• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can someone also help me with June 2008 P2?

Q 6 full (problem is I don't know what happen when switch S2 is closed or open)
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s08_qp_2.pdf
when S2 is closed the "path of least resistance" will take up most of the current
so the current would flow through S2 rather than through B cause here B has resistance
for (i) we use power= VI
we don't have I so we replace I with V/R which we take from the equation R=V/I
power=v^2/r
R=38.4
ii) they are talking about total poser
so if S1 open there is no power you get this one right because the circuit is not complete
S1 and S2 closed as i said current always takes easier path so it will not go through B so in P=IV I=O the P is also 0 for B but then the current flows through A so its 1.5k+0=1.5k
if all of them are closed here again we will take power of B as 0 and if you see we have A and C in parallel Total power=P1+P2......... SO 1.5+1.5
S1 is closed so so we have A and B in series 1/total power = 1/p1 + 1/p2 +............
so 1/total power= 1/1.5 +1/1.5
total power =0.75
here s1 and S3 are closed so we have A and B parallel to C ie (AB) parallel to C for parallel Total power=P1+P2.........
and we already found AB which is 0.75 so now we just need to add 1.5

Reaction score
magnanimous is no more chem master, he replied wrong answer n ZaqZainab got the correct one :D
Don't call me a master and then start calling me stupid cause i make mistakes cause i am a human (even the chem geniuses are not chem masters)
I believe in only one masted and thats Allah
P.s you be like take a joke will yeah :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't call me a master and then start calling me stupid cause i made a mistake cause i am a human i make mistakes (even the chem geniuses are not chem masters)
I believe in only one masted and that Allah
Ps means ?
Yup humans make mistakes!!!! :D But I was just teasing magnanimous... :) :p :LOL:

Reaction score
Don't call me a master and then start calling me stupid cause i make mistakes cause i am a human (even the chem geniuses are not chem masters)
I believe in only one masted and thats Allah

You remind me of my awesome maths teacher Sheikh Pierre :cry: He also says about the same thing when he talks about mathematics and all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can somebody explain the following questions answers in detail to me?:(
9702 May June 2013
Paper 21
Q6 part c and d
Thanks in advance!!!

Reaction score
when S2 is closed the "path of least resistance" will take up most of the current
so the current would flow through S2 rather than through B cause here B has resistance
for (i) we use power= VI
we don't have I so we replace I with V/R which we take from the equation R=V/I
power=v^2/r
R=38.4
ii) they are talking about total poser
so if S1 open there is no power you get this one right because the circuit is not complete
S1 and S2 closed as i said current always takes easier path so it will not go through B so in P=IV I=O the P is also 0 for B but then the current flows through A so its 1.5k+0=1.5k
if all of them are closed here again we will take power of B as 0 and if you see we have A and C in parallel Total power=P1+P2......... SO 1.5+1.5
S1 is closed so so we have A and B in series 1/total power = 1/p1 + 1/p2 +............
so 1/total power= 1/1.5 +1/1.5
total power =0.75
here s1 and S3 are closed so we have A and B parallel to C ie (AB) parallel to C for parallel Total power=P1+P2.........
and we already found AB which is 0.75 so now we just need to add 1.5

nice, thanks :)

Reaction score
T
Stationary waves are different from progressive waves in a number of respects:
There is no energy transfer along a stationary wave.
Within a half wavelength (one loop of a standing wave) all the particles vibrate in phase and they are all exactly out of phase (180° phase difference) with all the particles in the adjacent loop.
View attachment 37948 View attachment 37948

The amplitude of vibration varies with position within the loop.
There are nodes where the displacement is always zero and antinodes that vibrate with the same maximum amplitude.
The wavelength of a stationary wave is twice the distance between two adjacent nodes or antinodes.
Neighbouring nodes or antinodes are separated by lamda/2.

Thank you for this!

Reaction score