Schumann. Calculate the number of ways 4 works can be selected if the selection contains works by exactly two of the three composers.
I desperately need your help!

Reaction score
abcde said:
Please answer this question too:
2) A concert pianist agrees to take part in a charity concert. She offers a choice of 10 works, of which 5 were composed by Choplin, 3 by Liszt and 2 by Schumann. Calculate the number of ways 4 works can be selected if the selection contains works by exactly two of the three composers.
I desperately need your help!

5 C , 3L, 2S
so ... if 0 by Choplin .. possible combinations are 3C3* 2C1 + 3C2 * 2C2 = 5
if 0 by Liszt... possible combinations are 5C3 * 2C1 + 5C2 * 2C2 = 30
if 0 by Schumann ..possible combinations are 5C1 * 3C3 + 5C2 * 3C2+ 5C3 * 3C1=65
ANS = 100

Reaction score
abcde said:
Another Permutations and Combinations Problem:
1) A cultural event is to showcase 2 song items, 2 plays and 4 dance items. Find the number of arrangements
(c) in which the 4 dance items are separated?

My answer looks like this:
The arrangements in which the dance (D) items are separated are: N D N D N D N D or D N D N D N D N , where N represents non-dance items.
So, number of possible arrangements: 4! x 4! x 2 = 1152.
However the correct answer is 2880. Where and how am I wrong? Please help me out quickly !!!
Yar there are other possible combinations as well. example D N N D N D N D, D N D N N D N D, D N D N D N N D
so therefore the answer should be 2880 ( 4! * 4! * 5)

Another viable method is .total combinations - combinations when dance items are placed together = possible combinations if dance items are nt placed together :)

Reaction score
Thanks Thanks... But how do you find the arrangements in which the dance items are placed together?