• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The Fly wheel has a small magnet of mass M mounted on it. Each time the magnet passes the coil, a voltage pulse is generated , which is passes to the c.r.o the display of the c.r.o is 10 cm wide . The flywheel is rotating at a rate of about 3000 revolutions per minute . Which time-base setting will display clearly separate pulses onscreen.

(some one please answer this question with explanation and from where can i learn about c.r.o as i can not find anything useful in book )
6000 revs per minute, that is 250 rev per second. As each revolution causes one pulse, just calculate the time for one pulse by 1/250 that is .004s. I can't give an exact answer but a time base of around 1 to 2ms should work.

Reaction score
MCQ QUESTIONS
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s08_qp_1.pdf

Q2,7,14,16,22,23,25,26,27,28,29,31,32

Please help with even one of these questions
22) from the end point of the limit of proportionality to Y we have elastic limit...after Y it'll be permanently deformed so frm X to Y it'll be elastic but not plastic

25) it is a very simple n easy question... as d is not the maximum displacement frm the mean position so it won't be the amplitude. it's just a displacement frm the mean position... for h-t graph one wavelength represents a time period while for s-d graph it will be a wavelength...

26) intensity is directly proportional to (amplitude)2 and inversely proportional to (distance)2 so in this question we will take (amplitude)2 inversely proportional to (distance)2... so by increasing r, A will decrease i.e. 1/r=8 so 1/2r=4 by doubling the r, Amplitude will be halved.

27) f=V/2l
V= speed and l= wavelength (x)
as from the node to antinode it is a half wavelength so full wavelength will be 2l
AND f=c/(2x2)l = c/4l

28) sinθ=nλ/d
for the third order of diffraction, wavelength = 3λ
d=1/N where N is the number of lines
so: sinθ=3λ / 1/N => sinθ=3λN

31) F=eV/d
as it's gaining 5 electrons so; e= (5) x (1.6 x 10^-19) = 8 x 10^-19
so F= (8 x 10^-19) x (5000) / (0.8 x 10^-2)= 5 x 10^-13 N
it is negatively charged so it will move upwards
remember to chnge cm into m........

Last edited:
Reaction score
2) I upload a file watch page 4
7) accn of free fall on moon is aboutt 1/6 that of earth so, accn of free fall on moon is 1.6 m/s
so W=mass * accn of free fall
= 30 * 1.6 = 48 so about 49 N
14,16,22 Suchal Riaz ZaqZainab midha.ch usama321
23) Energy = 0.5*F*change in length..
=0.5*6*(40-70) (Convert it to meter) that is 0.03 = 0.09 J
25,26,27,28,31 Suchal Riaz ZaqZainab midha.ch usama321

29) Sin(θ) (which is basically the spacing divided by the distance)

So since sin(θ) = nλ/d

If λ is 1/2 and d is doubled the sin(θ) is reduced by 1/4

So 3.0mm/4 = 0.75mm

32) P=I^2*R

Power in Y = 0.5^2 * 2 = 1/2
Power in X= 1

1/2/1 = 1/2 :)

16 is A:
because R is moving upwards and rightwards, we only need to consider rightwards as that makes the difference, because force is experienced towards right by the positive charge so moving upwards at 90 degrees doesn't make any difference in a uniform magnetic field. As positive charge moves towards direction of force the potential decreases as charges attract each other ( farther charges are more potential energy is present).

25 is B as p is not amplitude but just displacement and q is time period because graph is height against time.

26: D
We have I is directly proportional to A^2 and inversely proportional to x^2 so A^2 is inversely proportional to x ^ 2.
Hence, at P 8^2 is directly proportional to 1 / x^2 at Q A^2 is directly proportional to 1 / (2x)^2
Solving and removing proportionality sign we get (64/A^2) = 4 so A is 4.0 at Q.

31 is C :
E=V/D = 5000 / (0.8/100)
Now, electrostatic force (F) = q x E where q is charge of one electron.
But since the oil droplet has gained 5 electrons F = 5 x 1.6 x 10^-19 x E
and since it is negatively charged it is attracted towards positive that is upwards.

Reaction score
16 is A:
because R is moving upwards and rightwards, we only need to consider rightwards as that makes the difference, because force is experienced towards right by the positive charge so moving upwards at 90 degrees doesn't make any difference in a uniform magnetic field. As positive charge moves towards direction of force the potential decreases as charges attract each other ( farther charges are more potential energy is present).

25 is B as p is not amplitude but just displacement and q is time period because graph is height against time.

26: D
We have I is directly proportional to A^2 and inversely proportional to x^2 so A^2 is inversely proportional to x ^ 2.
Hence, at P 8^2 is directly proportional to 1 / x^2 at Q A^2 is directly proportional to 1 / (2x)^2
Solving and removing proportionality sign we get (64/A^2) = 4 so A is 4.0 at Q.

31 is C :
E=V/D = 5000 / (0.8/100)
Now, electrostatic force (F) = q x E where q is charge of one electron.
But since the oil droplet has gained 5 electrons F = 5 x 1.6 x 10^-19 x E
and since it is negatively charged it is attracted towards positive that is upwards.
Genius mode activated o_O ? :p

Reaction score
Hi ,
mass of gamma to be used is mass of electron , but how ? it should be as i guess 2* mass of electron as there are 2 moles

Attachments

• Phy.jpg
    Phy.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
The Fly wheel has a small magnet of mass M mounted on it. Each time the magnet passes the coil, a voltage pulse is generated , which is passes to the c.r.o the display of the c.r.o is 10 cm wide . The flywheel is rotating at a rate of about 3000 revolutions per minute . Which time-base setting will display clearly separate pulses onscreen.
It is been replied.
6000 revs per minute, that is 250 rev per second. As each revolution causes one pulse, just calculate the time for one pulse by 1/250 that is .004s. I can't give an exact answer but a time base of around 1 to 2ms should work.

Reaction score
View attachment 38682I cant understand the wording of this question.Is there anyone who can explain me the answer of this question?

In a line spectrum you can see the lines ...each line shows an energy level which is infact a discrete energy level ie having a particular value.When an electron moves from the lower shell to a higher or vice virsa there's a change in energy and the energy change is also discrete, so these discrete energy changes provides the evidence that energy levels were discrete hence we came to know about the existence of discrete electron energy levels in the atom.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi ,
mass of gamma to be used is mass of electron , but how ? it should be as i guess 2* mass of electron as there are 2 moles
Gamma particles have no mass and that 2 means 2 gamma particles not 2 moles gamma particles like in a a chemical equation. Gamma particles are electromagnetic waves (photons) hence have no rest mass like other electromagnetic waves. You cannot use stoichiometrice ratio like in chemistry and electrons and gamma particles are different. Electrons exhibit wave-particle duality unlike gamma particles.