• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

2) 3000 revolutions per minute means 50 revolutions in one second. And therefor this the frequency.
Frequency = 50Hz
Now, using the frequency, we find the time taken for one revolution -----> T = 1/f = 1/50 -----> 0.02 seconds.
Time is o.o2 seconds and so, in other words, 20 milliseconds (0.02 x 1000).
So you see, out of all the options given, 10 ms cm^-1 is the closed. So, the answer is B.
If you use 1 s cm^-1 as time base, there would be too many oscillations on the screen and wouldn't give you a good display.
Similarly, 100 microseconds or 1 microsecond cm^-1 will give you a very extended display, you wouldn't be able to see proper oscillations.

31) The total resistance of the cable is 8 ohms. The cable is 800 meters long since that's the distance between the power supply and the relay and there are 2 wires in the cable. 0.005 ohms per m means in one wire the resistance is 0.005 ohms x 800 = 4 ohms. So total resistance is 2 x 4 = 8 ohms.
Add the resistance of the wires to the resistance of the relay. Relay's resistance is R = V/I = 16/0.6 = 26.7 ohms. (26.7 + 8)
To find the output voltage = IR = 0.6 x (26.7 + 8) = 20.82 and the answer is C.
We are treating the relay and wires as one unit. The current through wires does not change and so we can plug the 0.6 amps of the relay into the V=IR formula.
It just seems like it's complicated but it really isn't. Try looking at it in a simplified way.

I'll get back to you on the rest of the questions as soon as possible. :)

Reaction score
Hi please help me solve this, 71. answer is B but how can it be 20 J? I tried 8=4+Fs but it doesn't work

The change in energy is 4 joules (as 8 -4). So the change in kinetic energy will be twice = 4 x 2 = 16 joules.
But remember this is the change, not the final energy. So the 4 joules will become 16 + 4 = 20 joules.
Hope this was helpful. Sorry about the delayed reply.

Reaction score
The change in energy is 4 joules (as 8 -4). So the change in kinetic energy will be twice = 4 x 2 = 16 joules.
But remember this is the change, not the final energy. So the 4 joules will become 16 + 4 = 20 joules.

Basically difference is 16 J but initial is 4 J making it 20 J , thanksss =D

Reaction score
Hi everyone, AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb...

To get things organized in a better way, I am making this thread. As othewise, some queries remain unanswered!

So post your PHYSICS doubts in this thread. InshaAllah other people here will help me and you all. :D ;)

NOTE: If any doubts in the pastpapers, please post the link! You can find links here!

Any Physics related notes and links will be added here in this post. Feel free to provide the links to your notes around the forum, or any other websites! :)
Thanks!
Jazak Allah Khair!

Physics Notes:

Some links & Notes - by destined007

As physics p1 MCQS YEARLY Solved [explaination]
Physics Practical Tips - by arlery

Notes for A2 Direct Sensing (Applications) - shared by sweetiepie

Physics Summarised Notes (Click to download)

AS and A-Level Physics Definitions

A2: Physics Revision notes - by smzimran

Paper:5 Finding uncerainty in log - by XPFMember

Physics Paper 5 tips - by arlery

Physics Compiled Pastpapers: <Credits to CaptainDanger for sharing this..>

Here are the compiled A level topical Physics questions in PDF form...

Paper 1 : http://www.mediafire.com/?tocg6ha6ihkwd

Paper 2 & Paper 4 : http://www.mediafire.com/?g65j51stacmy33c

(Source : http://www.alevelforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14)
hey there how r u

do u know how to calculate the uncertinities in second question for p 5 ??

Reaction score

2) Here we use the formula K.E. = 1/2 mv^2
Now we know the mass but we do not know the velocity. But they've given us the distance. So using the distance, we find speed. 100 m can be covered in about 10 seconds by an athlete (this is more of using your common sense here.) So speed becomes = 100/10 = 10 ms^-2
K.E. = 1/2 x 80 kg x 10^2 = 4 x 10^3 joules. So answer is B.

29) For stationary waves in pipes, the formula is ----> fn = (2n - 1)c / 4L where L = length of pipe, fn = frequency, c = speed of the waves (3 x 10^8)
For pipe P, the length is 35 cm which means 1 and 3/4 of a stationary wave can form, since the wavelength is 20 cm.
For pipe Q, the length is 50 cm, which means 2 and 1/2 stationary waves can form.
So, in both pipes stationary waves can form, answer is A.
Remember, at nodes you have no vibration of air molecules but at anti-nodes, there is maximum vibration of air molecules.
untitled.JPG

32) The arrows point downwards which means the charge at the top is positive and the bottom is negative. So, the +Q will be attracted downwards and the -Q will be attracted upwards, spinning the rod anti-clockwise. The resultant force is zero because F = E/Q and the Q (both charges) are equal but opposite. So resultant force is zero. If the charges weren't the same in magnitude, then we would have a resultant force.

37) The circuit B is just wrong because ammeters are never connected in parallel to the components you're trying to get a reading of, they're always in series.
Circuit C won't show the largest reading because currents get divided in parallel circuit so that some goes in one branch and some in the other branch. And so the ammeter will show only part of the current reading.
Circuit A and D are now left. In circuit D, the resistors are in parallel but the ammeter is in series with the power supply and so, you see when the current divides, each branch of the current only has to go through one resistor and so not much energy in electrons is lost. but in A, the current passes through two resistors and more work is done by the electrons in passing through two resistors. Answer is D.

15) M1V1 = M2V2 ----> 2 kg x 2 ms^-1 = 1 kg x V2
V2 = 2 x 2/ 1
= 4 ms^-1 so the velocity of 1 kg trolley is 4 ms^-1
Kinetic energy of M1 trolley = 0.5 x 2 x 2^2 = 4 joules
Kinetic energy of M2 trolley = 0.5 x 1 x 4^2 = 8 joules
Total kinetic energy = 4 + 8 = 12 joules
Since all the stored potential energy is converted to kinetic (assuming no heat losses) --> gain in K.E. = loss in P.E
So energy stored is 12 joules. (D)

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me out in Q2.c.iii ?
I have found the gradient, which is 0.56. But I am having difficulties in finding the errors of the gradient.
The absolute errors that I've got on the table are: 0.13, 0.08, 0.06, 0.04, 0.04 and 0.03.
Please help me how to find the gradient errors!!!

And also Q2d!!!

PLEASE!

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_s07_qp_5.pdf

to calculate the error in gradient firstly calculate the gradient of worst fit line and subtract the gradient if worst fit line and the gradient of best fit line.
to calculate the value of rho in qno 2 d firstly re arrange the equation to R/L^2=rho/V+Ro. where Ro is constant. R/L^2 is gradient so put the value of gradient and value of volume given to calculate rho.
to calculate uncertainity in this use the gradient of worst fit to do the same above and subtract the values.
Hoped it helped..

Reaction score

Hey hey can you help me again, this time it's paper 5 june 2007 :confused::sick:(n) , if for example l is a quantity in cm with an uncertainty +- 0.4, so what happen to the uncertainty if they ask for l^2