• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

Question 24: Imagine the wave moving from left to right. Point C would be moving upwards with maximum speed because it precedes a crest.

Question 6: Read the question carefully. The question asks for average velocity, not average speed. Since the graph clearly shows motion in the opposite direction, the 2 distances are equal and hence displacement is zero. Therefore, average velocity = Total Displacement/Time = 0.

Reaction score
ans is C... y does the ammeter reading remain unchanged??
The ammeter is reading the current in that line down there flowing through that resistor next to it. The resistor has potential difference V across it equal to that of the emf of the battery since it is a parallel circuit. The resistor also has its own resistance R. Both of these quantities do not change when the variable resistor's resistance increases. Therefore the current remains the same. Had the ammeter been placed in that branch with the variable resistor, the reading would have decreased.

Reaction score
The ammeter is reading the current in that line down there flowing through that resistor next to it. The resistor has potential difference V across it equal to that of the emf of the battery since it is a parallel circuit. The resistor also has its own resistance R. Both of these quantities do not change when the variable resistor's resistance increases. Therefore the current remains the same. Had the ammeter been placed in that branch with the variable resistor, the reading would have decreased.
But the fact that the overall resistance in the circuit increases, doesn't that change the current in the circuit?

Reaction score
But the fact that the overall resistance in the circuit increases, doesn't that change the current in the circuit?
The overall current in the circuit does decrease, but the effect is only on the portion with the variable resistor. Since it is a parallel circuit, the current in the two parts of the circuit will not necessarily be same.

Reaction score
The current next to the battery is the sum of the currents in the two branches. THIS will decrease. Because the branch with the variable resistor has less current.
This is explained by the fact that overall resistance increases.

Reaction score
The current next to the battery is the sum of the currents in the two branches. THIS will decrease. Because the branch with the variable resistor has less current.
This is explained by the fact that overall resistance increases.
The overall current in the circuit does decrease, but the effect is only on the portion with the variable resistor. Since it is a parallel circuit, the current in the two parts of the circuit will not necessarily be same.

is it correct to say that the ammeter reading stays unchanged because increase in effective resis of the circuit will cause I in the circuit to decrease
plus due to an increase in the resis of variable resistor, there will now be a greater share of I to the resistor in series with Ammeter. Hence Ammeter reading will neither decrease nor increase & stays unchanged

Reaction score
It'll be a such a favour if someone explained these screenshotted MCQ's for me, they are just last year's, the freshest. Thanks tons!Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.51.48 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.51.48 pm.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 9.12.28 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 9.12.28 pm.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
9702 s08 p2 question 6, i dnt understand how they got the answer for the total power. I have been on it, sumone should please help me

Reaction score
is it correct to say that the ammeter reading stays unchanged because increase in effective resis of the circuit will cause I in the circuit to decrease
plus due to an increase in the resis of variable resistor, there will now be a greater share of I to the resistor in series with Ammeter. Hence Ammeter reading will neither decrease nor increase & stays unchanged
Yes and the decrease in share of I to the section with variable resistor is the same as the decrease in overall I. So there is no effect on the ammeter reading.