• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Query about Extra Subjects.

Reaction score
Hello XPC!
- So I am planning to give extra subjects, however, I'm not quite sure WHEN to give them. I am currently in my second years of O levels (I just gave my compulsary subjects i.e. Pak Studies, Islamiat and Urdu) I am yet to give six more exams (next year). I am planning to give extra subjects in the October/Nov session AFTER my exams next year i.e. OCT/NOV 2015. I cannot give them this year because the subjects this year are hard for me. Do you think I should give them this year instead?
- Secondly, I was wondering what subjects to take? I was thinking, Sociology and EM, as the general perception about them is they aren't very difficult. Also, I seem to have an acute interest in them ^_^
What subjects would you recommend?
- Thirdly, I wanted to make sure that my hard work doesn't go into waste. Are extra subjects really worth it? Are they going to increase my chances of getting into a good university? (because THAT IS WHAT I WANT) Are they gonna boost my chances of getting a scholarships for A Level?

Assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Reaction score
Don't let this session go to waste, give Environmental Management since you've given P0akistan Studies (Geography covers most of the syllabus for Environmental Management) and Islamic religion and culture since you've done Islamiyat (it covers 80% of it's syllabus).

Extra subjects are given no credit by universities, and for A Level scholarship, these extra A's will only help out in case you don't pull off A's in your major subjects, which is definitely undesirable.

Quantity can not take you to a good university, it's quality + a competitive SAT score + your motivation letter that'll get you to one, with a scholarship of course.

Reaction score
LioxMessi are you suggesting I give these exams in the coming OCT/NOV session?! I really wan't to give them this year but honestly, I'm no good at sciences, maths etc and I really don't want to compromise my major subjects since my prerp for those subs needs to be spotless. :/

Reaction score
Yes, the upcoming one. And don't appear for extras on the sacrifice of your majors, or else it'll become difficult for you to get to a good university. You can appear for Combined Science after giving your majors if you want an extra A*/A, in November 2015. I won't suggest you to give more subjects since then they'll be on the sacrifice of your A Levels. Focus on getting quality rather than quantity, because this is what the universities compare with the other applicants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you LioxMessi
The November 2015 session suits me more, and I don't think a single extra subject would clash with my A-Levels, I'm most probably going to take EM as an extra-sub. Lol, the idea of sacrificing your majors for extra subs sounds ABSURD!