• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I1/I2= A1^2/A2^2

I1= Initial intensity
I2= New intensity
A1= Initial amplitude
A2 = New amplitude

I1/ 2I1 = (2.8)^2 / A2^2.. We have to find A2.. So solve this you'd get the answer.. I think its 3.959 ..

Thank you very much ! this was very helpful
I wanted to know whether this formula can be applied to ALL the intensity questions Thank you again!

Reaction score
may/june 12 qp 21 question 3 (b).can some1 explain
3bi) speed max at mean position which means any time when disp 0 hence 0.2
3bii) max potential energy must b when it is bottom most part hece t=0
3biii) 0.2

Reaction score
Could anyone please explain how the relationship between Intensity and amplitude of a wave? I know that intensity = amplitude^2 but I always get confused when we are asked questions like.. twice the intensity, half the intensity, twice the amplitude etc. Please help me understand that.
Thanks

Reaction score
Could anyone please explain how the relationship between Intensity and amplitude of a wave? I know that intensity = amplitude^2 but I always get confused when we are asked questions like.. twice the intensity, half the intensity, twice the amplitude etc. Please help me understand that.
Thanks

I is directly propotional to A^2

I = kA^2
I/A^2 = k

We always find the value of k and then find the twice the amplitude etc etc..

Like if I is 6 and A is 2 .. and another wave has Double the amplitude..

6= k(2^2)
6= 4k
k= 1.5
I=kA^2
I=1.5(2*2)^2
I=24 Answer..

similarly in terms of I and A..

I = kA^2
k = I/A^2

Doubling A means ..

I = kA^2
I = k (2A)^2
I = k*4A^2
I = 4A^2 * I/A^2
I = 4I

Reaction score
I wonder if amplitude is a vector quality or scalar? The definition is max displacement. Displacement is a vector, but some books also said that amplitude is the MAGNITUDE of max displacement. I don't think that amplitude needs a direction, right? So I just got confused.........

asd

Reaction score
no the weight is taken perp to the ground so y we taking paralell to slope this concept bugged me throughout the year
You do realize if you release a ball from rest on a slope it starts to move down the slope. Clearly, its the weight component "DOWN THE SLOPE" (along the slope) which makes it move down. You have to find that component which does this.
In this case the car is already moving down the slope but the forward force will always be slightly larger than the driving force because of that little contribution from the weight component down the slope.

Reaction score
yeah i get it now took a while i knew there had to be i couldnt resolve it properly

Reactions: asd
Reaction score
no the weight is taken perp to the ground so y we taking paralell to slope this concept bugged me throughout the year

Can you explain this concept? Because I don't know this one... I am weak in forces.. How do you do this? cuz with what I was doing.. I was getting a wrong answer in the component of weight in that question...

PS. Would appreciate a diagram on which you show the direction of weight.. and then resolve the component of weight..