• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
B
24)
This concerns values you need to keep in memory unless they are on the data sheets, i'm not sure. Either ways, visible light falls in the range of
400 nm< λ < 700 nm. We can take any value in this range to represent out wavelength. Suppose we take 600 nm.
Then, the number of wavelengths in 1 meter = 1 / (600 * 10^-9) = 1.6667 * 10^6. So our answer is closest to B. Therefore, that's our answer.
29)
244cjgg.jpg
but dude,, why do we divide with 2 ?? As in k by 2 ?:$

Reaction score
Quest

Question 4 as well please.. :)
Guys , Here is My Way :)!
Speed (Avg) = Total distance/Time..
So 40/2.5=16 ms^-1
Now check How many SF is Time and Distance Given ? Its 3 SF.. So Speed Must be 3 SF :p!
So Ans would be 16.0 ms^-1 .. Hence Ans is C or B Possible..!
Then Add Fractional Uncertainties of Time and Distance (Like in Theory)!
For Time= (0.05/2.5) * 100 =2 %
For Distance=(0.1/40)*100=0.25%
Total Percent Uncertainty in Speed= 2+0.25=2.25%

So Uncertainty = (2.25/100) * 16=0.36.. Which Rounds upto 0.4!
Ans is C! :)

Hope i Helped!

Reaction score
So 40/2.5=16 ms^-1
Now check How many SF is Time and Distance Given ? Its 3 SF.. So Speed Must be 3 SF :p!

Hope i Helped!
I do the same way (y)
:eek: ;)

Reaction score
Um could someone explain the concept of weight, upthrust and viscous drag to me? Which is the largest in air? And in water? And what us the result force acting on a body under water?
Also does an object accelerate or decelerate as it falls through air...in both the absence and presence of air resistance
These are AS level questions btw!

Reaction score

kinetic energy remains conserved,
initial = final
since its a stationary body, initial kinetic energy = zero
if velocity of m is v, then velocity of 2m has to be such that sum of momentum remains zero.
therefore,
so velocity of 2m is -v/2 ( negative 'cause its in the opposite direction) :p
you can check, mv + (2m)(-v/2) = 0
now, [ 1/2(m)(v^2) ] / [ 1/2(2m)(-v/2)^2]
it becomes 2/1.
so its C. :D

Reaction score
26) C is just a random value I included; we know that the value of A changes by a factor; from A it becomes (something) * A, not (something) + A. So, I just decided to make that (something) C - it isn't part of the question, it is just something I put it. You will get the same answer by replacing (CA) with A(final). It doesn't matter, you can put whatever you want there.

27) The harmonics do not matter here;

I'll try posting the rest, I have to go right now.

27) Think about it this way - for an electromagnetic wave (or ANY transverse wave, or even a longitudinal wave) regardless of the wavelength and frequency, regardless of all other properties of the wave, as long as it is periodic (as long as it repeats itself in a certain time period), the distance from one crest to the next crest is equal to the wavelength. Similarly, the distance from one trough to the next is equal to the wavelength.

Similarly, on a standing wave, regardless of any other properties of the wave, the distance between two nodes or the distance between two maxima (antinodes) is equal to half the wavelength of that wave. The number of harmonics is dependent on the frequency of the wave, and this does not affect the fact that the distance between two antinodes is half the wavelength.

What is the doubt you're having with 33, exactly? I'll reply as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s06_qp_1.pdf qs 33, 35
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_1.pdf why is 36 B and not C? Why can't we just find the potebtial difference and powers directly without using current...why does that give a wrong answer?

Q33)

The potential difference across the Upper branch is equal to the potential difference across the Lower branch; another assumption we can make is that the potential at P is 12 Volts, and the potential at Q is 0 Volts. So, we can take each branch separately as follows:

Potential Difference across Upper Branch = 12 Volts.
Net Resistance in Upper Branch = 500Ω + 1000Ω = 1500 Ω

So the current through the Upper Branch = I = V/R = 12/1500 = 0.008 Amperes.
Therefore the drop in potential across the 500Ω resistor = IR = 500Ω * 0.008 A = 4 Volts.

Since the potential at P is 12 Volts and the drop in potential energy across the 500Ω resistor is 4 Volts, the Potential at X = 12 - 4 = 8 Volts.

For the lower branch, we repeat the analysis:

Potential Difference across Lower Branch = 12 Volts.
Net Resistance in Lower Branch = 2000Ω + 1000Ω = 3000 Ω

So the current through the Lower Branch = I = V/R = 12/3000 = 0.004 Amperes.
Therefore the drop in potential across the 2000Ω resistor = IR = 2000Ω * 0.004 A = 8 Volts.

Furthermore, if the potential at P is 12 Volts and the drop across the 2000Ω resistor is 8 Volts, the Potential at Y is = 12 - 8 = 4 Volts.

So the difference between the two is 8 - 4 = 4 Volts = B.

Q35)

I remember getting this wrong during a practice test; my classmates had corrected me later with the following argument:

"If you take the resistors on the top and bottom of the diagram and move them towards the resistor on the right so that they kiss (no kidding, that's what they said! awesome guys ;)) each other, they will be in series; then you add them up to give 10 + 10 + 10 = 30Ω total.
Now, they'll be parallel to the 10Ω resistor on the left side, so the resistance is calculated with

1/R(equiv) = 1/30 + 1/10 = 4/30 So R(equiv) should be equal to 30/4 Ω. This is between one and ten, so the answer should be B."
Thanks, guys! :)

2007 Paper:
Q36)

I'm not sure what the problem is here - the answer is C, not B - either ways, just a quick little rundown in any case:

Any battery (except an ideal one, but the one in this problem is not an ideal one) is made of two components as far as circuit diagram components are concerned - the cells that produce a potential difference in the circuit and convert chemical energy to electrical energy, and the internal resistance that practically any real component will have.

