• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
the question isn't related to light! it's related to auxin!
this didnt make sense :/ the shoot will only grow that way because of the light, there is no other factor which will cause it to grow that way, anyways im now sure that the tip detects the light and auxin is resposible for growth only.

Reaction score
this didnt make sense :/ the shoot will only grow that way because of the light, there is no other factor which will cause it to grow that way, anyways im now sure that the tip detects the light and auxin is resposible for growth only.
yeahp...auxin is responsible for growth...that is the reason where auxin is present, the growth will be MORE i.e it will bend (C)
plus....there is no where shown in the question where is light!

Reaction score
I ha
I've asked this question and I still don't get it. It's from 2001
People have different opinions here.. but I think that the answer is C. If the tip of a shoot is replaced by agar jelly containing auxin, the auxin will diffuse through the agar (since it is permeable) and will cause the shoot to grow more on the side where it is concentrated. The only answer that qualifies is C, since the agar jelly is placed on the longer side of the shoot! Hope this helped..

Reaction score
I ha
I've asked this question and I still don't get it. It's from 2001
gfdg.png
the agar jelly is on the right side and if you see the growth on the right side side is more than on the left side...which is correct!
cuz wherever auxin is present, the growth on that side is more than the other!
Hope you get it..

Reaction score
Can someone please explain this answer.. why can't it be C??
EV7Kx.jpg

Reaction score
The answer is C, could you please explain it further, I am really confused. As the tip is cut off, the auxin secretion is prevented and that was why I answered A but the thing is , there is no light source mentioned in the question so based on what do we choose which tropism behavior the plant shows?!?

Reaction score
The answer is C, could you please explain it further, I am really confused. As the tip is cut off, the auxin secretion is prevented and that was why I answered A but the thing is , there is no light source mentioned in the question so based on what do we choose which tropism behavior the plant shows?!?
the auxin secretion is prevented..that's true!
but what they have done is they kept agar jelly which contains auxins...auxins CAN diffuse to the shoot to affect it's growth...iow auxins ARE present...

Reaction score
I'm kinda confused here.. chlorine is deposited at the anode, i get that. But hydrogen is supposed to be deposited at the cathode, right? The answer here is A, how is sodium hydroxide a product of the cathode??

Yvw0O.jpg

Reaction score
I'm kinda confused here.. chlorine is deposited at the anode, i get that. But hydrogen is supposed to be deposited at the cathode, right? The answer here is A, how is sodium hydroxide a product of the cathode??

Yvw0O.jpg
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb...
I think they are talking about the solution 'around' cathode...which is sodium hydroxide!
secondly...there is no other option with chlorine at the anode so the answer is definately A :)

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb...
I think they are talking about the solution 'around' cathode...which is sodium hydroxide!
secondly...there is no other option with chlorine at the anode so the answer is definately A :)
Yeah, there is no any other option with chlorine.. but the question may be changed and come in a different way! They're saying that sodium hydroxide is a "product" of the cathode.. how the hell is that?? :)

Reaction score
Yeah, there is no any other option with chlorine.. but the question may be changed and come in a different way! They're saying that sodium hydroxide is a "product" of the cathode.. how the hell is that?? :)

when i asked my teacher abt this question , she said sometime cie confuse ppl ! so you know that sodium hydroxide , hydrogen and sodium cannot form at anode . only chlorine can form so A seems to be correct !! as far as sodium hydroxide is concerned we studied it is nt form at cathode but remember sometime in paper 6 of chem they are asking why the universal indicator turn purple at cathode and the answer is bcuz of sodium hydroxide not hydrogen !!! THEY MIGHT CONFUSE YOU BUT ALWAYS SEE FOR THE OPTION YOU ARE SURE OF LIKE A .

HOPE IT HELPED YOU :)

Reaction score
For number 22, the question is regarding what is not controlled directly by the nervous system. The detector cells in the pancreas are the ones that detect the change in blood glucose concentration! The nervous system (Brain) causes insulin hormone to be secreted and blah blah. Therefore, it is the pancreas which is responsible for this. As for the dilation of blood vessels, it is the hypothalamus in the brain that detects the change in temperature of the blood.. hence, it is controlled directly by the nervous system. So the answer is A!

For qn 40, I think you are supposed to use your knowledge of photosynthesis. The plants kept in dark will obviously not undergo photosynthesis and therefore, no green plants will be formed, only cream-coloured ones. CIE is very good at twisting questions from all ends! Hope this helped..