• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Plucking Eyebrows?! Allah's curse!

Reaction score
In the hadith , the words 'facial hair' are written in brackets, this means that we people have 'interpretd' the hadith. Why do we take every word of Quran and Hadith 'literally' and don't try to ponder over its figurative, deeper meaning?
Im sorry for being so bold , but the thing is that Allah is extreme of love and purity and we just cannot comprehend him or measure him. Can our supreme creator hate us just because we pluckd some hair from our face?
Its not about 'altering' Allah almighty's creation, its about beautifying it. Our society lays all emphasis on 'looking' muslims rather than 'acting' like one.
No offence please, but i think we should broaden our vision by looking through different perspectives. :)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
In the hadith , the words 'facial hair' are written in brackets, this means that we people have 'interpretd' the hadith. Why do we take every word of Quran and Hadith 'literally' and don't try to ponder over its figurative, deeper meaning?
Im sorry for being so bold , but the thing is that Allah is extreme of love and purity and we just cannot comprehend him or measure him. Can our supreme creator hate us just because we pluckd some hair from our face?
Its not about 'altering' Allah almighty's creation, its about beautifying it. Our society lays all emphasis on 'looking' muslims rather than 'acting' like one.
No offence please, but i think we should broaden our vision by looking through different perspectives. :)

First, ahadith are actually in arabic and I don't know of any scholars that disagree upon plucking of eyebrows being haram since there is a clear hadith in Bukhari and Muslim.... which are the most authentic books on earth after Quran.

Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) said:
Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those women who have themselves tattooed, and those women who get their hair removed from their eyebrows and faces (except the beard and the mustache), and those who make artificial spaces between their teeth for beauty, whereby they change Allah's creation. A woman started to argue with him, saying: "What is all this?" He replied: "Why should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) cursed and who are cursed in Allah's Book? Allah, the Exalted, has said in His Book:

"And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad (S.A.W)) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it)." (59:7)

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

(you can go here for the arabic text: http://sunnah.com/riyadussaliheen/18#135)

Now, as for your argument.... well when someone commands you something you do it.... just like Allah S.W.T commanded us in Quran in the aayah above... When he gives us something we must take it.... we aren't supposed to question or argue 'why' when we know this is a command authentically narrated from him...
You know you just said ' Allah is extreme of love and purity '... well, when He loves you sooo much and you know very well that His wisdom can't be comprehended it is so immense; then a command by Him must surely be followed by us no matter what! Afterall He loves us, so orders us whatever is good for us.... even when we might not understand the wisdom behind it.. we know its that right thing to do as its from Him!!
And it will be pretty arrogant and rude to ignore the command of someone so meriful and kind.. the one that feeds you everyday... the one that gave you your eyesight and intellect and a tongue to speak, hands to use.... unimaginablly valueable gifts...! we can't give up something soooo little for Him..? that he asked us to do in His infinite mercy and wisdom...?
And well ur right that it's not just about looking muslim it's about acting muslim too.. but well we can't leave off the looking part since it has been given to us by the one who is so loving, kind and merciful.

Reaction score
First, ahadith are actually in arabic and I don't know of any scholars that disagree upon plucking of eyebrows being haram since there is a clear hadith in Bukhari and Muslim.... which are the most authentic books on earth after Quran.
^you explained it nicely :) however, I also think that maybe 'plucked' and 'tattooed' has a figurative meaning. Ofcourse now the argument runs into the vision and interpretation of the ulema, so lets leave it here. Peace :)
Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) said:
Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those women who have themselves tattooed, and those women who get their hair removed from their eyebrows and faces (except the beard and the mustache), and those who make artificial spaces between their teeth for beauty, whereby they change Allah's creation. A woman started to argue with him, saying: "What is all this?" He replied: "Why should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) cursed and who are cursed in Allah's Book? Allah, the Exalted, has said in His Book:

"And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad (S.A.W)) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it)." (59:7)

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

(you can go here for the arabic text: http://sunnah.com/riyadussaliheen/18#135)

Now, as for your argument.... well when someone commands you something you do it.... just like Allah S.W.T commanded us in Quran in the aayah above... When he gives us something we must take it.... we aren't supposed to question or argue 'why' when we know this is a command authentically narrated from him...
You know you just said ' Allah is extreme of love and purity '... well, when He loves you sooo much and you know very well that His wisdom can't be comprehended it is so immense; then a command by Him must surely be followed by us no matter what! Afterall He loves us, so orders us whatever is good for us.... even when we might not understand the wisdom behind it.. we know its that right thing to do as its from Him!!
And it will be pretty arrogant and rude to ignore the command of someone so meriful and kind.. the one that feeds you everyday... the one that gave you your eyesight and intellect and a tongue to speak, hands to use.... unimaginablly valueable gifts...! we can't give up something soooo little for Him..? that he asked us to do in His infinite mercy and wisdom...?
And well ur right that it's not just about looking muslim it's about acting muslim too.. but well we can't leave off the looking part since it has been given to us by the one who is so loving, kind and merciful.