Therefore, when the phrase "terminal p.d." is used, they mean the potential difference across both of these components taken together. It is not the potential across the cells alone, or the potential across the internal resistance alone.

However, potential energy is only lost in any kind of resistance (internal resistance is no exception to this) when a current passes through it. So, that is why we have to consider the current as well - a fraction of the energy produced by the cells is lost even before the current leaves the battery, and this loss is in the internal resistance. Not only that, this loss depends intimately on the current produced, so we need to know the current to find out the loss of energy in the internal resistance.

Applying Kirchoff's Second Law going anti-clockwise through the circuit (this is the direction of the current, and this makes it easiest to calculate the values required. We can go in any direction, but this choice makes our job a little easier. Also, the internal resistance can be treated as a separate resistor for this equation):

-4.0I - 2.0I + 3.0 = 0
3.0 = 6.0I
I = 0.5 Amperes.

Therefore, the potential energy lost in the internal resistance is equal to V = IR = 0.5 * 2 = 1 Volt lost.
So, putting this together, we see that the potential difference across the internal resistance is -1.0 Volt and the difference across the cells is +3.0 Volts. Summing them algebraically, we get Terminal PD = 2.0 Volts.

Further, the output power is the power expended by components outside the battery; so this power is given by I²R = 0.5² * 4Ω = 1 Watt
Putting this together we get the answer C.

Hope this helped!

Good Luck for all your exams!

Reaction score
Q33)

The potential difference across the Upper branch is equal to the potential difference across the Lower branch; another assumption we can make is that the potential at P is 12 Volts, and the potential at Q is 0 Volts. So, we can take each branch separately as follows:

Therefore the drop in potential across the 500Ω resistor = IR = 500Ω * 0.008 A = 4 Volts.

Since the potential at P is 12 Volts and the drop in potential energy across the 500Ω resistor is 4 Volts, the Potential at X = 12 - 4 = 8 Volts.

Therefore the drop in potential across the 2000Ω resistor = IR = 2000Ω * 0.004 A = 8 Volts.

Furthermore, if the potential at P is 12 Volts and the drop across the 2000Ω resistor is 8 Volts, the Potential at Y is = 12 - 8 = 4 Volts.

Q35)

I remember getting this wrong during a practice test; my classmates had corrected me later with the following argument:

"If you take the resistors on the top and bottom of the diagram and move them towards the resistor on the right so that they kiss (no kidding, that's what they said! awesome guys ;)) each other, they will be in series; then you add them up to give 10 + 10 + 10 = 30Ω total.
Now, they'll be parallel to the 10Ω resistor on the left side, so the resistance is calculated with

1/R(equiv) = 1/30 + 1/10 = 4/30 So R(equiv) should be equal to 30/4 Ω. This is between one and ten, so the answer should be B."

2007 Paper:
Q36)

I'm not sure what the problem is here - the answer is C, not B - either ways, just a quick little rundown in any case:

Any battery (except an ideal one, but the one in this problem is not an ideal one) is made of two components as far as circuit diagram components are concerned - the cells that produce a potential difference in the circuit and convert chemical energy to electrical energy, and the internal resistance that practically any real component will have.

Therefore, when the phrase "terminal p.d." is used, they mean the potential difference across both of these components taken together. It is not the potential across the cells alone, or the potential across the internal resistance alone.

However, potential energy is only lost in any kind of resistance (internal resistance is no exception to this) when a current passes through it. So, that is why we have to consider the current as well - a fraction of the energy produced by the cells is lost even before the current leaves the battery, and this loss is in the internal resistance. Not only that, this loss depends intimately on the current produced, so we need to know the current to find out the loss of energy in the internal resistance.

Applying Kirchoff's Second Law going anti-clockwise through the circuit (this is the direction of the current, and this makes it easiest to calculate the values required. We can go in any direction, but this choice makes our job a little easier. Also, the internal resistance can be treated as a separate resistor for this equation):

-4.0I - 2.0I + 3.0 = 0
3.0 = 6.0I
I = 0.5 Amperes.

Therefore, the potential energy lost in the internal resistance is equal to V = IR = 0.5 * 2 = 1 Volt lost.
So, putting this together, we see that the potential difference across the internal resistance is -1.0 Volt and the difference across the cells is +3.0 Volts. Summing them algebraically, we get Terminal PD = 2.0 Volts.

Further, the output power is the power expended by components outside the battery; so this power is given by I²R = 0.5² * 4Ω = 1 Watt

Hope this helped!

I did all that except the last part where you subtract 4 from 8...why do u do that? The pd on either side of X and Y is 8+4=12 so shouldnt the total difference in pd be 12-12=O

Reaction score
Q33)

Q35)

2007 Paper:
Q36)

-4.0I - 2.0I + 3.0 = 0
3.0 = 6.0I
I = 0.5 Amperes.

Hope this helped!

Wait so the terminal potential difference isn't the pd wcross the battery's internal resistance? I thought that's what it meant so I did 4/6 x 3 and got 1 V

Reaction score
So 40/2.5=16 ms^-1

Hope i Helped!
Thought blocker this is ma way of doin :)
Sorry for being late though! :D