• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PLEASEEEEEE HELP!!! BIOLOGY OR COMPUTER STUDIES?? :(

Reaction score
Last year I took 7 Olevels including both Biology and ICT, ICT is pretty close the computer studies I guess so...
Anyway both are quite easy and interesting to study... I will be going into medicine inshallah so I guess biology is a main thing to be taken
I think that in O level it doesn't really matter the subjects you take as much as in A Level
so if you are able to take both just in case that would be good, but if you can't, you better go make research into what you're planning to study because if you end up wanting medicine you won't be able to take it a A level unless you have it as O level...
And in anyway engineering mainly ask for math and physics so no need to worry about computer unless you're actually going into a field in programming and such.... c:

Reaction score
U

Are you sure that o level doesnot carry much credit? Bcz if I do medical in o levels and switch to engineering in a levels, then i'll miss so many topics of computer studies......so wouldn't that matter ??
And is COMPUTER STUDIES important for MECHANICAL and ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING ??
How many O levels are you doing and where are you planning to study?

Reaction score
I am doing it from The City School in Karachi.....And what do you mean by "how many o levels r u doing'' ...?
I don't mean what school are you doing your examinations, I mean what university are you going to after grade 12...
and by "how many O levels" I mean how many O level subjects will you do? For example I did 7 O levels (chemistry Biology Physics Math ICT English(ESL) and arabic)
what are you planning to take other than biology or computer sciences?

Reaction score
woah that's a lot good luck on them c:
But in my opinion, if you are already taking chemistry and physics I think that you should probably take biology as well... Because in case you decided to study medicine, biology is a basic need... and in any way engineering needs math and physics as a priority, especially if it's like mechanical and electrical engineering and not into ICT.
And I say again that O levels don't specify a lot in your future as much as A levels... they only decide what range of subjects you are going to choose from in A levels...
Another thing is that your basic subjects that you must have (in engineering a medical case) are physics math biology chemistry english (and the language requirement your country asks for)... so if you take off a subject you would most probably not complete later in A level and do computer along with the biology... that would be good because you may later decide on something that needs computer... but in anyway your basics and the ones you will most probably do as A levels are math bio chem and phys so yeah...
anyway I blabber a lot long story short, Engineering requires Math and Physics
Medicine requires Chemistry and Biology and Math
I say be on the safe side and choose Biology if you can't take both

Reaction score
woah that's a lot good luck on them c:
But in my opinion, if you are already taking chemistry and physics I think that you should probably take biology as well... Because in case you decided to study medicine, biology is a basic need... and in any way engineering needs math and physics as a priority, especially if it's like mechanical and electrical engineering and not into ICT.
And I say again that O levels don't specify a lot in your future as much as A levels... they only decide what range of subjects you are going to choose from in A levels...
Another thing is that your basic subjects that you must have (in engineering a medical case) are physics math biology chemistry english (and the language requirement your country asks for)... so if you take off a subject you would most probably not complete later in A level and do computer along with the biology... that would be good because you may later decide on something that needs computer... but in anyway your basics and the ones you will most probably do as A levels are math bio chem and phys so yeah...
anyway I blabber a lot long story short, Engineering requires Math and Physics
Medicine requires Chemistry and Biology and Math
I say be on the safe side and choose Biology if you can't take both

So overall, i take biology in o levels and then switch to engineering in A levels.....is tht ok ,?

Reaction score
So overall, i take biology in o levels and then switch to engineering in A levels.....is tht ok ,?
It is perfectly fine. Given that you find bio very interesting n not computers, i ll nt suggest u to take computers. I have studies computers in o lvls n struggled a bit b4 i developed some gud interest. Given your career, o lvls really does nt play an important part. You can choose engineering or medical even if u skip computers as in most cases all u need is chemistry, physics n math for both medical n engineering. So if u take bio, you can still go for engineering n medical as well.
btw may I ask that if u r interested in bio, y u dnt want to go for mbbs or any medical field?

Reaction score
what do you mean "switch to engineering in A levels"?
We can choose medical in o levels and we can then choose engineering in A levels.....By the way, we cannot choose computer and biology at the same time....we have to choose either biology or computer.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is perfectly fine. Given that you find bio very interesting n not computers, i ll nt suggest u to take computers. I have studies computers in o lvls n struggled a bit b4 i developed some gud interest. Given your career, o lvls really does nt play an important part. You can choose engineering or medical even if u skip computers as in most cases all u need is chemistry, physics n math for both medical n engineering. So if u take bio, you can still go for engineering n medical as well.
btw may I ask that if u r interested in bio, y u dnt want to go for mbbs or any medical field?
I dont like MBBS.....it is too lengthy n takes a lot of time.....ţ