• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Need help with A2 Physics

Guyz i need help in the following question frm year 2003 Physics Paper 4 Q1 (c) :%)
C(i): Change in gravitational Potential = Potential at Earth surface(GM/R) - Potential at Altitude(GM/r) where (r=R + Altitude)
C(ii) Kinetic Energy = Change in Potential Energy
0.5m(v)2 = GMm/R
0.5m(v)2 = GM/R x m
o.5m(v)2 = Change in gravitational potential ( Ci) x m
"m" in Kinetic energy and the "m" in Potential energy will cancel out.
Therefore:
0.5(v)2 = Change in gravitational Potential.

Hope this was useful!!!!
Good luck for the exams.:)

Reaction score
can anyone solve question 5 part b and c(11) of nov 12 paper 43 physics?
5(b). Outside the area between the 2 magnets the magnetic field is zero. As the probe comes closer and move between the magnet
the magnetic field lines are cut, hence an e.m.f is induced. The induced e.m.f is maximum and constant inside the magnetic field. The e.m.f
decrease steeply to zero, once the probe moves out of the magnetic field, because no field lines are cut.
Hope this was useful.
Good luck for the exams!!!! :)

Attachments

• Q5b.png
    Q5b.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
I had practical AS physics paper 33 n there was an electricity question that I mite hv done incorrectly. Pls c the thumbnail below to help me knw if i did correctly! I accidentally used the ammeter wire as a rheostat slider. The rheostat was not a real one but a one made up with wire coiled around a wood block.

Attachments

• Phy Q.png
    Phy Q.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Phy Q.png
    Phy Q.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
5(b). Outside the area between the 2 magnets the magnetic field is zero. As the probe comes closer and move between the magnet
the magnetic field lines are cut, hence an e.m.f is induced. The induced e.m.f is maximum and constant inside the magnetic field. The e.m.f
decrease steeply to zero, once the probe moves out of the magnetic field, because no field lines are cut.
Hope this was useful.
Good luck for the exams!!!! :)
and c part (11)??

Reaction score

Here, you just have to apply the formula signal to noise ratio = 10 * log(signal power/noise power) → [pg 522 in the coursebk]

Now, first of all v need to find the minimum signal power acceptable in the fibre
We know the minimum signal to noise ratio = 25 dB
Noise power in the fibre = 6.1 * 10^-19 W

So, signal to noise ratio → 25 = 10 * log(min. signal power/ 6.1 * 10^-19)
antilog 2.5 = min signal power/(6.1 * 10^-19)
So, minimum signal power = 1.93 * 10^-16 W

Now, we have to find the signal loss in the fibre,
Signal loss = 10 * log(power supplied/ min signal power)
Signal loss = 10 * log[(6.5 * 10^-3) / (1.93 * 10^-16)]
signal loss = 135 dB

Now, this is the total loss in signal → total attenuation
We know, attenuation per unit length = attenuation/ max uninterrupted length of cable → [pg 522 in the coursebk]
We need th find the max uninterrupted length of fibre,
Attenuation per unit length = 1.6 dB/km
Total attenuation = 135 dB
So, max fibre length = 135 / 1.6 → 85 km

Dist btw towns = 75 km

So, no amplifiers required.

Hope u gt it!!
:p

Reaction score
Here, you just have to apply the formula signal to noise ratio = 10 * log(signal power/noise power) → [pg 522 in the coursebk]

Now, first of all v need to find the minimum signal power acceptable in the fibre
We know the minimum signal to noise ratio = 25 dB
Noise power in the fibre = 6.1 * 10^-19 W

So, signal to noise ratio → 25 = 10 * log(min. signal power/ 6.1 * 10^-19)
antilog 2.5 = min signal power/(6.1 * 10^-19)
So, minimum signal power = 1.93 * 10^-16 W

Now, we have to find the signal loss in the fibre,
Signal loss = 10 * log(power supplied/ min signal power)
Signal loss = 10 * log[(6.5 * 10^-3) / (1.93 * 10^-16)]
signal loss = 135 dB

Now, this is the total loss in signal → total attenuation
We know, attenuation per unit length = attenuation/ max uninterrupted length of cable → [pg 522 in the coursebk]
We need th find the max uninterrupted length of fibre,
Attenuation per unit length = 1.6 dB/km
Total attenuation = 135 dB
So, max fibre length = 135 / 1.6 → 85 km

Dist btw towns = 75 km

So, no amplifiers required.

Hope u gt it!!
:p
JazakAllah :) May Allah Bless u :)

Reaction score
In short, yes, the energy of all waves in the electromagnetic spectrum is carried by the photon; it is the quanta of electromagnetic radiation, and as such it carries the energy possessed in every wave, and it interacts with other particles by transferring this energy, etc.

In fact, electrons can be "made into" waves, since they exist in the form of waves; de Broglie, in his thesis, considered the possibility of matter having wave like properties, and he derived the following equation, that relates the momentum of a material object to its wavelength:

Wavelength = h/p
Where h = Planck's Constant
p = momentum of matter - based object concerned.

Usually, heavier objects have such small wavelengths that they can be ignored and assumed to not even exist; however, for matter, on the atomic level (e.g. electrons, etc), the values of momentum for the concerned particles are so small that the de Broglie wavelength is actually noticeable (by experiment) - for example, fast moving electrons can be diffracted; since only waves can be diffracted, the electrons can be proved to be possessing some sort of wave - like property.

Hope this helped!
Good Luck for all your exams!

Thank You very much (y) .. That cleared a lot of my concepts... So then how align photons into a wave .. or are they disturbed from the surroundings like sound.

Reaction score
Thank You very much (y) .. That cleared a lot of my concepts... So then how align photons into a wave .. or are they disturbed from the surroundings like sound.

I'm sorry, I didn't really understand, but electromagnetic waves are not disturbances of air particles or any medium surrounding them; these waves are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields, that oscillate perpendicular to the direction of motion; they're not disturbances of the surrounding medium, just fluctuating/varying magnetic and electric fields.

Hope I understood right, sorry if I didn't!

Good Luck for all your exams!

Reaction score
From (b), λ = h/√(2mE)
λ² = h²/2mE
E = h²/2mλ²

Also, E = qV
qV = h²/2mλ²

Insert values:
(1.6*10^-19)V = (6.63*10^-34)²/(2)(9.11*10^-31)(0.4*10^-9)²
V = 9.4 V

Reactions: Dug