• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
u mean only the phase diff???
its easier if u convert the angle in radian ie multiply by (π/180°) ----> 60° = π/3 rads.
n c this ---> View attachment 24783
thts whr the new wave will start!
thanks##
can you please draw it with caliperating the amplitude and the phase differnce ... because i want to make sure .. and my teacher didnt explain this topic well!

pi/3 rad will be on left ??? wouldnt it

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s11_qp_41.pdf
Can someone please explain question 10c (ii) and 11b?
In question 10 c ii, why do we multiply x (thickness) by 2?
Thank you so, so much.

In c ii,
Io= 0.018
The intensity detected at at the surface, I, = 0.012

From the formula I=Ioexp(alpha*x) we know that x represents the distance traveled by the ultrasound. Since the 0.012 was measured at the surface, it traveled the distance x twice- once on its was to the layer between the fat and the muscle, and it's way back to the surface, So
attenuation in fat = exp(–48 × 2x × 10–2)
0.012 = 0.018 exp(–48 × 2x × 10^–2)
x = 0.42cm

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s11_qp_41.pdf
Can someone please explain question 10c (ii) and 11b?
In question 10 c ii, why do we multiply x (thickness) by 2?
Thank you so, so much.

As for question 11 b
(i) The amplitude for the sinusoidal signal would remain unchanged since the question mentions it is being modulated by FREQUENCY and not amplitude. So the amplitude would remain 5V
(ii) and (iii) Now, the carrier wave has frequency deviation of the carrier wave is 20 kHz V^-1. This means that for every 1 V change in the signal, the frequency of the carrier wave changes by 20 kHz. Now the carrier wave has an amplitude of 2V. So shift produced by the signal is 2*20= +- 40
So max frequency is 600+40= 640 kHz and min frequency is 600-40= 560 kHz
(iv) Since the carrier wave has a frequency of 7kHz, the change every second of the modulated wave is going to 7000.

Reaction score
q 5a plz !
..... i always get confused with phase and path differnce and stuff ... any explaination on how to draw them ,,, ???

Phase difference always got to me as well
Anyhow
Phase difference=[(distance between the two waves on the x-axis)/(period of either one of the waves] *360 (or 2pi of you want to work with radians. I prefer degrees, and the question is in degrees as well).

So they already told us phase diff. which was 60 degrees. We can count the number of small boxes to know the period. The number of small boxes is 30 for one whole wave.
so putting everything into our formula
60= (distance between the waves)/30 * 360
60/360= (distance between the two waves/30)
1/6= distance between the two waves/30
distance between the two waves 1/6 * 30
=5.

So now we know the distance between the two waves is going to be 5 small boxes. And the period is going to be the same (30 small boxes). So you need to start the wave 5 small boxes from the original wave. and the period will be the same.
I simplified it a bit for you! Hope you wont get confused any more :p

Reaction score
Phase difference always got to me as well
Anyhow
Phase difference=[(distance between the two waves on the x-axis)/(period of either one of the waves] *360 (or 2pi of you want to work with radians. I prefer degrees, and the question is in degrees as well).

So they already told us phase diff. which was 60 degrees. We can count the number of small boxes to know the period. The number of small boxes is 30 for one whole wave.
so putting everything into our formula
60= (distance between the waves)/30 * 360
60/360= (distance between the two waves/30)
1/6= distance between the two waves/30
distance between the two waves 1/6 * 30
=5.

So now we know the distance between the two waves is going to be 5 small boxes. And the period is going to be the same (30 small boxes). So you need to start the wave 5 small boxes from the original wave. and the period will be the same.
I simplified it a bit for you! Hope you wont get confused any more :p

You cleared a very big concept for me. Thanks man

Reaction score
Reaction score
As for question 11 b
(i) The amplitude for the sinusoidal signal would remain unchanged since the question mentions it is being modulated by FREQUENCY and not amplitude. So the amplitude would remain 5V
(ii) and (iii) Now, the carrier wave has frequency deviation of the carrier wave is 20 kHz V^-1. This means that for every 1 V change in the signal, the frequency of the carrier wave changes by 20 kHz. Now the carrier wave has an amplitude of 2V. So shift produced by the signal is 2*20= +- 40
So max frequency is 600+40= 640 kHz and min frequency is 600-40= 560 kHz
(iv) Since the carrier wave has a frequency of 7kHz, the change every second of the modulated wave is going to 7000.
Thank you! Your explanation was very clear.