Reaction score
Samaani
.............?????
I couldn't post it at that time, Well I wanted to say that You explained it well :) and nicely.(y) But I still believe that "plucking" or "tattooing" has a figurative meaning here. So obviously now the argument runs into the interpretation by the ulemas. So better leave it. Peace :)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
I couldn't post it at that time, Well I wanted to say that You explained it well :) and nicely.(y) But I still believe that "plucking" or "tattooing" has a figurative meaning here. So obviously now the argument runs into the interpretation by the ulemas. So better leave it. Peace :)

really..? but where do you find your interpretation from the 'ulemas'... about being figurative..? that is a dangerous road to take.. whatever you dislike you can say he didn't really meant that...
And for your info I'd like to add there is more than sufficient proof that it is NOT figurative or whatever you call it..... Below is an aayah and interpretation of the plucking eyebrows hadith by a companion of Prophet S.A.W (Abdullah ibn Masud)... and companions are way ahead of any scholar since they learnt directly from the Propphet S.A.W.

"And what Allah restored to His Messenger from the people of the towns - it is for Allah and for the Messenger and for [his] near relatives and orphans and the [stranded] traveler - so that it will not be a perpetual distribution among the rich from among you. And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty." (Quran 59:7)

Quote from Tafsir Ibn Katheer(may Allah have mercy on him):

(And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it).) meaning, `whatever the Messenger commands you, then do it and whatever he forbids you, then avoid it. Surely, He only commands righteousness and forbids evil.' Imam Ahmad recorded that `Abdullah bin Mas`ud said, "Allah curses women who practice tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and the women who remove the hair from their eyebrows and faces and those who make artificial spaces between their teeth in order to look more beautiful, whereby changing Allah's creation.'' His statement reached a woman from Bani Asad called, Umm Ya`qub, who came to `Abdullah and said, "I have come to know that you have cursed such and such'' He replied, "Why should I not curse those whom Allah's Messenger has cursed and who are cursed in Allah's Book!'' Umm Ya`qub said, "I have read the whole Qur'an, but did not find in it what you say.'' He said, "Verily, if you have read the Qur'an, you have found it. Didn't you read,

﴿وَمَآ ءَاتَـكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَـكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانتَهُواْ﴾

(And whatsoever the Messenger gives you take it and whatsoever he forbids you, you abstain (from it).)'' She replied, "Yes, I did.'' He said, "Verily, Allah's Messenger forbade such things. '' "She said, "But I think that your wife does these things'' He said, "Go and look at her.'' She went and watched her, but could not see anything in support of her claim. She went back to `Abdullah bin Mas`ud and said that she did not notice anything on his wife. On that he said, "If my wife was as you thought, I would not keep her with me.'' The Two Sahihs recorded this from the Hadith of Sufyan Ath-Thawri.

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb..

2) Abd-Allaah ibn Masood said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa sallam) say:
“Allaah has CURSED the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows and the one who has it done, and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.” (Bukhaari, Muslim)
O Allah…. save us from Your Curse and guide us to the Right Path. Aameen.
And Allah knows best.

Walaikum Assalam wr wb !
Thanks for the nice topic.... I have a Q : The one abt filling the teeth I didn't get the point? I've filled my teeth bcuz I had plaque in my teeth !
Is that permissible , and The filling is white !
Other things I've never done and nor I have thought to do in my life !!!
Jazakalla7 kul 5yer.....Allah Bless u !
Salaam (Peace)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Walaikum Assalam wr wb !
Thanks for the nice topic.... I have a Q : The one abt filling the teeth I didn't get the point? I've filled my teeth bcuz I had plaque in my teeth !
Is that permissible , and The filling is white !
Other things I've never done and nor I have thought to do in my life !!!
Jazakalla7 kul 5yer.....Allah Bless u !
Salaam (Peace)
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb

Actually, it was a 'fashion' in the old days, the women used to make gaps in b/w their teeth for beauty....it's not filling..filling is different..

That's what I know...Wallahu 'alam..

WaAlaikumAsSalam Wr Wb

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb

Actually, it was a 'fashion' in the old days, the women used to make gaps in b/w their teeth for beauty....it's not filling..filling is different..

That's what I know...Wallahu 'alam..

WaAlaikumAsSalam Wr Wb

Oh ! i didn't know that....Thank u for telling !
Jazakallah Khair ....
Salaam